Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
automatthew

Cost of Large Jade Tree on East Coast

automatthew
9 years ago

Hi! So I am moving from San Francisco to NYC, and will likely have to leave behind numerous very large succulents when I go just because of shipping cost and space issue. In particular I have several very large jade trees, about four feet tall and three feet wide. I am considering having at least one of these shipped with me, but am trying to figure out if the cost is worth it. I figure it will cost at least a few hundred dollars to ship. If I can just buy a similar plant on the east coast in a nursery that would obviously be more convenient, depending on the price. Of course my old large trees have sentimental value as well.

I've never bought a plant so large in a nursery, just inherited or grown them. How much does such a thing go for? A nice healthy jade tree in a pot, about 4 feet high and three feet wide.

Comments (17)

• ehuns27 7a PA
    9 years ago

Sorry if this comes up twice, had issues posting it the first time...
    I live in PA and I often go to NYC. It really depends on where you go but ay place selling large jade trees that I have seen around are quite pricey. Not only will something like that be very hard to find in and around NYC it will be pretty expensive, and in my personal opinion, overpriced.
    Try to keep yours if you can! I know how sentimental plants can be, especially if you have had them for a while.

-EHuns

• automatthew
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, availability is an issue as well. I'm sure I'll regret it if I don't spend the money and ship them.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Could we see a photo of at least one of your trees?
    Maybe some would have better idea as of approx. price of it.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Yes, Rina has a great thought. Maybe several pictures of many and this may generate some ideas.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Why not move them with your furniture, etc...just well wrapped? Seems like money is not really an issue with you, why not spend what it takes to bring your plants?

Christopher

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Another possibility might be to prune severely -- what this forum calls "whacking" -- the result would be a shorter plant and a much smaller canopy (say no wider at the top than the pot it's in). It would be small enough to fit in the back seat of your car, if you're driving to the East Coast. (And if you're not planning to drive, maybe you should change your plans?)

The experts here can advise you about how much of the jade to whack. Obviously you would lose time and size ... but you'd have the large size again in just a few years: much sooner than if you had to buy what's easily available on the East Coast. Also, they'd still have the massive trunk and thick main branches; the canopy is easily replaced, but not so the trunk and main branches. [Search this forum for whack jade and you'll see some interesting before-and-afters.]

After whacking, you would also have several large branches which would be small enough to take along or ship; in just a few years, they would be well on the way to reaching the size of the parent plant.

===
    [Condolences about leaving San Fran for New York. We did that 50 years ago (actually it was Menlo Park and SW Connecticut), and still haven't recovered.]

• nanzjade z5 MA
    9 years ago

I've never seen a 4x3ft jade in a garden nurseries in MA.
    The largest I recall was aprox 15"w x 20"h starting at soil level. Was roughly $150. Bugs are common unfortunately. (Starting to believe the plant industry wants people to buy a new one if it fails or buy products to kill the pests)

I would ship it.... perhaps trim some leaves or smaller branches to make it lighter? Ship a trunk?

Would love to see pics too.

Goodluck with the move..hope you can bring them.

Nancy

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

The issue with shipping with personal belonging is most, if not all, moving companies will not haul live plants because of the possibility they might die and they will not accept the risk.

Whacking and shipping bare root might work... then again with cold weather this has some issues.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Stick it in a moving box well packed...I don't see the problem.

Christopher

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Size you are looking for isn't commonly found at most garden centers in my area either, yet the last time I saw one at the size you mentioned the prices where in the $300.00 - $400.00. range

One thing you might want to avoid is shiping to N.Y. this time of the year. Like most N.Y. winters it's a typical NY winter ( My opinion it's a bit to cold to ship a jade that size )... I would suggest when yodo ship to your new addie send it out later in the year early- mid spring time.

• jalcon
    9 years ago

If you want to take a detour through the Philly area, I just found one on craigslist that is 3'x3'...100 bucks

http://delaware.craigslist.org/for/4829686249.html

• paul_
    9 years ago

My first thought was the same as MtH -- give it a heavy pruning and either take it in your car or combine with Christopher's idea to pack it up in a box (before the movers arrive). You will need to make sure the box is very sturdy and do a very good packing job to minimize movement.

• PRO
    Alvin
    8 years ago

I saw a very large jade much the same size and type as well. They were having half off sale, so it was 250 originally sale was 150. Don't work unless you don't want to separate from an old friend, you can get one here. I world go to plant district for best deals. Good luck al

• lagrozze
    3 years ago

I happen to have such a large Jade Tree and interested in ideas on where / how to sell it.

any ideas welcome. thx (4 ft top to soil and ~ a foot dual trunk)

• KarenS, NYC
    3 years ago

Hi lagrozze,

Don't know where in the country you're speaking from, but you might try looking up your nearest Cactus & Succulent Society & see if they know of anyone who might be interested in your large Jade.

• HU-272177910
    3 years ago

@lagrozze- interested in purchasing. Please send photo to claudeedward3@gmail.com with price