Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehuns27

Suggestions for New Potting Mix

ehuns27 7a PA
9 years ago

I would like to make my own potting mix for my succulents and was hoping for some suggestions.
I have all succulents (no cacti) and like in SE PA. They go through the sunny, hot, and humid summers outdoors on my porch and come in typically before the first frost where they spend the cold months on a window getting only what sunlight the winter provides. I water them about once a week in the summer months, while varying during the winter months by how long it takes the soil to dry out in my house.
They are doing just fine now but am hoping for a more long-term solution to keep their roots as strong as healthy as possible.
Thanks a lot!

Comments (12)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Seems like a lot of people on here use a gritty mix. I think chicken grit is one type but I haven't tried that. There are some products that are supposed to stimulate roots. The instruction are a real pain though because the label says to measure the amount of dirt in the pots. Although cacti are succulents so.......

This post was edited by CooperDR on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 18:14

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

You will find that most of us on here use Al's gritty mix. You can search on here for it and find all kinds of information. I switched my plants over to it this past summer and they are thriving. It is 3 equal parts bark fines, turface, and chicken grit. You will also need to purchase a seive to get all the fine particles out and depending on the bark fines you may need to break them up into smaller pieces. I personally purchased repti bark and turface off amazon (the cheapest I could find it) and I purchased chicken grit at a local store here in Iowa. You will also need to fertilize if you arent already. I use foliage pro - which is also recommended with gritty mix. Good luck!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Cooper DR

I am not sure I understand what you mean:
    The instruction are a real pain though because the label says to measure the amount of dirt in the pots. Although cacti are succulents so.

It is advised to mix the ingredients in equal amounts - lets say using a cup, or a gallon bucket - depending on amount you need to make. So "a cup of ingredient 1 + cup of ingredient 2 + cup of ingredient 3..."
    So it will be equal amounts by volume of each ingredient used - a cup, a gallon or 10 gallons of each.

Deva, I hope you didn't have to pay postage/handling on those ingredients? (or you bought just a small amount?)
    Repti bark is readily available in pet stores.
    Turface may be little more difficult to find (some John Deere and Agway carry it, and some other), but one needs to google to find who/if there is a distributor in your area. There are also very good substitutes available (floor dry from NAPA, dry stall, even kitty litter-but has to be correct one, DE...).
    I am able to buy it in 50lb bags & p/u. Same with chicken grit - available in farm supply stores, also in 50lb bags. Both under $20/bag.
    (I have more difficulties to find suitable bark...so often don't use it all).

Fertilizing is OK during winter, but it is better to cut down on amount.
    Rina

• ehuns27 7a PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have an issue with measuring out what I need at all. And I realize they are succulents also, I just meant all of my plants are succulents but I do not have any cacti.
    I have never completely made my own mix before so this is a fun new experience for me that I am excited about doing come Spring.
    I don't have to pay to ship anything off Amazon unless it is a private seller because I have Prime :)
    Rina, what kind of fertilizer do you use? I haven't had to use it much so am open to suggestions on that as well. How often in the warmer months is okay to fertilize?
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

This post was edited by EHunsberger on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 13:45

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

EH - just to add to the fine advice you received from Rina & Deva - Controlling the size and texture of the particles you use for your soils makes a difference insofar as how much genetic potential you'll be able to coax from your plants. Plants perform best in soils that hold little water in air spaces between particles, holding all or almost all of the water they're capable of holding inside of particles, plus the smaller amount of water held on the surface of particles and at the interface where particles contact each other. If you achieve these conditions, the soil will never be soggy (no matter how much or how often you water) to the degree it limits root function in the saturated regions of the soil. Screening out the fines and keeping particles in the .100 - .187" (1/10 - 3/16") range would be ideal. If you use bark, it's ok (for plants) if it's a little larger, up to 1/4".

Good luck!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

EH

My comments about measuring were directed more at CooperDR's comments - which I wasn't sure I understood (it's clear to me now, we talked).

Fertilizing in winter is OK too, but generally less since (inside) lighting is usually not quite enough (for many of us). There is no point of 'forcing' plant to grow in lower light, it will only stretch too much. And many are dormant, resting.

Foliage pro 9-3-6 has been suggested as excellent fertilizer. It is more difficult to get it in Canada. MiracleGro 12-4-8 is good & easy to get.

In winter, if you fertilize, it is recommended to cut down to 1/4 of recommended amount. In summer, maybe 1/2 recommended strength.

Many don't fertilize succulents.

Here is good reading about fertilizing if interested:
    click here

Rina

• ehuns27 7a PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everyone!

I have never fertilized my plants but the soil I was using before had fertilizer in it.

I appreciate all the good info, I'll definitely be looking into everything mentioned!

-EHuns

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

Rina - I used amazon and I have amazon prime - so I technically didn't pay postage. I couldn't find turface anywhere near me. I didn't like the idea of using NAPA floor dry or kitty litter. The reptibark was less expensive on Amazon so I ordered it from there instead of picking it up in store.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Deva

You may be able to find more info here on GW regarding substitutes, try search box on top right. You'll also find info how to test which cat litter is suitable.

(Googling turface, there are distributors in Iowa:
    distributors)

Here is some info about substitutes:
    click here

Repti bark is great, too bad it is pretty $ (if one needs large amounts).

Rina

• ehuns27 7a PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deva / Anyone Else.. :)

You mentioned picking up a sieve, what size mesh would you recommend?

-EHuns

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Well bark used for potting plants is easy to find and cheap- it's sold for growing orchids. I don't see how it could harm a succulent. I personally pick all the bark out of potting mixes though.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Cooper

Yes, that bark is suitable for succulents too. But it is not 'cheap'. What price are you able to get it for?
    (I don't use much bark anymore for succulents. But I have many other potted plants - olives, brugmansias, passion flower, figs & more - I could use reasonably priced bark for 5-1-1).

EH

I use a kitchen sieve to sift turface, grit & perlite with.
    Or you can buy something like this:
    click here
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 16:07