Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying a succulent.

Posted by ironhat2 Z8/MS (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 10:41

Hy folks,

I have a succculent that came indirectly to me from an elderly aunt. My grandmother raised this plant long years ago on the old home place. I was told that the common name they remember it by was "Man of War".

It is a broad leaf succulent, and will grow tall if not cut back. It makes a purple/lavender bell shape like flower. Leaves can grow very large, and is easy to propagate from the leaves or cuttings in a soil mix.

Any ideas?

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying a succulent.

Are the leaves sort of gray and fuzzy?

o

mrbrownthumb,

The leaf seems to be smooth and a dark green from what I have observed in growing these guys from leave sprouts.

They are pretty plants, I have had them grow tall when left in a pot.

I have searched in vain on line for a picture gallery for succulents that may have these fellas in them. No luck!

Dan

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 23:45

How about posting a picture?

o

hoovb,

I went and dug one out of the cold frame. Our winter has been mild here, with only a few nights in the 20 degree range. These guys are tough characters and weather the cold well. T picture isn;t as good as I could have gotten, but take a look.

http://www.picturepuppy.com/images/ironhat2/manofwar5.jpg

Thanks evey one for the help!

Dan

o

Going to try and post it again!

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.picturepuppy.com/thumbs/ironhat2/manofwar5

o

I have tried attaching site where you could veiw pictures of this plant on the web. GW rejected my URL listings.

I was able to post a picture on the "name that plant" forum under the subject heading of "Succulent ID". A list member replied that it might be Bryophyllum daigremontianum. While I agree with that the stalk and flower of the Bryophyllum daigremontianum looks almost identical, the leaves of this unnamed succulant is flat similar to the leaves of a kalancoe. A google search stated that the Bryophyllum daigremontianum is also known as the mexican top hat plant. I have a few of these plants, and the leaves are totaly different in shape of this unamed succulent.

Any ideas?

Dan

o

It does look like Bryophyllum. Below is a web site with pics to help narrow down the species...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bryophyllum.com

o

rjm710,

Thank you for the site. Some one on the "name this plant" forum suggested it might be a Bryophyllum pinnatum. When I pulled it up after a search on the web, I found a picture of the plant and flowers that looks exactly like the plant I have. But after looking at the site you psoted, the leaves of one of the plants look close also.

If the plant I have is truely a Bryophyllum pinnatum, I had no idea it was used in other countries as herbal medicine. Thanks to all who responded to this inquiry. It has truely been a learning experience.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here