Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tired_of_digging

Mirabilis Jalapa - How to develop a large caudex?

tired_of_digging
9 years ago

This year, I'm planning to order some new seeds to increase the gene pool which is currently small. Plants appear very often in books, believe it or not, as caudex-forming plants. To my surprise, the ones in my garden grow segmented branches (each branch looks like a "bone" with its wider extremities). They tend to become floppy if left to grow too much. Relocating them is not easy, because of the long deep-rooting habit of the taproot, and this often kills the plant.

Comments (8)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

I was surprised when I saw the title of the thread as I've never heard of them being grown/or being able to grow a caudex! 'Caudex' is a specific term used for a swollen part of the stem, that may grow underground, but can also be happily lifted to 'show it off' above ground. Mirabilis Jalapa have tubers...underground storage organs that don't usually grow above soil level.The ones I've grown here in the UK have never shown any inclination to do that, they had long, rather soft stems that were as you say, jointed somewhat. Only the underground 'carrot like' tuber looked anything remotely like a caudex in my mind, but it only ever grew underground and was, just like a carrot!! Where did you hear that they developed a 'caudex' as we know it? The Mirabilis genus has lots more varieties, was it another variety that has 'caudex like' growths, I can't find any info to say that there is one though? I think you may be confusing the terms and if so the c&s forum is your wrong forum, you need garden plants or similar :)

Gill UK
    Edit.. further thoughts, Mj's will grow from seed but will take several years to develop a TUBER big enough in order to flower, far better to buy tubers in the first place and skip the wait, hope this helps :)

This post was edited by greenclaws on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 7:59

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is it really a cactus or succulent???

it treated as an annual for me ...you plop down seeds ... where you want them .. and they grow ...

i understand they are perennial in warmer areas .... but i dont understand why if i can grow them to flower inside of my 5 month warm season... why you would bother with moving them ...

if a plant becomes overly mature .. why not just cut it back ... though as i noted.. mine never get floppy... because they get frosted to the ground long before that happens ...

you are in a box... look outside it ...

in my experience.. of 1500 hosta... there is no need for the two plant ..... to be hand pollinated ... to be next to each other... if your premise is to increase the gene pool .... one would think you would be more hands on.. rather than rely on the bees ... or in this particular case ... the night pollinators

often .... plants that are very fragrant.. and bloom late in the afternoon .. in this case 4 oclock ... are pollinated by night insects ... which means.. you dont have to get up.. before the crack of dawn to beat the day insects to the newly opening flower ... [actually you emasculate the NOT opened flower.. and take the pollen.. before the bug gets there .. and store it.. until the other plant become receptive.. some hours later]

of course... that leaves out.. simply wanting to beat the system.. and learn how to move them ... for the sake of learning how.. all the power to you on that ...

but if you want to expand the gene pool ... there are other ways around that part ..

good luck

ken

• tired_of_digging
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have seen one fat trunk which I originally mistook for a stone with a stem in the background. This is the only time I've seen an actual plant in this growth form.
    If you want a reference, the book is called "Pachycaul and Caudiciform plants" by Philippe De-Vosjoli. The picture is in page 19. The plant is also called "Four O'Clock", and searching both popular and scientific name shows me the same plant I have.
    I don't know if in my area the plant can grow as a perennial. Temperatures are right for that, but the stem becomes floppy and untidy, and tends to break.In addition, it likes to grow in the wrong places where it does not last long. Happily, it produces a copious amount of seeds.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

I treat mine just like it where an english ivy during cooler times

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

They are most definitely neither a succulent or a cactus as they are classified as 'tuberous perennials' that can also and are often grown as annuals. Good luck anyway :)

Gill UK

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Yeah it's a bit off topic for C&S yet it can caude if treated correctly

Here is a link that might be useful: bihramann

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hi Nomen, thanks for that link, how interesting. I guess according to them a potato can be classed as a Caudiform, lol!!!

Gill UK

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths