Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

Some Strange Bonsai'd Adeniums are These

For some reason I like them like I like 'Silence of the Lambs', but it does make me want to do my pachyderm impression.

Originally posted on Xeric World (Thank you, YG!).

http://www.artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1458

Here is a link that might be useful: Is that an elephant in the pot or are you glad to see me?

Comments (19)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Jeff, amazing Adeniums.
    Are frogs, Adenium trunks? If so, wonder how it's done.
    I'd imagine the trunk would need to be young so carving would be easier to work with.

Toni

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Holy cow!

No, seriously, I think I saw a holy cow in there!

Those are some seriously trippy bonzais! I'm not sure how I feel about shaping and manipulating the trunks like that to look like animals - it's certainly not something I would do myself - but I have to admit, that's gotta take a great deal of talent, time and commitment.

Thanks for sharing, Cactus!

*CG*

• paul_
    12 years ago

H-O-L-Y S- - - !!! Those were some of the most fantastic, awesome bonsai I have ever seen. Wasn't terribly wild about the animalified adeniums though the frog was interesting and that dragon (was that one even an adenium?) was truly cool. But the other bonsai pictured were simply amazing!

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Absolutely facinating.

Denise

• hijole
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm speechless, what a trade that requires time and patience. It's not my cup of tea, I would buy one already complete but wouldnt set out to train my plants to bend & twist like that.

Greg

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

...lift lower jaw off floor....

wow.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Awesome bonsai trees there but I too am not sure about the carved ones, quirky yes, but not my choice as I prefer the natural look personally.
    Funnily enough whilst looking for Adenium info last week I came across the site linked below which also shows these carved Indonesian DR's as well as various other interesting pics etc from the drop down menu.
    Gill from the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: adeniums India link

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow...some of those are really wild~ interesting but strange at the same time,lol...Thanks for the links!

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

I've never seen anything like that before! Amazing photos. Loved the animals. I would not mind living there!

I enjoyed seeing the the photos of "Suiseki" but I'm not sure just what they are, or how they are made. At first glance, I'd say they were polished rocks, but there must be more to it than that. What are they?

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

penny -

Suiseki are naturally formed viewing stones. There is not much more to them then you suggest...

Here is a link that might be useful: suiseki

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Tom, thanks for the link. It was nice to learn something new. Sort of a version of rock collecting.

• hanzrobo
    12 years ago

(jaw on floor) Thanks for showing me something new today, Jeff!

Me: "So... I'm looking for a bonsai shaped like an elephant...?..."

Guy in Bali: "How many you want?"

Gill, thanks for including your link, those are hilarious! I'd take the big lizard for sure.

Suiseki, now there's a hobby I don't have time for. I can just see myself scrutinizing every rock I come across, no matter where I go, for the rest of my life.

Pretty awesome though. Maybe I'll just make one... (ominous music)

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Suiseki...can't overwater'em, or underwater'em...

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

The Bonsai are incredible. Amazing specimens! Not sure what to think about the carved DR's.

I've always been intrigued by rocks and Japanese art. The Suiseki looks amazing. I'd never have the patience to make my own, but I'd love to own one some day.

Thank you for posting the link, Jeff.

Rob

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Those are truly amazing Trees...

Love to be in Bali visiting that show!!!

Thank you for the link to this wonderful world of Bonsai...

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Wow, my whole family and I took a look at that and were amazed!

Now, if anyone sold them here, they would probably be expensive and I would LOVE to watch a video on how they do that, Imagine if they had classes here to teach us?

Mike

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

OT - My suiseki. I used to collect them, but they really are not very challenging...

{{gwi:470606}}

{{gwi:470607}}

{{gwi:470608}}

{{gwi:470609}}

Tom

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

LOL Tom. I would imagine they are not very challenging to grow........
    I was looking at some other pictures, and came across this link. Some great bonsai and at the bottom of the page is the suiseki. The best of show, and a few other that look like small mountains are amazing.

Rob

Here is a link that might be useful: Suiseki from Puerto Rico

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Thank you Jeff and Gill. I saw some of them before, but still fun to see them again. Those bonsai DR need patient and time to take care, plus created mind.
    Marie