Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlightbotanist

Looking for source for white true CC(Schlumbergera bridgesii)

Starlight Botanist
10 years ago

I had been seeing these on ebay over the last month or so, now I can't seem to find any. Plenty of thanksgiving cactus.

I went to visit a grandparent this past week, and we got to talking about plants. She said she had a white one years ago but lost it do frost or fungus about 10 years ago.

I want to surprise her next Christmas with one budded up. Almost all that I saw were cuttings, so i hate to wait until next November or so to get one, and have to root it and it not be ready.

All the big box stores around here only had TC, not CC. I am going tonight to the local garden centers to see if i might find a marked down, out of bloom white CC, but if i can't find one, any alternative source would be awesome.

Thanks everyone!!

Comments (4)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Schlumbergera x buckleyi is the proper nomenclature :-)

"The name Schlumbergera bridgesii, still seen occasionally, was mistakenly published for it very early, and only in 1964 was the plant's proper history and correct designation traced and reestablished by Will Tjaden, a member of the Epiphytic Plant Study Group in England."

I've never seen or heard of a "white" Christmas Cactus, so it's probably a Thanksgiving Cactus that we're in fact describing.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: RECOGNITION and CULTURE of the Holiday Cacti

• Starlight Botanist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Josh!

I was using the clemson page below for my proper name, however Schlumbergera x buckleyi must most certainly be right because it is a hybrid.

TC and CC are often mistake for each other. It seems that true CC were once more common than TC, so due to the age of the plant(would have been 40-50 years old now if it wasn't dead) and her saying CC, i was assuming it was true CC.

But after more and more google searching I can find no white CC, only tons of white TC. This does make the search easier indeed. I can find plenty of sources for these.

Thanks Josh, and I have bookmarked the "RECOGNITION and CULTURE of the HOLIDAY CACTI" page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson Schlum page

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Excellent!
    And if you ever find a true white CC, propagate it and you will make a killing ;-)

Josh

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Hi! So I know what you're talking about off eBay and out of curiosity I got a few cuttings. I did it because there is definitely a lot of S. russeliana in the form, but it's still got more S. truncata than a S x buckleyii. It's stilla TGC. If you notice, the "white buckleyiis" still have the occasional pointed phylloclades and they bloom much earlier-- during TGC time. I looked pretty hard a the pics and figured this out and still went ahead and got some cuttings because I liked the flower (which is more x buckleyi type) and I liked the 50-50 chance of having buckleyii-type phylloclades. The former posters are correct-- there is no actual white x Buckleyii.