Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanzjade

Thanksgiving Cactus... Questions on new buds & pest

nanzjade z5 MA
9 years ago

I bought two small 3.5" pots of Thanksgiving Cacti back in early December. They have been growing in size and produced new leaf segments. I had read it was okay to fertilize after new growth, so I gave it a weak 20-20-20 fertilizer....at probably 1/4 strength. I assumed they had already bloomed, so much to my surprise they are budding now :)

Is it normal that the buds take about 3 to 4 weeks to get to this size? (will post another pic) It seems really slow progress. They get southeast light with a lace curtain. I try to keep the medium moist if I notice it's starting to get dry on top. They've been at the same window since I bought them.

There are pests eating them, I think scale and/or something else, but do you recognize the cuts and distortion it makes in the segments?
I normally use neem oil, dash of soap & water mixture to spray, but don't want to ruin the buds.

Any tips on the buds & thoughts on the pests?

Thank you!
Nancy

Comments (15)

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A pic of distorted & half gone segments :(

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

with buds

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the 2nd plant (a little larger)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yes, the buds develop slowly...and I think maybe you have a slug in the pot.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another closeup. This shows a weird long, narrow segment on lower left side too.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Yes, the buds to take a while to come into flower. Personally I think it's OK. The cuts and half leaves can be from mechanical damage i.e. rough handling at source. As for the distorted leaves, I shouldn't worry, some of my leaves are not identical. So now you need to carefully inspect each surface of each leaf for pests /clear sticky substances (poo)/ black mould (sooty mould which grows on pest poo) and check the soil. Slugs/snails would leave a tell tale slime trail of course.These type of jungle cacti are generally not pest magnets. However, that's not saying there may have been a pest at some point.

Gill UK

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Gill

Hrmm....maybe I can blame the slits on a cat stepping on it, seems to match the rim of the pot. I think there are critters still... weird round edges and some tiny dots. For now, I'll use a q-tip with alcohol on suspicious areas.

I will try to be more patient with the flower buds. I don't know if it'll be pink or red flowers. So happy that I may not have to wait until next year to find out.... sure would brighten the winter.

Nancy

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

You could cover the soil and pot with cling film, hold it firmly around the stems between two fingers and spread your hand over the covered soil, tip sideways and wash the 'leaves under a stream of tepid water. It won't harm the plant and could flush off any pests, it may help.

Gill UK

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dbarron...my apologies, I didn't see your comment until now... I've been scrolling past my pics for new comments. Thanks for the idea of a slug, but I didn't see any.

Here's an update from today... buds a little bit bigger :)

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gill, thanks for the great idea.... I did tilt the plant upside down and rinse under water in the sink. Then I took it to a bright room so I could see it better for closer inspection. There were some little white dots, and a few brown spots... the largest are in this photo. I think it's scale. (toward the center of the photo, and a little right)
    I took a cotton ball & tooth pick to scrape them off (next time maybe a sewing needle) with diluted alcohol & drop of soap. I'm sure more are there though...
    I may just have to use neem... perhaps during the snowstorm I will spray down my 70 other plants and use a mini spray bottle for this TC in order to avoid the buds.
    Other good news are nice white roots that look happy.... it could use more medium, but until it flowers didn't want to mess with that too.

Thanks again,
    Nancy

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Don't use a sewing needle to scrape anything off, it is too sharp.
    If scale, spraying or wiping with a q-tip is enough; scale usually have hard 'shell' and neem or alcohol solution will dissolve it. You will be able to just wipe off dead scale with cotton ball or tissue. It usually gets off easily if using the q-tip. (You will probably see little red blood to...) Scraping with the fingernail is usually done to see if it actually is a pest (sometimes there could be spots on the leaves that are not caused by pests).
    The 2 brown spots you are referring to (I circled them in your photo) looks like scale, but photo is not clear enough for me to be 100% sure.

Gill gave you good advice how to check for pests. Rinsing plant in the water would help a lot, even with mild infestation. If you had serious spider mite or mealy bug infestation, you would be able to see lots of "white stuff", like webs. That is not visible in your photos.
    Rina

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today, I carefully sprayed the neem, water, soap mix onto all my holiday cacti....but avoided the buds on these two.

Rina, I didn't see any spider mite or mealybug evidence. However on one of my huge TC plant there was a fungus nat (or an aphid) that looked dead from the spray. I'm not sure what their damage would look like... or if their eggs on a leaf are very tiny white dots...smaller than a pin head? Whatever they are hope the neem knocks them down. I'm sure I'll have to repeat again.

I will try the Q-tip method next time :)

I'll keep checking them... will report back if any discoveries

Thanks everyone,
    Nancy

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update... this week a bloom!

I'm so happy to see a bloom in cold, snowy February.

I still find tiny white dots (eggs) the size of a pin head, I just sprayed the neem & soap on them 5 days ago, and I was finding a ton of eggs yesterday & today. I didn't show damage here on these pics. I was using Scotch tape to remove them tonight... better than nothing. It's not just on this TC, but a lot of my other plants.... I've been spraying about 70+ plants, and I am so tired of pests.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

I've had scale and mealy outbreaks that have lasted the entire season on my cacti and orchids....until I began using permethrin as a spray. Have had total annihilation of pests since then. Still have to be diligent, but, it's been my headache free tool.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Aztcqn for the suggestion, unfortunately while looking up permethrin online, read it's highly toxic to cats..... so not going to risk it.

I am wondering if the pest are thirps.