Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinavalladares21

mushy falling leaves, dying plants ..

My moonstone, tigers jaw and one of my haworthias have died by becoming mushy to the point of falling apart at a single poke. On the other hand my baby toes and lithops (In the same pot) are wrinkly. I don't know what I've done wrong, I try to almost never water most of my Succulents and most of these were newly reported which could have had something to do with it as their root systems seemed shallow and smaller than i'd have expected them to be.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Pictures tell a thousand tales, we need some to help us help you!! Be sure to include the 'mix' in your shots please.

IMHO, multi pots are 'generally' not the ideal way of growing unless you are really well clued up on their care, but that's just me.

Gill UK

carolinavalladares21 thanked greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
  • carolinavalladares21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So the others are too far gone but the baby toes were the last straw. This is kind of what all the others look like. O can't figure if its too much water or too little?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

These are indoors? What are the light levels and temperature?

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Looks like a bad mix which retained too much water. Are the lithops toast? If not, you could remove them, set them on some newspaper to dry for a few days, them repot them in a better mix.

Nancy

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Has the pot got holes, most terra cotta ones do....but some don't...it needs a hole/s. I would separate, clean them up, re-pot each plant separately, even the lithops one to a pot and in a new and better mix (plenty of info on suitable gritty cacti mixes here, type it in the search box), give them more light and see what happens, as IMHO I don't think they have much chance if left alone in there. The baby toes looks as though its on its way out and could well end up rotting the others.

Gill UK

• carolinavalladares21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are indoors. I live in Miami where it is mostly wet outdoors. They live on a West facing windowsill and get what I thought was plenty of filtered light. I tried watering them as not watering them seemed to have been the wrong idea.. And now two of the lithops have died as well. It does have a large hole in the bottom but I rarely watered this pot and when I do it is sparsely.. I have been on vacation so I will try to separate and re-pot asap. But I left a whole pot of several kinds of haworthia outside for the 5 days I was of town hoping to give them more sun and they seem to be doing worse than before I even left them under an awning so they would not get any rain. These plants seem to b the easiest to care for and still they are out witting me.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Under the awning, could your haworthias get DIRECT sun? If so, they should've been acclimated first. But most of these make great house plants because they don't generally need as much sun as most succulents. Can you take a pic of them please?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

There ARE soils that can significantly help plants over-exposed to water due to irrigating too frequently, or from lengthy or repeated exposure to rain. I deally your plants would be in a soil like that.

If you MUST deal with a soil that retains water in excess, the info at th link will help you understand How to Reduce the Effects of Excess Water Retention.

Al

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Incorrect watering with a water retentive mix. These need bright direct light, not filtered light,to grow well, and I would recommend potting the plants separately. If i were in Miami, they would be outside, but sheltered from the rain.

Christopher

carolinavalladares21 thanked kaktuskris
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Carolina21 - I'm on the west coast of FL and we are really wet, too. I have all my plants outside in the 1-1-1 gritty mix and most have thrived. I elevate pots on slats of wood to ensure drainage.

The summer heat and rain did a few in - particularly Aeoniums and Sempervivums. I may give them another try - in pots of gritty mix and bringing them inside during the summer heat. I had tried to plant both in the ground. It was a bad idea (for me).

carolinavalladares21 thanked Crenda 10A SW FL