Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longaeva54

Yucca Rostrata

longaeva54
12 years ago

Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden in zone 5 or 6 ?

{{gwi:472053}}

Comments (23)

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

I don't personally, but I always see them listed as hardy to zone 5. If you post this question on the palms forum, you may get an answer. There's a very active forum there and even though it's "Palms", it seems geared mostly toward growing palms and other things that are palm-like such as yuccas, in cold zones. I'm sure you'll get a response there.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Sorry, just in a pot - out until fall, garaged in winter. I have been tempted, though. They are pretty tough. I think it can be done given the right site and drainage.

Tom

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Ya know, with the way this winter has been going for us in the northeast, I am half tempted to stick my rostrata in it pot outside. That's a dumb idea, right?

Tom

• dellis530
    12 years ago

Tom - Don't let it fool you, I bet we're still in for a blizzard in Feb. I don't grow yuccas but I always thought that pot grown plants like that are weaker on a cellular level as opposed to ground grown plants. I would worry that the yucca couldnt acclimate to the cold without killing it from shock. BUT I could be wrong, these plants surprise me everyday.

Denise

PS That is a GORGEOUS yucca!! Now I may want one, how old is that one and do you have to trim the dead leaves to make that cool trunk? Or can you buy it that way?

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Hi Denise -

You are right, of course - I should keep it garaged until March. Just loving this winter (so far...)!

That is not my rostrata in the picture, but it would have to have been pruned to not have all of the spent leaves covering the trunk. In fact, I can see some of the lower ones have been pruned in half, as well. It is a nice one.

Bill - btw, do you keep that plant indoors during the winter? Growing by a window at that time?

Thanks.

Tom

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Oops, just realized that my last question is not for Bill, it is for longaeva54 (who posted the picture, above).

Sorry!

T

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bought it on September last year and I only trimmed 12 inches below the crown. I have a smaller yucca rostrata,yucca Thompsoniana and seedlings of yucca Aloifolia which I kept under poly tent during winter.
    {{gwi:472055}}
    {{gwi:472056}}

• tride26
    12 years ago

i live in z5 denver and have both rostrata and thompsoniana planted outside in my garden.
    i also have several agave, and cold hardy cactus.
    they all do great here.
    i have them in a very sunny location on a slight sloped dry area of my yard.
    we get very cold temps but it is mostly dry in the winter, which i think helps them make it.

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tride26, Thanks,Please, can you post some photos from your garden.
    I planted last summer hardy agaves ,agave Havardiana, agave Neomexicana and Agave Utahensis var. Nevadensis.I have hardy cactus(Echinocereus cv.=Pediocactus=Escobaria cv.=opuntia cv. and Neobesseya cv.) planted on a slope.
    Photo from last summer
    {{gwi:472058}}
    Winter protection from rain
    {{gwi:472060}}

• tride26
    12 years ago

very beautiful pics longaeva.
    is that large agave the Havardiana? how old is it?
    i just got one of those last summer but it is very small.
    i don't have any pictures of my succulent/cactus/perennial garden and currently it is sitting under 1ft of snow.
    all the opuntia are deflated and lying on the ground.
    i'll try to remember to snap some photos this spring when things bounce back and post them up in this thread.

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is Agave Havardiana,age ??? I bought it last year.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

hi -

Seems like every year around this time I get this urge to stick my poor 3.5 foot tall potted Y. rostrata outdoors!

Now that I have a permanent greenhouse structure (albeit, unheated and frozen at this time...) I wonder if my plant would prefer that to a dark garage. The garage is definitely warmer on the average (never goes below freezing) as compared to the greenhouse which could drop as low as it will drop outdoors (last week we hit 1F, but we are in a warming trend - for now...).

So, am I just bored in thinking about doing this? I know they are very hardy, and it would be dry in the greenhouse - but am I introducing stress unnecessarily? The dark garage has been successful for several years now...maybe I am making up my mind to leave well enough alone as I write this post?

Any thoughts, I am always interested!

Thanks.

Tom

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    11 years ago

Someone say Y. rostrata?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

the flower is pretty, too.
    {{gwi:472062}}

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

Awesome pics...but, I suppose y'all in SoCal and VOTS (I learned that acronym recently...thanks!) have no opinion on my question?

;-)

Thanks.

T

11 years ago

I'm sure the plant would prefer light to darkness. Don't you think?

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

GS -

Makes sense...just not sure about long term exposure in a dry greenhouse (at least the next month or so, I would think) of averaging 30 - 40F degree days and 10 - 30 F degree nights. In the garage, it experiences more of a steady, less fluctuating temperature range.

Well, we are coming into February...spring soon, right? Maybe I will wait it out a bit, see how the temps start trending.

Anybody on the forum have one of these planted in the ground in a zone 6 or so?

Thanks.

T

11 years ago

Dry air with wide ranging temps sounds like natural winter conditions for most Yuccas. Definitely natural winter conditions here.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

And natural conditions here, too, but I don't have a plant like yours, Tom. Still if it wasn't cold and wet most of the time, I think you'd be OK.

{{gwi:472064}}

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

Now that's what I'm talking about, Jeff! Is that a rostrata under there?

T

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I suppose y'all in SoCal and VOTS (I learned that acronym recently...thanks!) have no opinion on my question?

Zero experience with cold weather, basements, snow. An "unheated greenhouse" here could just as well be called a "sauna".

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

I hear ya...wish I could say the same.

T

• nick_2013
    11 years ago

Hi Tom. I Just got some Y. Rostrada today (5 gallon) and it got dark before I can put it in the ground. I don't have your dilemma; I am in Az. I feel your need to put it in the ground. These mature plants are absolutey stunning when they reached 6 feet or taller. I have an idea for you. Plant it near a south wall of your house. This should receive the most sun exposure during the winter month and your brick wall should radiate some heat to protect it. You can always erect some temporary shelter and cover it if needed. Good luck.