Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

SMG Succulents (formerly Squaw Mountain Gardens)

I can't recall how I found this grower, but some of their plant material looks nice in pictures, but that doesn't speak to true quality. While it is much too early for me to order from them as we are experiencing one of the coldest winters in recent memory (not that my memory means much), I might do something in mid-April. Comments, please keep it nice or email me.

Comments (8)

• sf4023st
    10 years ago

They're great!!! The plants are shipped really nicely bagged and labeled. They're good size and my number one source for semperivum, Ive always been pleased. You'll get a good hen plus some chicks, some of the clumps they send are good size for the price. You can also buy semp cuttings for .45 cents which is a great deal if you don't care about variety. The prices use to be lower and they would send more per plant but still I am pleased, plus the haworthias and gasteria they send are really large. Healthy plants and cheap!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

They're 29-1 at the Garden Watchdog, one could put a serious dent in one's Semp want list from their holdings, and they're within visiting distance (after learning to tap from Colleen, of course - work before play) of me - that place bears watching.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Jeff, you're such a silly one.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

So, Howard, are you asking if this business is any good (for an order you may make in April)? It seems I heard a while ago that they were going out of business. Did someone else buy them out? Anyone know?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From the look of their website, they have an active business.
    While their primary interest would appear to be Semps, Sedum and Jovibarba, they have many interesting Haworthia which fascinate my simpleton mind! Going to give them a try if/when the weather gets more co-operative.

Thanks to all for your input...always nice to hear good news.

• cahac
    10 years ago

They have a good variety and everything has been great of what i bought from them but i was probably the 1st person on the East Coast that bought from the Hoakstra's when they first opened Squaw Mt Gardens on the web. RM , they may be who you heard was closing because Mrs H did send emails to all her customers when she sold out to present owner, but thats been awhile ago.
    cliff

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Thanks, Cliff! Good to know! Time flies when you're having fun!

• Neysa
    10 years ago

The owner is really great to work with. I just received a $60.00 order of Haws from them. And before that I got my gasterias and they all are doing great. The new plants I am watching because the haws were in the greenhouse and I did see they had a bit of a hard time coming here from Oregon bareroot. Nice plants and when I have questions, they are answered.

The owner and his wife started out with a hobby, but inherited over 500 plants, so now they have staff and all the stuff to go along with a business.

I rate from both my orders, A+................

Neysa in California