Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Result with Crassula ('Sunset'?) cuttings

My two small inter-nodal cuttings that I planted in 2.5 inch pots on 1st Dec have decided to put down tiny roots for me. I couldn't hold back any longer and decided to have a look and see what was going on down below. I'm pleased to report they both now have roots. No big deal I guess to get a jade root, but I had doubts on these due to the time of year and how they were taken. Hopefully they will soon begin to put on some top growth and their red tinges will begin to re-appear at some stage. I can then see what I may or may not have as the jury is out on an ID at present.

Gill UK
{{gwi:2123098}}
{{gwi:2123099}}

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Excellent!
    They do have the 'Red Horn Tree' look in the leaf....

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh, thanks, I'm pleased to 'hear' that :)

Gill UK

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Hi, Gill. Because you left the apical meristems (growing branch tips) attached to the cuttings, they are tip cuttings. If you cut off the tiny pair of leaves between the larger leaves in the first picture, upper left, it would then be an internodal cutting.

You're going to get 4 'trunks' emerging from soil level on that cutting, so if you want a single-trunk specimen you should be prepared to prune the emerging new trunks back as they appear, or soon after.

Al

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Al. Yes, my mistake! I did actually know what an inter-nodal cutting was, but used the term wrongly here for some reason, they are as you rightly point out, tip cuttings.Thanks for correcting me ;)

How many should I 'expect' to emerge from the right hand cutting? The two smallest leaves are not from the growing point between the middle sized pair, they sprout from along side it?

I have previously grown my plants as multi stemmed specimens, but now see the greater attraction of the single stemmed ones and have since remodelled several to grow in that style. I'll let keep a close eye on them both and see who sprouts what. I may end up growing one single and one multi stemmed.

Gill UK

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

With all due respect, Al, if Gill leaves the meristem intact, wouldn't the growth proceed as a single stem? I don't question that at some point in time there may develop other side stems. Certainly if the meristem is plucked, this would force potentially multiple stems...yes...no?????

Howard

9 years ago

Lol - at myself. I point to the difference between tip and internodal cuttings, but my mind was still stuck on intermodal thinking. I agree with what you're saying, my bad, and good catch.

Actually, the fact that there is little cytokinin being produced by the yet to develop root system, the plant actually should have all the auxin it needs (from existing and future apices and new leaves) to keep lateral growth in check for a while.

What I said WOULD have been true only if the cuttings were internodal (apical meristems removed).

Humble apologies, Gill.

Al

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Al, you're just too modest and a really good person. I'm in West Bloomfield, MI and have enjoyed reading your wonderful advice. Would love to meet you some day...Thx.

Howard

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Al (and Howard!), no need for an apology here. I think it was me who confused the issue right from the start in calling them wrongly, ha-ha!

I will just let them sit and grow their own thing for the moment.

Thanks to both of you for your input, it's a good job we have folks like you (and also the likes of Josh and Jeff) around to help us lesser mortals out with your much valued knowledge : >)

Gill UK

9 years ago

GC - thanks for the reprieve - and kind words.

Doc - I usually head down that way to a friend's bonsai shop near Mason, and a stop at Telly's in Troy to buy some some of the more unusual things they usually have for my mixed display containers
    {{gwi:3265}}
    {{gwi:3258}}
    in mid-May. Maybe we could grab lunch somewhere - sounds fun.

Al

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

While I go to Telly's in Troy sometimes, they have taken over the plant portion of Goldner Walsh in Pontiac so I go there more often. Let me know when ou might be at the Troy location and we could start there.

What a great feeling to have this kind of conversation... makes visiting GW all worthwhile. Thanks
    Howard

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Couldn't agree more, I can't function without my daily GW fix, especially at this time of the year. Just wish there were a few more like minded folks this side of the pond.
    Al, either of those displays would look great in my own garden :) pics from a couple years ago......not sure if there is actually a C or S in the pic, but hey-ho, does it really matter!!

Gill UK
    {{gwi:2123100}}
    {{gwi:2123101}}

9 years ago

OK - I'll remember to get in touch with you a week or so before I go - looking forward to it. I've been to G. Walsh several times, too. Is it still a top notch shopping spot for succulents & cacti? We can easily start there if it's easier for you. I usually hit Bordines, too.

I agree about GW. I really enjoy spending time here looking for folks whose growing experience could afford a little less separation in the numbers representing their effort:reward ratio. I especially enjoy the enthusiastic people and have forged some friendships I'll always treasure.

Nice pics, Gill! It looks like you're doing a great job - all your material looks happy and your garden is something not only you enjoy. It's amazing how much joy your garden can bring when you offer others a chance to take a peek. Thanks!

I was trying to make you think "fireworks". ;-)
    {{gwi:35620}}.

Take good care ~ Al

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Allium nectaroscordum? If not it looks remarkably like my plants of the same name.
    Thanks for your comments about our garden. I too like to admire other peoples plots, especially those from other countries. I'm just wary of going completely off topic as I have no in ground C&S.

Gill UK

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Al, about a year ago, Tim, the manager of Goldner Walsh had Telly's come in and take over the retail plant business. Telly's made some major repairs to the greenhouse area. Funny we both scope out the same places. I'm hoping Bordines get some new Echeveria in; about two years ago they got some Dick Wright hybrids but nothing special since.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 21:07