Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

Greenovia, anyone?

chaparralgirl
12 years ago

I did a search last night on NWC to see what would come up, since I'm not really that familiar with the term itself and exactly what it means (as opposed to "old" world?). Among the hits I found a "Greenovia dodrentalis," as seen here:

{{gwi:467952}}

Here's another species, an Aeonium aureum (â¡ Greenovia. aurea) according to Wikipedia:

{{gwi:467953}}

At first, I thought maybe the name was meant as a joke. "Greenovia?" Really? But it would seem that it is (or, rather, was) legit. According to Wikipedia, it was recently lumped in with the genus Aeonium. (I haven't seen the flowers for this Greenovia, but the rosettes sure remind me of Aeoniums.) Beyond this, there seems to be fairly little information available on these little lovelies - at least, that I've been able to find.

So, I'm wondering, had anyone here ever had any encounters or experience with "Greenovia"?

*CG*

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia stub on Greenovia (in Spanish)

Comments (8)

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Denise: The info I found indicates it's indigenous to the Canary Islands, and something about Ethiopia. So it probably wouldn't be happy in PA, no. ;) I'm not sure it'd be happy where I live, either - I'd probably have to do the inside-outside-inside plant pot dance. But I'd love to give it a go. Not sure where to get one, tho.

*CG*

btw, is that 2nd image not showing up for you? It worked just fine when I previewed the original post. Now I'm getting a broken link.

• bahia
    12 years ago

I've been growing the two species of Greenovia that Annie's Annuals Nursery offers for about the last 5 years now. They are very similar in habit and preferences to Aeoniums, and I like them both as container plants and in the garden. Annie's offers G. aurea and G. diplocycla. They have a tendency to be monocarpic after blooming, so you'll have to save seed or start with new plants if they don't pup for you. They're available mail order from Annie's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenovia diplocycla at Annie's Annuals

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bahia: Outstanding! Thank you so much! I'm heading on over to the site right now! :)
    *CG*

• bahia
    12 years ago

I might add that they are just as sensitive to too much heat as some Aeoniums, so probably aren't the easiest plant to grow in a desert climate. Typically they take about 2 to 3 years to reach blooming size from a seedling, in my experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenovia aurea

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

I always drool over those photos of that plant. So gorgeous.

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

In the world of succulents, NWC means New World Crassulaceae (from the Americas), as opposed to Old World Crassulaceae (Africa, Madagascar, Canary Islands, etc.).

Brad

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Now that is a stunning picture! But the other photos don't look anything like it. The plants in the other photos look like big, mostly flat, rosettes mostly. See, that's what confuses a newbie. One site did say that it curls up into a "cool looking" ball when in drought. So, is this plant in drought? Regardless, if I saw it at a nursery, I'd buy it!

I think buying succulents is a little like buying a puppy. What you buy isn't anything like what you get a few months down the road!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus