Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Aloe Vera is dying!!???

Posted by jskcamp Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 13:50

I'm not sure what happened. I guess my first mistake was purchasing it at Wal-Mart! Anyway, the leaves on the outside turn brown at the base. I let it dry in between watering really well as suggested and the pot does have drainage at the bottom. I have it next to a window.... How can I bring it back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Aloe Vera is dying!!???

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 14:53

What type of potting mix is it in?

o

Overpotted, overwatered and undersunned / warmed.

50% perlite cutting into that soil mix will be adequate, but for further intrigue, take a look at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe, Aloe

o

"pot does have drainage at the bottom"

Please explain what you mean by this phrase:

does it mean (1) there's a hole in the bottom (at least one)?

does it mean (2) pebbles or stones at the bottom (in the misguided hope this provides drainage, as used to be advised yrs. ago)?

o

If your aloe does not recover, keep in mind you can return it at Walmart. Walmart's practice is to NOT water any of their perennials. The store is reimbursed for plants that die, so it loses no money, but it takes money to pay an employee to water, so plants purchased there are often in irreversible shape, but I have "rescued" some from there. Good luck!

o

Thanks everyone! hoovb - it's an organic mix. I was trying to stay organic but obviously that won't work.

pirate_girl - Yes, there are two holes in the bottom for drainage.

I was hoping to revive it. I just watered it in this photo. I'm thinking maybe the organic soil isn't going to work. Can anyone tell me what soil mix is best for cacti??? Thanks again!

o

Yes, in fact it's in the link provided to you previously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here