Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Example of Kalanchoe leaf variability

Posted by rosemariero z10/24 SDiego areaCA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 14:00

Just because...many times when people ask for an ID on Kalanchoes...and then the size of the leaves don't match up to their plant, think it can't be their plant. Here's an example of one of mine to show the differences. =)

Sorry for the blurry pic of the one in bloom (if I have time to go look for clear pix from my camera instead of a cell phone pic, I'll be back to post). Just doing this while I have the whim to do it!

This happens to be a Calandiva type, but this applies to many Kalanchoe, particularly K. blossfeldiana.

Click on pic to see larger view:

photo KalanchoeCalandivalglvsfullbloom_zps5dad8a8b.jpg  photo KalanchoeCalandivasmlvs_zpsabbe5c31.jpg

Notice the size of the leaves on the plant in full bloom. I believe they were heavily fertilized by the growers (before bloom time). After blooming, conditions at my house are neglectful (the SOS program) & you can see the plant gets quite spindly, with leaves far smaller than they had been. The larger leaves are 10 times bigger. So...my point is...conditions will change the look of your plant. Know that there is considerable variation in leaf size depending on several factors.

Also, you can see how some leaves are convex & some concave (they are sucking up the succulence in the succulent leaves. :P ), making them look like other plants altogether! (like Swedish Ivy! LOL) Hmmm, reminds me of some threads we've had in the past year, with some lively discussions! :D Fun!

Okay...my rambling is over...for now. =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Example of Kalanchoe leaf variability

Very astute observations, Rosemarie. I have noticed the same thing over the years. I had a K. blossfeldiana for twenty years that my great aunt must have had for many more, and the leaf sized varied even on that one. Of course with the hybrids like Calandiva there seems to be even greater variation than ever before.

Christopher

o
RE: Example of Kalanchoe leaf variability

Thanks, Chris! Yes, so much variation!

As promised (since I found them), better pix taken with my camera:
Click for larger~

photo DSC_1409KalanchoeCalandiva_zps7a20ea57.jpg  photo DSC_1407KalanchoeCalandiva_zps93c251f4.jpg
 photo DSC_1406KalanchoeCalandiva_zps9adae148.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here