Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solistari

Crassula Gandalf?

Solistari
9 years ago

Hi all!

Today I took my first steps into (any kind of) gardening. I popped into the local garden centre to get a succulent, as I love the look of them and are easy to keep.

I found a plant called Crassula Gandalf, but when I opened google to search for it, not a lot comes up.
Could anyone shed some light on what exactly I've bought?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hello there and welcome to the C&S forum, sorry if you've been here before but I don't recognise your name :)

I'm not familiar with Gandalf despite growing several other Jade varieties including Crosby's Compact, Hummel's Sunset, regular Crassula ovata, Red Horn Tree, Hobbit, Gollum and a 'so called' solitary Legolas (the jury is out on that for the moment though!)
    I recall asking about Jade varieties and have linked my old thread below for you, there is a link in the last post that gives good pics and info on Jade types, sadly Gandalf is not mentioned but have a read through, it gives sound info.
    Please show us a picture of what you have, it will help tremendously. I'm sure someone else will chime in with suggestions real soon.
    Just googled it myself....says it's a hybrid between Red Horn Tree and Crassula minor.
    Please keep in touch!

Gill UK

Here is a link that might be useful: click on this link for the other thread

• Solistari
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Gill!

Thanks for your post. I was halfway through posting a pic but can't figure out how to turn it right way up. Very sorry!

Hope it helps!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hi again. That looks nice whatever it is and even if I do have to lie down to view it lol! We seem to have probs with picture orientation sometimes, have no idea why, but you did better than upside down I guess!
    It's a good tight well grown plant that should do well come the growing season ahead.
    It looks very similar to my Hobbits at the moment. As I said, someone else will be in to help...hopefully! Below is a link to the page I found, not much info though as you said. How big is the plant please?

Gill UK

Here is a link that might be useful: Gandalf

• Solistari
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Gill :)

I'm glad it looks like a good little plant! The pot it came in is about 12 cms across and the plant itself is about 10-12 cms tall. It has 4 mains...stalks? Not sure what to call them haha.

Hope that helps!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes, indeed, Gill is correct...the plant pictured is a 'Hobbit' Jade.
    Fanciful names are often given to these Jades in the market.
    Welcome to the Forum.

Josh

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Solistari, those four main 'stems' are trunks (or will be in the future) :-)
    They are probably individual branch cuttings, and can be grown as a group or can be separated to produce single-trunk tree-like specimens if you wish. You could separate one of them to grow as a solitary trunk and then keep the other three together.

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Oh, it's bigger than I thought! Even better, lol!
    Make sure it's potted in a fast draining gritty mix, can't quite tell what it's growing in at the moment, sometimes they are in the totally wrong mix...even if they look good like your plant does!

Gill UK

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Hope you don't mind me 'turning' your photo right-side up.

I believe that sideways photos happen when posting from the phone - not sure.
    I copied it on my desktop and orientated to right position.

Very nice plant. Rina

• Solistari
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your advice guys! I'm glad I can finally nail down what he is (its definitely a he).
    Any othe standard advice for a beginner?

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia