Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biinaboo

ID please, century plant?

Kristiina DiOrio
9 years ago

I pulled these pups off a flower stalk (which was taller than the house) from an abandoned home in my neighborhood. They filled those 6" pots in just a few short months. Probably would have grown more with room. Can anyone tell what it is I have here? The mother was 4-5 feet tall and around. I don't think it had an verigation, but it was a little more yellow than these (probably because it was dying out) She took a dive once I harvested the last of the pups.

Thanks! Kristiina

Comments (10)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It sounds like an agave-century plant to me. Does it have sharp points on the tip of the leaves? The big plant always dies after it blooms. They were a hot seller for me when I sold plants at the flea market. The nurseries down in South Florida stopped growing them because of too many workman's comp. claims. Too many people got poked in the eyes by them.

• Kristiina DiOrio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yikes! No, these don't have the sharp tips or serrated leaf edge. They look sharp but aren't. Maybe it's because they are a little leggy?

Kristiina

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Maybe a yucca? They can get quite tall.

These are pups from mine -

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Yes. It's a yucca. Spanish bayonet. The leaves get sharp as razors.

• Kristiina DiOrio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda, You're certainly looks like mine.

Zackey, when I googled images of the spanish bayonet, the mature plants seemed much larger (taller and tree like) compared to the mom I pulled these pups from. This one was like a spikey globe that was 4-5 feet in diameter. Are there different versions of the bayonet?

Kristiina

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Kristina, we have a lot of yuccas down here and I can't tell one from another! HD and Lowes don't help with the cute names they give to them.

Mine was a cane that sprouted 4 branches. Got it at HD - and planted 2 of them close together. (slaps self in head!) I didn't realize how much it would spread. They root easily and seem to grow pretty fast. Here they are about a year and a half old.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    9 years ago

AFAIK, Yuccas do not produce bulbils. I would look toward Furcraea for an ID when your charges get a bit larger.

This post was edited by GermanStar on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 15:36

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Good point, GermanStar! The pups that I have gotten were growing next to the trunk, not from a flower stalk - a tidbit I missed when reading the original post.

Kristina, we may not be talking about the same plant after all. (That's why I posted a picture of my plant for you to compare. Babies may look similar.)

• Kristiina DiOrio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah. Yes. The babes look similar but this definitely won't trunk. And the flower stalk was easily 15 feet. I collected around 150 and guess half already had fallen on the driveway.

How big should they be for a solid ID?

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    9 years ago

Hard to say, Furcraeas grow fast when they like their digs. I can't have them here in 9b AZ (all Furcraea are very tender), so am none too familiar. Go through some Furcraea pics online, I'm sure you could narrow it down to no more than a handful of candidates.