Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Struggling for light, no wonder these are hard to ID sometimes

At the height of summer, this was more purple than anything else. After sitting in less than optimal light for about 2 months, the new growth looks nothing like what this plant should, and the older leaves have turned a boring olive drab color. No wonder some plants folks can't ID are mysteries.

Do you have an example of struggling for light?

Comments (15)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Echeveria does this at this time of year from too little light. But the leaves look too fat. Can't help you.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, TY, Stush. I wasn't asking for an ID, just showing what can happen in not enough light, why some plants can look strange. The top part doesn't look like the same plant, huh? I once knew what it was, but lost track of some names when shuffling stuff around to come inside. It's one of those Grapto-things I think. Just not enough room by windows for everyone.

• User
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,

No, I believe it's an Anacampseros (maybe rufenses). I know its (when not starved for light) rhomboid sort of leaf shape. Also recognize the hairs, & believe the underside of the leaves is usually reddish purple.

But I didn't think Purple was asking ID, thought asking abt other plants stretching for light (just a Begonia right now).

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Surely an Anacampseros. The 2 most common encountered are what PG hints at and Anacampseros telephiastrum. I vote A. rufescens.

Original Author
    10 years ago

TY for the inputs!

Is Anacampseros one of those rename names? My notes say Graptosedum but I could be confused after moving things around.

Here are some other (temporarily) light-starved sux, looking funky.

Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi losing it's pretty purple edges, etiolated nodes.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tradescantia zebrina was in enough sun outside to have red leaves. The new ones are much less interesting.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Senecio citriformis AKA Curio citriformis, struggling for light.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Not that all of my plants are struggling, not at all, these are the examples I could find in pots that just don't fit closer to a window.

Last for today, Tradescantia sillamontana. (I'd cut everything off at the soil level for cuttings. This is what is growing back.)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

No, Anacampseros is not one of those names that changed, Tiffany. Not a x xGraptosedum. Although, some Avonia used to be included in Anacampseros.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Much appreciated, TY! I'm sure the error is at my end, caught me with my confusion pants on. On a day like this, that's just a small part of what I'm wearing!

So does everyone else have tons of great light for all of their plants huddled inside for winter? If the sun was out every day since coming in, I don't think some of these examples would be so extreme.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Do I have them struggling for light!!!
    Even with artificial light it's not really enough. Only so much room next to the window, and every inch further makes a difference.

Here, poor echeveria really needs some sunshine.
    Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

E. nodulosa stretching too much too:

• Starlight Botanist
    10 years ago

I have a light starved Sempervivum tectorum(not sure if ID is correct) that i got as a stowaway in a 'gollem' jade.

This is it, August 28th, 2013
    {{gwi:471895}}

This is it today
    {{gwi:471897}}

As soon as i realized it was elongating I found a way to get it in brighter light, but the damage is done. Hopefully will get some offsets in the spring and can get ride of this elongated one. :-)

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I have my Echieverias right up against the glass in a south-facing bay window that gets east and west sun too. No matter how dry and in the sun I keep them, certain ones are just stretching. Echieveria peacockii seems to be the worst. It was so big and beautiful when I bought it last spring. It'll be chop and prop time when the weather gets warmer.

My semps are outside either PIG or in a planter covered with snow. I wouldn't even try to grow those inside...not that I have the room.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Oh, isn't E. nodulosa a horrible stretcher. Don't feel too badly about it, Rina; I find that plant would eventually become less than perfect in even ideal conditions. After a year or two, I have to cut mine and re-root because its losing its lower leaves makes it extremely gangly. I re-root it the most often of all my Echeveria. Winters are tough, but I find it just to be a tough plant to keep looking good without a little help.

I believe that Sempervivum is going into flower, not stretching for light. :)

This post was edited by teatree on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 21:55

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus