Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown scale on euphorbia

Posted by ken_ny Z10FL (kenr64@comcast.net) on
Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 12:41

Iv'e been having a recurring problem with hard scale on an upright euphorbia and have been unable to control it with repeated trentments of sevin or soap. Is there a systemic insecticide that is good for controlling scale and safe for succulents?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown scale on euphorbia

Imidicloprid, avoid products that also include fertilizers. Dilute concentrate (1.47%) 1 ounce (2 TBS) per gallon or 115 ppm.

o

I've had no luck getting rid of scale on Euphorbias...luckily I only had to deal with it once, on a plant of E. spinea.

Brad, is this from personal experience?

Because I found imidacloprid to be completely useless with scale. Nor were mechanical removal, horticultural soap, repeated alcohol sprayings and dips helpful. After trying to treat it for two years, I gave up and trashed the plant.

Luckily over a few years I've only had to deal with it once.

-R

o

-R
Yes, I've had some success with imidicloprid, although the scales often remain on the plant. I'm pretty sure they are dead, the infestation stops spreading. They can be scrubbed off, but the damage to the plant makes that approach less attractive.

Scale is rare here too. I've had it on Cacti, Echeveria stems, Euphorbia, and my lemon trees. Mealies are my bane. Imidicloprid completely eliminates them.

Brad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here