Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagardens

Garden inspiration/ideas...

chicagardens
10 years ago

Hi- most of my succulents are in terracotta pots of various sizes and shapes. I'm getting ready to organize as I recently purchased some used metal patio tables, spiral metal plant stands, hanging metal planters and single pot metal plant stands. I'd love to see how you've organized your pots using similar "furniture" pieces. I'm just not sure how to put it all together and looking for some inspirations/ideas from you all. :) looking fwd to seeing some amazing pics :)

Comments (22)

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

found some inspirational images doing a google search

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this one is nice too...

• gargaile
    10 years ago

Here's mine

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow gargaile! That's way too organized and tidy. (: It's amazing! I love it! Thx for sharing.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Here are some tables I made. They do double duty as a banister.
    {{gwi:464282}}

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wantonamara- now there's an idea. I love it! Makes it easy too be them around. Did you use plywood for the base and beams for the top?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I used stained 4x4 fir for the top because that is what I had around for free and womanized 2x4 for the bottom. Thay will grey out in the weather in a year and loose that new wood look. If one stains them , it is best to stain it before you screw them together.
    {{gwi:464283}}

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I was thinking this year of buying some of those big wooden spools they use for wire and putting my plants on them for the summer. Everyone had them when I was a kid for tables in the backyard. I've found them for about $30 on Craigslist. They should be tall enough so the dogs can't get to the plants.

Great ideas and displays Gargaile, Want and Chicago! Has me thinking of summer!!

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wantonamara- very nice. Thx for the reference pic and info. I have zero experience with tools or creating stuff (: on occasion though I have little house projects for our handy guide. This one had made it on the list (: makes it easy to move around, especially for our super hot summers.

Laura- I'm not at all sure what those look like, any chance you can post a pic? I think my pup has passed that "moms plants are toys" stage, nonetheless, most of my stuff is currently out of her reach :)

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

wantonamera very cool carts!! I think I'm going to do the same wth some 4x4s and stain them red like yours

I got some ikea galvenized shelves for $15 (i think ) They're like 4 ft tall and 2.5 ft wide and easy to assemble. then I stack pots in them

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40103727/

good luck chica

Here is a link that might be useful: galvenized shelf 15$

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yorkiemiki- $15 at ikea, ay. Hmmm. How do they hold up weight wise? Are they sturdy? I have an ikea 20 miles away, I'll have to stop by next time I'm in the area.

• succulentlife
    10 years ago

I used plastic furniture pieces and pipes since FL gets very wet at the times. Green fabric in a background is used to make a canopy over my set up in a case of rain..

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Not very good photo, but here is the metal & glass shelving unit (got it thru freecycle - was custom made for someone to display ceramics), sitting in front of the sliding door.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 11:53

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow Nik, that's fantastic! I love it. Looks amazing. You've given me an idea for some plastic shelving I have, it's missing the pipes to hold the pieces together. Thx for sharing.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I have a terrible time with the combo of being clumsy in close proximity to top-heavy plants, which C/S tend to be, unless the pot is heavy enough. It's much easier for me to use larger pots and pack multiple plants in them. It's also so much easier to tend, for example, 5 pots with 10 plants each, than 50 little pots. (Not to mention issues with wind blowing things around occasionally. Also much easier to handle while inside for winter, if necessary where you are. As plants grow at various rates, occasional shifting of companions may be necessary, but I just like the look of the group pots, and all of the plants seem to improve when they have so much more space (that doesn't stay wet too long - lots of tiny plants using the moisture fairly quickly.)

This kind of thing might appeal to you also, and it's not hard to find interesting containers.

This aluminum pan is temporarily housing plants (many started from cuttings) too tiny for the depth of a regularly-shaped pot that would be this big at the surface (until they are big enough to shuffle into more decorative planters/combos.)

10 years ago

And I don't think anybody could 'overwater' this thing, wire mesh on sides and bottom. Fits on windowsill perfectly, and the curtains don't knock it over like the little 2" pots most of these plants came home in. This was put together in October, pic from today.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Tiff, I realize that mesh bin/basket is likely plastic coated but if not -- no rust issues or is it too soon to tell?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I got the tall chromed shelves at Lowe's that are around $80. They have wheels and can be moved around, which is great for when you want to give the plants more or less sun.

Yes they rust, but I think they'll last long enough. The plastic ones were too ugly, and in the sun the plastic will get brittle and likely not last any longer.

If you can find hardwood (not softwood) pallets from somewhere for free, you can fashion pretty nice shelves and tables for just your time. Link has a great project for a table made from pallet wood:

Here is a link that might be useful: make a table from a pallet

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

And here's a great post on shelves for pots, very pretty, from the excellent So Cal garden blog growingobsession (not mine, unfortunately)

Here is a link that might be useful: plant shelf inspiration

10 years ago

Paul, it's been inside since soon after being assembled, so not a chance to rust yet. I think this thing's original purpose was as a school locker accessory, seems to have the same finish, magnetic. (I popped its' tag @ tha thrift store!) Pretty sure it's painted, and equally sure it will start to rust instantly if/as soon as the paint is scratched. Hope it's a planter for a few years, and I intend to hang it from a tree limb for summer.

Is rust harmful for plants? I have some cute cookie tins that aren't nice enough for cookies anymore, mostly because of little rust spots. Love their wide, shallow shape, was thinking about putting holes in the bottoms...

A pallet is an excellent source of pieces of wood which one can use to make anything they can think of. If you (anyone) investigate nearby businesses, you might find a source of other free wood scraps for the taking, if you ask around (not implying that pallets are always free, or advocating taking anything from anywhere w/o obtaining permission first.)

Anyway, with such, we've made various planters with and w/o legs, little plant stands, a few larger tables, a foot rest for computer chair, storage boxes, a potting workbench, shelves. And, as mentioned above, thrift store is also a great place to find unexpected 'garden' items.

Hoovb, the pics in the last link are very inspirational!!

I can't wait to actually arrange the pots outside again! My overall goal is to have all plants hanging if possible. Getting pots off of sizzling hot porch floor is one reason (I think the sun is appreciated, but not the level of heat, much too hot for bare feet) dogs pees on pots on ground is another, too many worms climb in when on the ground, the porch floor is deteriorating too fast from runoff from plants being watered, and the wind can't blow them over, but the swaying is soothing to watch. Also puts them at eye level, love that.

Forgot to mention one thing above, one negative to group pots I've experienced is lop-sidedness. One would turn a singly-potted plant occasionally to keep it symmetrical and upright. When there's a multitude of variously-sized plants, there's usually a mental 'front and back' which can soon manifests into reality if the plant spends an extended time in the same direction. I'm torn between liking both (having a 'good side' vs. symmetry) and feel like I need to decide something on some pots now, after what's already been a long winter inside... but maybe they will look less uneven outside, where the sun is definitely not as 1-sided as being near a window. Does anyone else encounter this conflict?

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hoovb - thx so much for the links...those were amazing with some great inspiration pics! it sent me on a hunt for more images. I'm really glad we got some rain these last couple days, my garden will be very happy...I'll need to really give the organization serious thought and fast.

purple- you make some great points, things worth thinking about...especially the heat- we are in the high 90s and a few 100s here and there.

• chicagardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:464286}}

{{gwi:464287}}

Sponsored
The Art of Landscape
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Award Winning Landscape Artist & Designer for Larger DC Metro Area