Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

Fockea edulis repot

TT, zone 5b MA
13 years ago

Hi -

I never quite know what to do with this plant in terms of staging, so I did this (sorry about the poor lighting...):

{{gwi:467551}}

Tom

Comments (11)

• Christine
    13 years ago

From someone who never even THOUGHT of staging until reading posts on this forum and seeing the huge difference in overall appearance that good staging creates, I think it's great! It reminds me of the motion of wind blowing across the land causing plants to grow with a lean and the idea that with perserverence one can overcome adversity.

What does the wire do?

Donna

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Tom,

If you're growing it for consumption, it will need a larger pot to grow to mastication size.

Seriously, that's a fine job there. and a nice pot, too.

When it really is growing (in the summer) be wary of its gripping tendrils getting hold of a fence, because that's what they love to do.

Donna,

I'm thinking the wire is holding it in that position, until the plant 'takes' to the pot and the finer roots find purchase in the soil. Either that or Tom's really trying to improve his radio reception.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Donna...that is EXACTLY the look I was trying to obtain (just kidding - but I am very glad it creates that image for you)! Your description is much more creative than my staging ;-).

The wire across the base is holding the plant and the stone in the pot for now. Hopefully, at some point, I can cut the wire after the plant has had a chance to root into the soil a bit.

Tom

• bunnygurl
    13 years ago

That is so nice it made me bite my lip while easting a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

I'm no good at staging things or bonsai, despite me best efforts. Just don't have the vision I suppose.

I really like the plant too. Very neat.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ouch! Hope you are okay, bunny.... You should just try it and don't worry about the 'vision'. You would probably surprise yourself.

BTW, at one point today it was 57 degrees in Sudbury...when it was 54 degrees in Baja California! Nice!

T

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Curious, Jeff - you haven't ever tasted one of these...have you?

Judging by the sticky, milky sap they exude I imagine they might taste a bit like a cross between kaopectate and milk of magnesia?

T

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Tom,

I don't know for sure (no recipes, either), but it's like taro - you have to boil it for hours. I can't remember where in Africa these come from, but perhaps there are some wind-swept ones.

Donna,

You got me to thinking. I wish I could find the exact picture on the Interwebus of the plant's trunk looking like lava poured on the rocks into which is was growing and bent by the wind. It was something like what's in the link (a Pachycormus, like a Fockea a plant raised many times for the roots, i.e. a pachycaul plant / caudiciform) minus the doggy.

And the picture's thanks to Mr. Adenium himself, Mark Dimmitt.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:467549}}

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

According to Desert Tropicals:

Origin: Namibia, South Africa (North Cape, Western Cape)

• bunnygurl
    13 years ago

Heh. Thanks Tom...though it was actually my tongue that I bit...and I wasn't easting...I was eating. Bloody typos.

Funny thing is I tried to shape a couple things, a Podocarpus into a windswept look and a Ficus benjamina into an informal upright...but they didn't make it...perhaps it was the lack of water that did them in though. >_>

Oh, and yes I made it through the agony.

• caudex1
    13 years ago

Nice Tom! You have a photo of before? What size pot is that?

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Caudex -

The pot it is in is approximately 13x9 oval...the only other pic I have of the plant is from January 2008, when it looked like this:

{{gwi:467553}}

I found it, surprisingly, at a local nursery. At that time, it was totally upright and the caudex was mostly buried, its vines growing into a trellis.

T