Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lichelle58

Can they be saved? 4 months before/after pics

lichelle58
9 years ago

I got this beautiful terrarium four months ago as a gift:
{{gwi:2122984}}
I kept it in a north-facing corner-room of our apartment that has 6 standard sized windows. Unfortunately, #4 died only three weeks in and I removed it. #5 have been dying off slowly, they're not as plump and keep dropping leaves. Eventually the main stem shrivels up and I remove it. I only have two of #5 left. Then #6 died about three week ago...
{{gwi:2122986}}

Then I found these little white furry balls in the soil last week. They were around #5 and where #4 used to be:
{{gwi:2122987}}
I'm a newb at all this but I read on some forums here that it might be root mealybugs. So I took everything out of the terrarium, washed the glass, disposed of the soil, washed out the soil from all the roots, soaked them in hot water for a few seconds, left them out to dry for a day, mixed up a new soil medium (cactus mix, gravel, and perlite), repotted them in separate containers and watered them (maybe I shouldn't of watered them right away...?). I don't have pictures of what the roots looked like, but they seemed small and flimsy. Is that normal? I'm especially concerned about #1 because it is so long and doesn't have many roots to hold it upright. I didn't see any black color on any of them but could it still be root rot?

Here's how they look now in their new soil and pots:

{{gwi:2122988}}

{{gwi:2122989}}

{{gwi:2122990}}

{{gwi:2122991}}

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hello, sorry you have had probs with your plants, and I agree the terrarium did look lovely. I can see several problems however. One problem lies with the fact that some of the plants need different conditions, the Venus Fly Trap for instance. Also lack of light has made #1 & #5 very etiolated. As I don't grow many c&s (I concentrate on Crassulas aka Jades) I'm sure someone with greater knowledge will soon be here to help more ;)
    The spaghnum moss topping is a mistake as cacti need good drainage and if this was wet/moist it could have rotted the stems (ok for the Fly trap though) The Ph of the soil may be wrong as again Fly traps like an acidic soil and rain water with moist conditions and can even sit in a dish of water. Cacti/succs like fast draining soils and hate to sit in water or have moisture around them. The bowl also has no drainage holes despite a drainage layer at the bottom.

It is such a shame when retailers sell collections of non compatible plants in the wrong type of container, but I guess it's just a ploy to get a sale. The individual plants would have been just fine if taken out and planted individually in their own specific mix and given the right conditions to thrive. I think the others will be salvageable, as I said just wait for some more answers.

Gill UK

This post was edited by greenclaws on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 8:03

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Hi Lichelle. I agree with Gill, although I would have used significantly stronger, profanity-laced language about succulent terrariums.

Just to add:

#1: I would personally slice that etiolated top off, it is beyond help, it will not recover it's shape. Do not water until you see new growth. Give lots of sun (or 12 hours under fluorescent light).

#2. If that is a haworthia, it will be more forgiving. South-side window. Do not water again until spring.

#3 As much sun or light as you can provide, do not water until September!

#4 Pain in the ass. This has to be in sphagnum moss with absolutely no soil, preferably under glass (for humidity in winter), watered only with distilled water or rain water. Grr. Then out in the sun in summer. Personally, I wouldn't undertake heroic measures unless you get really and completely obsessed with carnivorous plants.

#5 It will be fine in that pot, just dont water it until you feel the pot is very light (i.e. completely dry). If a leaf drops, just put it back in the pot, it will sprout.

#6 You would have loved this thing outside in your zone! I encourage you to get some. You just plop them outside and forget about them. They turn red in the winter.

i hope this helps. As you may have guessed, I have killed every single one of those plants myself, except haworthias.

Keep posting! Pax.

Pagan

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Did someone make the terrarium, or did they purchase it like that? If they purchased it like that, there ought to be a law...
    As per the previous comments, these plants are not compatible. The Venus Flytrap was the only plant suited to terrarium culture, and probably died due to lack of water. That is the only way I can explain how your Lithops, #3 survived as long as it has. All the succulents need as much light as possible, as in a south facing window, preferably. I do think the Haworthia has the best chance of survival. But I would put them in smaller pots.

Christopher

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Glad you have got some good replies here as I am really out of my depth with these, so I could only give a general opinion. I hope the info that others have given will help, I'm sure it will...good luck!

Gill UK

• lichelle58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the replies everyone!! :D

I'm thinking of getting a growing lamp because unfortunately, my apartment doesn't have any north facing windows. Any suggestions?

• lichelle58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Help! The lithop (#3) was looking really shriveled on Friday so I made the mistake of watering it :(. I didn't read until yesterday that during the winter they should not be watered at all b/c the new leaves are using the water from the old leaves so any additional water would make them rot! I also moved them to a sunny south-facing window in our apartment hallway.

Then, yesterday I noticed its base was totally squishy and leaning! So I dug it out as gently as possible and took these pics.

Is he gonna be okay?

{{gwi:2122992}}
    {{gwi:2122993}}
    {{gwi:2122994}}
    {{gwi:2122995}}

Currently he's still laying on top of the soil but in a sunny window.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

'Is he gonna be ok?'........Sadly I don't think so, it's beyond redemption, even a miracle won't revive it now. It's gone downhill really quickly, the remaining plants need help from the experts on here....and as mentioned I'm not into cacti so hang on in there till someone else pics up on this.

Gill UK

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

It looks like RIP, lithop.
    They need very little water over all, even in growing season.
    From your photo, it looks like it was just starting to split? So the older leaves were shrinking.