Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Black Prince/Knight

paul_
12 years ago

Can't remember which one I got from Bikerdoc last year, and I quite frankly have difficulty telling the two apart, but here is a flower shot (albeit less than stellar).

{{gwi:470783}}

Comments (31)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

That's a nice shot, Paul. And nary a hint of yellow (except for the stamens, of course).

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Paul, I have both. E. Black Knight has more sharply pointed leaves while E. Black Prince is more oval. Both have similarly shaped/colored flowers. I know yours is E. Black Prince because that is what I usually have a ton of! My E. Black Knight got stem rot. Fortunately, I rescued several leaves and should have 6 ~ 8 plants by end of summer. I'd show flowers and plants but all my flowers are spent!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Hey Cactusmcharris, the flowers of this hybrid (A hybrid of E. shaviana and E. affinis) differ from others in this genus in that the flowers are all red; not the typical "red/orange/yellow candy corn"

• hijole
    12 years ago

Hello yall,
    I have this same spieces however mine look nothing like this one so I have a question, do they prefer shade with bright light or full sun or partial sun?

Greg

• ChemGardner
    12 years ago

Mine gets strong direct SWFL sun for abut 4 hrs/day, and dappled sun for the rest. It handled our intense rainy season very well (my soil is heavily amended with perlite (maybe 60%)) and it's sprouting an offset.

It flowered this summer, and during a particularly windy t-storm, it's flower stalk snapped and fell down. Since it was mid-bloom and beautiful, I didn't want to just toss it, so I brought it inside and placed it into a vase with no water.it slowly dried out, but it lasted for about 3months that way. When I finally went to dispose of it, I noticed a tiny new plant that had grown out of the top of the stalk, with little roots shooting out, reaching for soil that wasn't there!

Here is a pic of it when I bought it, just as it was starting its bloom: {{gwi:470784}}

It has grown considerably since and is now much darker with almost no green at all.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Greg, to address your question: This hybrid loves strong sun to maintain its color. During the summer with good sunlight, it should look like ChemGarden's. During the winter, if you don't have enough sunlight, it will become green. These are some of mine that are in the greenhouse (pictures are today) but just don't have the space to keep them dark purple. Comes next spring, they go outside in full sunlight and turn dark once again and set new flower spikes as well as new offsets.... darn prolific Echeveria!!!!!

{{gwi:470785}}
    {{gwi:470786}}

• hijole
    12 years ago

Chemgardner, thanks for the tips yeah mine need more sun light I think because mine is more green in color and it used to be rich chocolate brown.

Bikerdock, those are some nice pictures of the Prince for sure I'd like to have a green house and I'm working towards that too, everything just seems to have such an advantage in there. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Greg, a greenhouse isn't necessarily the "end all to be all". The above pictures are of plants in my greenhouse. When I built the greenhouse, I really didn't have an "optimal" setting so in the short winter days, my succulents suffer with stunted growth and color changes. It's only during the summer when they are put outside on the driveway and receive at least 8 hrs of good sunlight that they look reasonable.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Nice shot of your blooms, Paul! Bikerdoc has already confirmed it, but those are the flowers of Echeveria 'Black Prince'. Nice plants, Bikerdoc!!:)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Lovely photo. Well done!

• paul_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RoseMarie, how would the flowers of Black Knight differ?

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

*Edit* I think I may have to take that back! What I thought were ways of telling them apart-were not! Seems my own photos have me confused. Well...I'll show you mine. :)

Click for larger view: 'Black Knight'
    {{gwi:470787}} {{gwi:470788}} {{gwi:470790}}

It's been awhile, but I believed the inflorescence of 'Black Prince' tended to branch, whereas the blooms of 'Black Knight' blob at the top, but it seems (from others I've found on the web) that both plants can go either way. Back to the drawing table! Will have to put plant with bloom to make the distinction!

• ChemGardner
    12 years ago

My inflorescence was branched, so it looks like mine is 'Black Prince'.

Here is a pic from yesterday, it is bigger and darker:

{{gwi:470792}}

{{gwi:470793}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

ChemG, your plant looks like Black Knight and well grown with its beautiful color. Black Prince has very narrow leaves. Then again, I suspect depending on the clone or specific cross the leave shape between the two could be confusing at best.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

These are absolutely beautiful! You all have a gift here.

I was wondering if anyone knew of where I could purchase one of these? I have been wanting one to add to my collection for quite some time but can't seem to find one.

Thank you so much:-)

Mike

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful plants, guys. I have one E. 'Black Prince' that I've been anxiously waiting to have produce an offset. The blooms branch rather than cluster at the top. ChemGardner's photos are really lovely--better color than I've got going.

{{gwi:470794}}
    {{gwi:468810}}

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

First...ChemGardner & Teatree...your plants are beautiful!

ChemGardner, I think I wasn't clear. :P I thought branching would be a helpful determining factor, but it turns out...is is NOT. I agree, your plant is most likely 'Black Prince', but it has less wide (skinnier) leaves than I'm used to seeing on 'B. P.'

Bikerdoc, I think you are mistaken about 'Black Prince' having narrower leaves than 'Black Knight' (although, it seems that is the case with the photos shown above). 'B.P.' leaves may be thinner though...but most times, wider than 'B.Knight'. It is possible neither one of those above are 'Black Prince', but another clone, very close to it.

Both plants have thick leaves, but 'Black Knight' leaves are thicker. 'Black Knight' leaves are longer & are generally all pointing upright (unless grown in shade, when they might lay flat). The tips of 'B.K.' leaves are the shape of an upside-down 'V', whereas those of 'B.Prince' are slightly curved before coming to a point.

Pix to follow-click for larger view:
    I hope to put 'Black Knight' on the left & 'Black Prince' on the right column

{{gwi:470795}} {{gwi:470796}}

{{gwi:470797}} {{gwi:470798}}

{{gwi:470788}} {{gwi:470799}}

Another of 'Black Prince':
    {{gwi:470800}}

I hope this hasn't been too confusing. :)
    ~Rosemarie

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

I think that's quite clear and helpful, Rosemarie!

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

I have a hard time telling the flowers apart, but the plants are different. Here is shot of both, planted in same pot 6 years ago and both doing well now. E Blakc Knight is on the left and E Black Prince is on the right.

{{gwi:470801}}

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

I am sorry, but does anyone know where I can purchase one of these. I assume that everyone here had to start somewhere, right?

Thank again

Mike:-)

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Mike, I find them every once in awhile at Home Depot. If I come across another I'll get it for you & send it for postage-if you like!

Geoff, great comparison shot! Nice plants!

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

I've never tried to root any from leaf, but I could for ya, Mike. I meant to reply to your initial inquiry, albeit I'm no help. I've only run across either of the two plants once, when I found mine, and that was a random find at a grocery store, honestly. And that plant hasn't wanted to offset yet.

I must say, I do like 'Black Knight' in comparison to 'Black Prince'...not that I'm not pleased with Mr. Knight. :)

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Ughfrg. Not that I'm pleased with my Mr. Prince, rather! Sigh.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Lol., your funny Teatree,

It sounds like we are talking about mid-evil days.lol

I really appreciate that Teatree and Rose. You have my e-mail so whenever is good for you is for me. I suppose at one point my HD probably had them too and I never noticed until these nice pics. I wish I had.

Mike:-)

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

I second Mike's request about where to purchase this plant.never see them in my area.thanks for showing.
    Sharon

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

I took a look around online & found Echeveria 'Black Prince' & 'Black Knight' on sale at shoalcreeksucculents dot com (.com). Says they have 1 of each, for 6.50

If you're in a hurry, I guess you could try there. :) I have no clue about shipping charges.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Also, if you can't wait...karacactus dot com lists both in a couple sizes...and it does not say "out of stock". You might try them. I believe they are located in Oregon.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Rosemarie,
    Thanks for the info
    I am in Ohio so I will need to wait until warmer weather. I will keep those sites in mind.
    Sharon

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

These are extremely easy to root and grow very nice plants from leaves... I do it all the time. Of course the best time is in early spring with warm weather or if you have a warm area with indirect sun that works, too. If anyone wants a plant, let me know. As I said many responses before, I have several of these( E. affinis 'Black Prince') and would be more than thrilled to share with you for the cost of S/H. Also, I can start some leaf cuttings which would be ready mid summer. My E. Black Knight had stem rot and I saved several leaves so will have a couple of them this summer. They are rooted but no heads as of yet. Of course, it is winter here in Michigan and not the best time to ship much of anything! Email me: LASSERH@HOTMAIL.COM

• paul_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for that pic, lzddr! That helps a lot. Makes it very obvious that I have the Prince.

{{gwi:470802}}

Mike, as others have mentioned, unless you're in a desperate hurry, wait until spring/summer. Bikerdoc (Howard) wasn't kidding when he said he usually has lots of Black Prince available. For that matter, if calamity befalls his Princes, I'll be able to supply you with leaves or a head to root for S/H.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Paul and Howard along with Rosemarie and Teatree, thank you so very much. I can wait and it will give me something to look forward to this summer.

Howard, thank you too! I really appreciate how everyone is willing to hook me up. It means a lot. The wait is worth it coming from people here we associate with. I was going to actually buy one, but now no need to.

My e-mail address in above and if anyone remembers me come this summer, I will repay you:-)

Sharon, looks like we just may have our own before the summer is over, It will be here before we know it.

By the way, that plant is gorgeous Paul! The black is so shiny.

Again, thanks everyone and I actually e-mailed you Howard through the forum.

Have a great night all and be safe.

Mike

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County