Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariero

Example of Kalanchoe leaf variability

rosemariero
10 years ago

Just because...many times when people ask for an ID on Kalanchoes...and then the size of the leaves don't match up to their plant, think it can't be their plant. Here's an example of one of mine to show the differences. =)

Sorry for the blurry pic of the one in bloom (if I have time to go look for clear pix from my camera instead of a cell phone pic, I'll be back to post). Just doing this while I have the whim to do it!

This happens to be a Calandiva type, but this applies to many Kalanchoe, particularly K. blossfeldiana.

Click on pic to see larger view:

{{gwi:471564}} {{gwi:471565}}

Notice the size of the leaves on the plant in full bloom. I believe they were heavily fertilized by the growers (before bloom time). After blooming, conditions at my house are neglectful (the SOS program) & you can see the plant gets quite spindly, with leaves far smaller than they had been. The larger leaves are 10 times bigger. So...my point is...conditions will change the look of your plant. Know that there is considerable variation in leaf size depending on several factors.

Also, you can see how some leaves are convex & some concave (they are sucking up the succulence in the succulent leaves. :P ), making them look like other plants altogether! (like Swedish Ivy! LOL) Hmmm, reminds me of some threads we've had in the past year, with some lively discussions! :D Fun!

Okay...my rambling is over...for now. =)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH