Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaktuskris

Delightful Diminutive Denethor

kaktuskris
9 years ago

This little guy has put out some new leaves which I love the look of. Nice striation and irregular leaf shape...Love this one.

Christopher

Comments (145)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

By what I've gleaned from Erica and others, Denethor comes true from leaf. I wonder is that unusual? Two Hobbit leaves I started are like ordinary jade babies.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    8 years ago

My 'Denethor,' too, sheds lower leaves as the top growth emerges. The foliage tends to concentrate at the tips of branches, which can cause the overall plant to look a bit bare...but I still think the structure is interesting.

Josh

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Marguerite,

how big are the baby hobbit leaf jades? Can you post a picture in another thread or something? I never know what you guys want from me.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Marguerite, your baby Denethor has all the characteristics in the leaves, though tiny. Here is my slightly larger baby.

My Gollums grown from leaves look like Gollums, with no reversion. I have a Crassula ovata variegata I grew from a leaf, and it has no variegation but has the parent's other characteristics though. Here it is.

Christopher

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Monstrose typically carries over to the cuttings that are monstrose but variegation works differently depending on the layer the spawning cells come from.

that's why I asked how big they were....I think they just aren't bbig enough to notice it yet.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

" I never know what you guys want from me." ?? Sorry, laticauda, have I missed something? The babies from the Hobbit leaves are a few weeks old. I'll have to track them down, they may be gone to the tunnel, to reappear next March or so. I'll try and find out shortly.

Thanks again, Nancy and Erica.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Thanks for the pictures, Christopher. Your little leaflet Denethor is lovely, how long do you think mine will take to get to that size. Also, your plant from the variegated Crassula ovata is beautifully shiny.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Marguerite...

My baby Denethor is from a tiny cutting I took last year I think it was, so slow to grow.

Yes, I did notice the variegata from the leaf is extremely shiny, also look like some slight green variegation, will have to pot this up separately and start to take care of it. With most of my starts from leaves, I usually put it in a pot with another plant and forget about it.

Christopher

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

laticauda, I haven't found out about the Hobbit plantlets yet, but hope to get a pic later for you. Growing from leaves is one of the most fascinating pursuits connected with growing jades, I think. You really never know what you're going to get, do you find that? Which is why, when I thought about it, it was strange that Denethor seems to come true, almost like a true species.

Christopher, also have not the leaves on your green plant from your variegated jade leaf an unusual seam down the middle?

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    8 years ago

Christopher

am I wrong in my thinking that all these plants came from the same leaf.

Richard

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Marguerite,

I have found that I love propagating from leaves but I always end up drowing them after roots form...a few times I've gotten the jade plantlets to grow, but....then drowned them.

That was almost ten years ago though and I've learned a lot and CHANGED a lot of things since then.

This forum has been a great source actually in helping to cease my fears of letting them dry too much! Thank you, "Tiny Little Hylocereus Rotten Root Stock" for teaching me that they can actually go bone dry even though their new roots are so delicate.

I hope your Hobbit leaves prodice true. It's a very mild form of the monstrose habit and I've noticed new leaves appear "normal" at first and don't get the little "tongue" until they are about a quarter of the way between newly emerging and fully grown. So I'm eager to see if this holds true for your leaf plantlets! But mother nature may tell us we have to wait lol.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Well, I took pictures, laticauda, but still am trying to post. I hope you are right and the leaves will change as they get older.

8 years ago

Marguerite, I can't post via the "photo" option anymore, either. Now, I have to click on "Houzz Photo," and then drag and drop photos into the box that appears.

I've never gotten a 'Hobbit' leaf to grow a 'Hobbit' plantlet. 'Gollum,' no problem.

Josh

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Oh, well...there you have it from the.....greenman's mouth. [1]

still want to see the pictures. So I guess pinching the last few leaves and some stem is your only way to get it to happen.

Do you need some so you don't have to cut your own plants?

[1] or would josh prefer I say "from the Josh's mouth" or does that seem a little pretentious?

8 years ago

Well, the Greenman was wrong :-)

It turns out I do have some 'Hobbit' plantlets from leaf that are looking more and more like 'Hobbit' as they grow. I should have paid better attention.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I need to find a really good exclamation to make that would be appropriate for this venue.

but I'm really glad that the monstrose carries like other, more extreme, monstrose mutations.

Okay, how about this:

LOOK AT THE BABIES!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Oh, I thought that was an exciting link, laticauda :) but it's not a link.

Josh, where do you drag the photos from before you drop them? I am really stupid about these things.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

It's not stupid. Why?! Why stupid?! No.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Thank you indeed, laticauda. Perhaps 'challenged' would be a better word, then. I have improved over the years, but I was well more than grown-up when computers appeared. Goodness, I was thirteen before we had TV ! And when I think of my age now, the words 'vintage' and 'antique' spring to mind :)

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Lol, I think you do a pretty good job and the "helpless maiden" is a fallacy. We can!

oh, I was refering to Josh's babies. They all say he's a good daddy, see?

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Laticauda, you are a bit over the top sometimes, honestly. I don't know about others, but maybe I need a translator. :)

Richard, I do not know which plants you are talking about...Denethor or the Crassula ovata variegata?

Marguerite, I repotted the C. ovata variegata from the leaf, here it is. I am going to see how it develops. I like the look of it so far.

Christopher

Christopher

8 years ago

Christopher

I was referring to the Denether, are they all from the same original leaf or different

plants grown from different mutated leaves.

Richard

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

I have a feeling Richard is talking about Denethor, because of the plural, 'plants', Christopher. I understand what laticauda is saying - women can do anything. If that's over the top, I concede that men are also good at some things. Nephews too :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Marguerite, I really don't always get the gibberish either...so I agree with Christopher. Or maybe I am also from other planet as Howard said before.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Richard, I believe Denethor started from a branch that was different from the main plant, not a single leaf.

Marguerite, I most readily concede the superiority of the female gender, that is not the issue. It is lines like you mentioned, "I never know what you guys want from me" that leave me flummoxed.

Christopher

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I've explained it to Marguerite...and I think it's proven itself in this very thread. Thanks!

• laticauda
    8 years ago

It's not my fault that people don't crawl out of their holes long enough to pay attention to current events and traditional American War slogans (Rina is excused from that part being that she's Canadian, how can she know what "We can!" means?) I like that much better than the "Lean in" slogan that's in use now, that's instructing women to ignore their boundaries and their self respect.

no...I much prefer "We can!"

I don't mention how completely socially inept and crazy stalker some people on the forums are. I even go the extra mile to try to include and befriend these people who in the real world would not be so accepted. These were the LEAST likely people I expected this from but I guess even the bottom of the totem pole wants to step on someone else every once in a while.

So why is it that I'm being targeted because someone else can't get outside of their head long enough to realize that their view of the world is NOT the be all to end all....but I digress.....

May God forgive me for my complaints and transgressions. And may He make it easier for me to ignore such silly and childish behavior in the future.

What, is this kindergarten?

I always associated Rina's not making sense with maybe English isn't her first language and Christopher's shortcomings with the fact he's had his heart broken.

I won't apologize for making excuses for both of your behaviors when it is apparently a much better idea to call people out and belittle them on a public forum, such as the example you have provided me.

I will continue to set my example, which includes making excuses for your behaviors, and you shall continue to set yours.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, but you don't make sense.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

How sad for you.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

laticauda

Seems to me that you have mistaken this forum for something like a twitter, FB or other types of forums.

This forum is about succulents. We are not here to "crawl out ...to pay attention to current events"...anyone interested in that will find another place - there are forums for that.

..."It's
    not my fault that people don't crawl out of their holes long enough to
    pay attention to current events and traditional American War slogans
    (Rina is excused from that part being that she's Canadian, how can she
    know what "We can!" means?) I like that much better than the "Lean in"
    slogan that's in use now, that's instructing women to ignore their
    boundaries and their self respect"...

..."So why is it that I'm being targeted because someone else can't get
    outside of their head long enough to realize that their view of the
    world is NOT the be all to end all....but I digress....."

We are here to discuss growing of succulents, ask questions about them and offer help.

95% of what you post (and what I referred to as 'gibberish') has absolutely nothing to do with plants. Maybe you should think about it and reverse it. Many members here would enjoy reading your posts if they were relevant to why we are here.

While I may not be making sense:

("I always associated Rina's not making sense with maybe English isn't her first language"...)

at least I am sticking to the subject. Maybe you should consider doing the same, without trying to put down other members.

Christopher

Sorry that your thread got so derailed. You posted about the 'elusive Denethor' and many are eager to see photos of this plant and it's progress. Please, continue to do so.

Rina

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Rina. Yes, back to the topic at hand...Here is a photo I just took of the new folded leaf growing on my larger plant. Either two fused leaves, or one folded leaf, not sure.

Christopher

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    8 years ago

As a long time lurker, I've been really enjoying reading about and seeing photos of unusual jade cultivars. Rina, your posts have always made sense to me.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Christopher

Hard to tell which, but great new growth. And the color with that red edge to it. I always wanted to ask you how do you keep them (the leaves on your plants) so clean and shiny. Maybe it is 'cause they are mostly indoors?

dog ... (still don't want to address you as such!!!:)

Thank you.

Rina

8 years ago

'Denethor' originated from a leaf-propagation of regular Crassula ovata, discovered by Glen Lord.

Josh

8 years ago

Josh

Thank you

Richard

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I'm also not the one who brought this up in this thread, it was the OP. So I engaged the OP in a discussion he wished to have on his thread. Is that against the rules? Someone should write those down because it is a little ridiculous to expect people to follow a code of conduct that is arbitrary and made-up and proves counterproductive to the community atmosphere.

I didn't realize that when on the internet, everything else ceases to exist.

I'm pretty sure no matter how hard you guys try to believe that....it's not true.

Christopher, http://www.johnkeats.org

what is the meaning of that website?

I hope that poor woman is still alive and has a restraining order on you.

I will unsubscribe from this thread, which is unfortunate, but I'm commanded that when people insist on fighting against me, I must walk away.

Josh, Marguerite, Richard (and anyone else I forgot), see you in email.

May you all be rewarded for your deeds committed in this life, in the next.

sometimes you just have to give the bullies what they want, you know? Their lives are so sad and pathetic, I guess even they deserve a "win" every once in a while, though it should never have to be at the expense of another. But not everyone can be a good person.

Maybe we should start following the rules of humanity: respect, dignity, honesty and discretion? Those don't need to be written down, they are the default.

Ma salama.

8 years ago

For all of you growing jades from stem cuttings, do you use rooting hormone? How about when growing them from just the leaves?

Rina, I like dogs, so just think of it as a compliment :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

ok, dog...I like dogs too and remember your reason you gave for your nick.

To answer your question about jade cuttings, I grew many and never used rooting hormone. Same with growing them from leaves. But I don't have 'fancy' jades, like Denethor either, so can't comment on that. Others may have different experience.

Rina

8 years ago

Thanks, Rina. Oh, and you can call me Wendy, if you'd rather :)

8 years ago

HI WENDY

I Agree with Rina 100 percent.

its just not necessary, and I don't have any fancy jades either.

Richard

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Hmm, so I wonder where some of my fancy ones came from..

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Christopher, that new growth is incredible. I am looking forward to seeing how it develops.

I hope you (both Christopher and Rina) are able to not take those personal attacks to heart. We may not always all agree with one another here but I think we are usually pretty respectful and enjoy the discussions we have. I come here to connect with other succulent (especially jade) enthusiasts and gain knowledge.

-Erica

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Erica

I have no problem with different opinions. I do have problem with degrading statements, especially the last one. Absolute uncalled for, and vicious. Where is the said "respect, dignity, honesty and discretion?" I am having hard time to keep quiet in this case and doing my best... Hopefully, other ppl don't discuss anything personal in their pm, otherwise it may be splashed all over the net - and totally made up.

And just like you, I consider this forum to be about plants, that's all.So where can I get that elusive Denethor? :)

Rina

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I try to ignore the elephant in the room, but I cannot. What was that tirade about? I just do not get the motive behind it.

Christopher

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

I didn't realize 'Denethor' was actually a Jade until I opened this thread. How nice and unusual! Just how many different kinds of jades are there?

Now I must get my paws on one.....

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Grace, there are actually quite a few types of Jade, Crassula ovata and Crassula arborescens, including variegated and monstrose forms. This is one of the more uncommon forms.

Christopher

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Rina, I would say your best bet is from someone here or from a private horticulturalist collection. These grow so slowly that propagation is slow and requires a lot of patience. You never know what will pop up on eBay though!

-Erica

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Rina, these are such interesting plants, but unfortunately slow growers. Mine has not even branched yet, but I am hoping for one soon.

Christopher

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Erica, I think you are right (I never bought any plants on eBay - or anything else:)

Christopher, I am not sure if you mentioned how long you have it?

Rina