Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanzjade

Huge Thanksgiving Cactus score & care tips please

nanzjade z5 MA
9 years ago

My local Home Depot had these huge, beautiful Thanksgiving Cacti for $15!!!!

I bought one, had a nice shape and smaller segments - though the hairs are really prickly... ouch!! It will either be pink or red flowers. I can't believe how full it is, and I hate to complain but does it need thinning to help airflow? (I will post another pic) I wanted to spray neem just incase of hitch hiker pests, but am concerned of ability to dry out without getting a fungus.

I took it out of the plastic pot, soil looks like 100% peat, it's plenty moist so didn't water. Any suggestions on care, and if I should repot right away or wait until it adjusts to my house environment (which is rather dry in winter) Any tips appreciated.

My brother liked the plant, so I went back to the store to get him one & the vendor guy was there watering plants and rearranging the plant area. Once home, with the second TG, checked soil...was heavily soaked peat, took it out of the plastic pot, and put it on a towel to draw some water away... so afraid of root rot. (Why would he water it, I just bought one and it didn't need water. Is it because they're not back for a few weeks? or do they really want extremely wet medium and I'm not aware)
So the second TG cactus is a different variety (larger & darker green segments) and it may be white of a light color flower.

Thoughts greatly appreciated & perhaps you'll find a beauty too!
:)
Nancy

Comments (12)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor