Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhd47

Help ID plant problem

dhd47
9 years ago

Hello,
I noticed on the one plant I have a problem that looks like a spider web on the plant but I'm sure it's not spiders (I think). I wanted to know if you guys can help me with this. I'm sure you can and have the answer on how to correct the issue with the plant.

Thanks,
Dave

Comments (14)

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a second photo showing the issue.

Thank you.
    Dave

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It looks like a small spider web. They aren't always present. Just setting their trap for unwary visitors.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

zackey

Are you sure that is regular (but tiny) spider?
    I found similar web on one of my succs (stretching from the plant to rock).
    Dave, I always worry about spider mites!

Rina

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no I don't think this is a spider but spider mites, i'm not sure.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    9 years ago

Mealybugs can leave a white cotton like substance... hard to see though. you may want to Google images & compare.

Nancy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Not spider mites, not mealies.

Were spider mites to make that concentration of webbing, you'd see lesser webbing all over.

Mealies don't weave. ;-)

I'm with Zackey, a small spider.

tj

P.S. Rina- You could have spider mites. Look to see if any of those dots on the web are moving.

• shannonplant
    9 years ago

may be mealy bugs if cottony,,,,touch as many bugs as you can with qtip dipped in alcohol or do like me and use germx on the qtip

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

Looks like mealybugs. They LOVE jades. My oldest gollum has been plagued with them for ages, I just can't seem to get on top of it. Spritz with rubbing alcohol/water mixture every few days. I was able to get rid of them on some of the smaller gollums, but it took a lot of effort.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

tj

Thanks, that's what I always worry about. But nothing is 'moving' there. I looked with magnifying glass to make sure. Still, I cleaned it off with rosemary oil+water solution.
    I check all the plants very often.
    Just don't want to kill real spiders...Rina

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I would've guessed mealy bugs but what you could do is get a USB microscope. They're fun and you attatch it to your computer. Not really that pricey either. Best buy sells cheap ones online.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Yes, USB microscope is great - I got one for my grand daughter for Christmas...

Dave

What have you decided to do with that web? Did you see anything 'tiny' crawling there, or any more white fluffy stuff somewhere else?
    I use spray of alcohol & water, or as I mentioned above, rosemary oil+water. Either spray or clean with q-tip.

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the information. I'll start a spray with alcohol and water to see if it helps. If I do use alcohol and water will it hurt a real spider if in fact it is just a spider?
    D

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Why not just remove the web first, and see what happens? There might be no need to do anything else.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Yes, spraying it will kill the spider. In all of my years of dealing with mealybugs I never saw a web on the plants. They prefer to live under the leaves or where the leaves meet the stem.