Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Exposing jade roots - for presentation?

I have a potted jade plant (standard crassula ovata) that had small surface roots growing over some of the larger roots. I discovered this as I was poking around the soil and examining the health of the jade's trunk. One of these small roots had even impressed (and begun to scar) the base of the trunk. So, I trimmed a few of these small roots away.

Now, the trunk's base is somewhat revealed - as I want the damaged root ends/connective tissue to heal over before I give the plant its next watering. Also, now that I have visual access to the top-side of the jade's roots, I like what I see. So my question is this: Can I leave these roots exposed, or is there harm in exposing a jade's uppermost roots?

(I know the plant likes to dry out between waterings, but could this cause too much drying out?).

I'm gradually steering this jade in a bonsai direction, or at least presentation, but I don't want to lose it due to naivete.

Thanks,

Josh

Comments (31)

• TT, zone 5b MA
    16 years ago

Josh -

I would say that as long as the feeder part of the roots are down in the soil, should be no problem exposing the top part of the roots at the base (if I am following your description correctly). In fact, as you note, with bonsai that is very desirable.

Perhaps post a pic to be sure.

Tom

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Tom, yes you're following correctly.
    I'll post a pic (maybe a few) for sure!

I re-potted this jade in November, and the deeper roots have become quite fixed in the new soil medium. I know the roots are working, as the whole plant perked right up (over-night, that is) when I finally gave it water last week.

Josh

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

I don't recall ever seeing it, I don't think it's good for a Jade. Have no evidence, just a feeling. I know various Ficus look good & can do well this way, & certain fat caudex plants.

Perhaps Norma (who's masterful w/ Jades) will see this & comment.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    16 years ago

Josh -

I didn't think you were proposing a style with aerial roots (like a Ficus or Schefflera - as pirate-girl is implying, I think) but simply exposing more of the root flare at the base. The nebari, in bonsai terms... Correct? I have seen many jade bonsai with this type of development.

I agree that aerial roots for jade wouldn't work out, both aesthetically and culturally I think.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, thanks Pirate Girl and thanks Tom!
    No, no aerial roots, that's for sure! Indeed, I just want to expose the root flair (nebari)[now I have the term I was lacking!].

If you'll be so kind as to check back on this Thread over the next few days, I'll have some images to better explain.

Josh

Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm back with a fuzzy image...I hope it'll do.
    (I can't figure out close-up shots - time to read the manual).
    {{gwi:470118}}

Also, you can see how much root I'm exposing. Pretty minimal, I think. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Now I suppose I'll have to clean away the mineral deposits (must be calcium) from the trunk. Any suggestions? I've been using a soft toothbrush for plant-scrubbing, but I'm always curious about other methods....

Thanks,

Josh

• TT, zone 5b MA
    16 years ago

Josh -

Nebari looks excellent! That is exactly what I was thinking.

Tom

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Tom, just enough to lift her skirts and show off her toes! Ha! I'll figure out how to get a good clear image of the roots, and I'll update.

Josh

• puglvr1
    16 years ago

Hi Josh,

I am very new to bonsai, I'm also trying out some jades in the very early stages. But I just wanted to say that looks really good. Great Job!!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, puglvr!
    I appreciate your words of encouragement!
    And again, I apologize for the poor quality of the image. I think I've *almost* figured out the close-up shot....

Another issue I've been considering is the pebble-mulch:
    these darker stones are probably fine for the winter, but I think I'll switch to a lighter colored stone for the summer months (when my plants will be outdoors).

Anyone else change their soil-dressing for the season?

Josh

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

Is this just for you own enjoyment? That would be okay, and might not harm the plant, I have never seen roots exposed in this way for Crassula ovata even in Bonsai shows. I wonder why? I Agree with you Karen, for a Jade I think it looks silly, but if it pleases him why not, if you are not showing the plant. I'm not the last word in this at all, I am not an expert, I just know how to grow Crassula, and have had a few years of experience how these plants grow. Norma

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Norma, thanks for stopping by!
    Yes, this is merely for my enjoyment (no bonsai exhibitions in my future).
    Jades have always reminded me of elephant legs, and I find the "feet" to be
    especially interesting. I hope that passes for a rationale.

But, I suppose I wouldn't want my plant to look *silly*...

So do you think I ought to cover the base of the plant back up?

I'm glad to know that I haven't harmed the plant with my untutored sense of aesthetics!

Josh

• TT, zone 5b MA
    16 years ago

Amen, Randy.

I did a search last night for jade bonsai to find some examples (unfortunately, my jade has 'crappy' roots, too). I did find some examples (some were yours, Randy) with some nice base development. Different standards may apply to potted plants, I guess. I wasn't sure about copyright infringement and all that, so I did not post any of the pics I found.

I agree. Rock on, dude.

Original Author
    16 years ago

I appreciate it, fellas!
    When I have better images, I'll update.

The trunk is one of the most endearing
    aspects of the jade plant, in my opinion,
    and I like to see as much as possible...
    as long as it's attractive (though that
    doesn't seem to be the norm).

My only concern is that exposed roots
    might make the plant more vulnerable during
    the summer. I'll watch the plant closely
    this spring, and if it's getting too hot, I'll
    add soil and/or a top layer of light stones.

Thanks again!

Josh

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Just to clarify, it wasn't me who said 'silly', I don't assess plants like that.

I wasn't speaking from aesthetics, more concern for the health of the trunk, wondering if it might not expose its base to bugs or drying out or just leave it w/ a sort of large, exposed area of vulnerability, which it wouldn't ordinarily have. Again, no facts or evidence here, just a hunch, gut feeling.

Well Josh, I say grow it however you like, I too wouldn't pay mind to aethetic views of others.

I grow things a bit wacky from time to time myself. I once grew some Hoya curtisii on bark, secured w/ sewing thread. Looked gorgeous, grew really well, I just tired of having to take it down every day or 2 to take to the sink & water; never considered abt it dripping all over the floor.

Even w/out a rationale, sometimes experimenting is just fun! If one is observant one can usually learn a lot in the process.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, Pirate Girl!
    I'll keep you updated. I share the same concerns about the exposed roots.

Josh

• rjj1
    16 years ago

I'm struggling to understand why exposing roots is a bad thing or if there's any evidence of it being a bad thing. It's been done since the beginning of time in nature with trees and shrubs in the ground. It's been done for at least a thousand years in containers in China and Japan.

This cutting grown succulent is nothing but roots. If you look closely you can see the original soil line about an inch below the lowest branch. Right where the root on the left joins the rest of the plant

clickable thumb
    {{gwi:470114}}

randy

• rjj1
    16 years ago

Typo error, it should be right where the root on the RIGHT joins the rest of the plant.

Original Author
    16 years ago

That is an awesome plant!
    Such a human shape to those roots.

Josh

• TT, zone 5b MA
    16 years ago

Randy -

Excellent Adenium - is it Obesum? I love the way their caudex/roots just keep expanding - leave them in a pot long enough and they will burst out on their own!

BTW, who's the furry thing in the background?

• rjj1
    16 years ago

Thanks Josh. An Aussie friend on another forum calls it "Dead Cow". Has a nice ring to it doesn't it? :-)

Tom,

For the moment it's obesum, but will probably change soon. There is about to be a big shakeup in the Adenium world as far as classification. Guess there is a certain popularity level a species reaches and then those smarter than the rest of us need to right the ship.

I've had Adeniums break clay pots.

The rear end in the photo belongs to one of our American Eskimo dogs.

• radovan
    16 years ago

Randy, a very beautiful Adenium and please could you let me know how old it is, if you know.
    Thank you very much,
    Radovan

• rjj1
    16 years ago

Radovan,

Really don't know. I've only had the plant two summers. I acquired it from the collection of Bob Jackson, owner of The Fat Plants Farm, after he passed away.

It could be as young as 6 or 7 years old if he imported it from a tropical Asian grower or as much as 15 years or so if grown himself.

• radovan
    16 years ago

rjj1 Norman, thank you very much.I really love those plants.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I finally figured the camera out.
    Here are a couple better images of the nebari in progress.
    Click for full-size - I left 'em as big as I could.

{{gwi:470115}}
    {{gwi:470116}}

Josh

• gardenpassion
    15 years ago

Josh,

I have something totally different to ask you about. I read another comment you made on another post that you had rooted a leaf from a Pachira (money tree). Could you please share with me how you rooted that leaf?

I have not clue about Bonsai's only wish good luck to anyone trying it!

Randy, I ran up on your comments on a post also about the money tree and you and Lucy were swapping words. All I have to say for her is......get a grip and get a life. I don't know if you read the last post that was made there by someone totally different but it was pretty cool. That fancy word Adenium, is that "Desert Rose"? What a specimen whatever it is.

Darlene

Original Author
    15 years ago

First, a minor update on my main jade and its roots...since this Thread found its way back to the top of the page...

Hey, Darlene!
    Yes, I did root my Pachira from a single leaf, which had been rudely broken from my brother's tree (his tree still lives, but in a sickly shadow of its former glory).

I think I received the leaf sometime in early spring, maybe even as early as February (I can't verify, since I wasn't taking notes then, as I do now). Anyhow, the leaf-stem was simply stuck into some potting soil, in the bottom of a tan-grey plastic cup (about the size of a can of tuna), which stayed in a sunny window. The potting soil was kept wet at all times, as there were no holes in the cup for drainage. I had no idea if it would work. My brother just handed it to me, and said "Take it."

Eventually, the leaf grew a new tip, and that was when I put it into a pot.

If you want to grow a plant from a leaf, you have to snap off a healthy leaf, all the way back to the trunk. Then you need to keep the soil moist so that the leaf won't dessicate. It might be a good idea to keep the tender leaf out of intense sunlight and away from heating/air conditioning vents for the first week or so. Then you can move it, gradually, into the light of a sunny window.

If you have leaves to spare, you might want to try several at a time (to guarantee success). I'd use small styrofoam cups, filled with 50% perlite, 40% potting soil, and small gravel (for weight) and charcoal the remainder of the way.

Good luck!

Josh

• jaybizzle
    13 years ago

I've just gotta say, I absolutely adore seeing some roots above soil on plants similair to the one here - even the jades though it's not as common to see. I think they're not typically selected for bonsai-ing because of the large and heavy leaf quality, but the trunk can get big and beautiful, and more roots will develop underground if you bring a small amount of the old roots above ground.

Root pruning is key in bonsai anyway, and these tough succulents will pull through quite a bit of stress. Well I'm getting off-topic, but fairly close to the average jade is the portulacaria afra, or 'elephants ear' succulent, and I and many others find it great for the bonsai field - including root exposure.

Carry on fellow succulent fiends, I admire you all.
    -Jay

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jay!
    I've gotten into Port. afra's, too.
    The smaller leaves are easier to bring into proportion.

Josh

• jaybizzle
    13 years ago

Oh yes, I love my port. afra's, they just might be my favourite plant....

I should also mention as a side-note; root exposure doesn't need to be limited to bonsai. I mean jades can get quite large, and a bit of exposed roots might only help stabalize it? if anything - as they'll get thicker along with the trunk.

Just a thought. I say go for it and post pictures so I can enjoy it as well. ;)
    -Jay