Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camellia1_gw

Variegated Jade - Disappointed

camellia1_gw
10 years ago

I was excited to order this jade but after receiving it, it doesn't look the same as the picture. Granted the colors may vary according to their description but I thought it would have stripes like a variegated jade based on their picture; maybe I'm wrong and it will develop as it gets older but looks like a Hummel's Sunset to me. Below is a picture of what I thought it would look like.

Comments (26)

• camellia1_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I received. (Sorry about pic. I downloaded to computer after taking it on my phone and it's still sideways even though it's saved upright on computer.)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Don't know for sure but the first pic does look like a 'Hummel's Sunset' as does yours. I think with time yours will develop some nice color especially if you can get it some good light.

Howard

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Camellia, you're right... you got a 'Hummel's Sunset' instead of the variegated Jade advertised in the pic. The old "bait & switch" as they call it. However, the Sunset Jade you have is a very nice addition to any collection.

Josh

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Its still pretty, I would contack where you got it from

• camellia1_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! And thanks Howard for fixing my pic.

Yeah, I contacted them and asked why my plants didn't have the stripes. I was told that I must have not seen their comment about the "colors may vary." Okaydee then...

Oh, well, it's like eating out when ordering on-line...you take a risk and "you never know what cha gonna git!"

• paul_
    10 years ago

If the seller was listing it as a striped varigated jade I would definitely have issues with them. For that matter, I would not be at all happy with their defining a Hummel as "varigated". Don't believe the seller would receive any positive feedback from me, nor would they get any of my business again.

Pity, the one that they listed was a beauty.

10 years ago

I agree with Paul.

It's not about the colors "varying" - those are distinctly different cultivars.

Josh

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

No problem, Cam. Is this what you had hoped to purchase? Email me and we can talk.

10 years ago

That's a different plant, too, Doc ;-)
    I think she wanted the C. ovata variegata in the picture.

Josh

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I would certainly be upset if i ordered a certain variety and get something else

• camellia1_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Howard, thanks for your offer but I am looking for the variegated one like Josh mentioned.

It wasn't called "variegated" on the site; it was called "tricolor" and the tricolor like Howard's pictured above was called "variegata." I think they got the names switched but I had asked before ordering and was told that it is a "tricolor" and not variegata. They called it "tricolor" due to the colors it turned. I didn't think to ask about it having the stripes/streaks. Oh, well, guess I was too excited over finding it based on the picture that was listed.

• nikki702
    10 years ago

I would be so annoyed if I ordered a plant and received a different one!

I have the plant you are looking for and would happily send you a cutting (it will be small) but I am in the UK and not sure if it would reach you?

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Such a cheap way to make a buck. Goes to show as a buyer you have to be careful.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

If this is what you're after, even a tiny plant should have striped leaves. Found this at WM around Thanksgiving.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Camellia....I am not sure if a piece of this one will make it up to you, but if so let me know...These stay colored all year long and develop reds when in direct sun..These have not seen direct sun for months but the markings are nice..

I hate to hear of stories like this...They kept that plant or stole a pic from someone else, probably a person I know..

Mike

{{gwi:466958}}

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

When you order online, best to ask for a photo of the actual plant you are buying. Often the generic photos they often put on are not representative of the plant they are selling.

And both Bikerdoc's and Purple's are of another plant entirely, Crassula ovata obliqua variegata 'Tricolor', and not Crassula ovata variegata, which is Mike's plant.

Christopher

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Sorry, I thought C. obliqua was a synonym of C. ovata.

• camellia1_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Nikki, thanks for your offer; I'm not sure how shipping would be from UK.

Purple, that's the same plant as Bikerdoc had to offer.

Thanks Mike, I would like to have a cutting of your plant.

Christopher, I thought I had it covered when I sent them an email asking them if the pictures were labeled correctly and even attached the pictures. I just didn't think that I had to ask if the picture was an exact representation of the plant I was getting but I know better now.

And I feel better that some of you think it's a Hummel Sunset that I received, too...I'm not crazy and the color variation has nothing to do with that picture they listed for sale...LOL!

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Beautiful Plants Mike, Biker and Purple. I have so many large normal C Ovata Jades all over my place lol, I wish I had these variagated ones!!

• wweidele
    10 years ago

I know where you bought that I can't remember the site but I ordered the same one and got a hummels also I complained also and the told me the same but it is a beutiful plant anyway

Hey mike I tried contacting you about that jade you just posted would you be kind and share a cutting? If you could thanks

• camellia1_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wweidele - Thanks, for letting me know. That's bad business, especially, when I asked if the plants were named correctly and sent them the pics on the website.

I can understand calling it something else than the true name...but putting a completely different picture than the plant is disappointing. Live and learn.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hi Weidele...Just e-mail me..

I am very forgetful..Anyone I owe any plant has to constantly remind me..I have to admit I feel bad. I know I promised a couple of others and I can't remember unless I am prodded again and again..I plan on sharing a bit of stuff with others this spring..So just e-mail and remind me in spring..

mikerno_1@yahoo.com

Mike

• camellia1_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hanzrobo - OMG, did you take my plant from the nursery? It looks like the exact plant I was suppose to get or was that your picture they stole...LOL! Yeah, I would have done the same; except my heart would have been pounding like crazy...Lucky you finding that plant!

Well, I'm out of puppies at the moment. How about a big puppy that's about 9 years, old. He still has a lot of puppy in him!

• wweidele
    10 years ago

@ mike I emailed you thanks again for being so kind

@Camellia1 try again and fight I hope you get it and I might even call again and put up a fight and try and find out why there doing this g/l
    Keep us posted

• camellia1_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Weidele - I take it that if you bought the same plant and got the same response when you complained, they don't have the plant that is being advertised in the picture.