Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hummel Sunset and A Birthday Wish for our Friend

puglvr1
12 years ago

Happy Birthday Josh! Since Jades are one of your favorite plants I thought I would include a picture of my Hummel sunset along with my warmest birthday wishes...after many weeks of waiting its finally colored up nicely. Its been a pretty warm winter overall, although we've had 3 morning lows around freezing so far since the beginning of January here Central FL. Back to the upper 70's by next weekend though!

{{gwi:472744}}

Enjoy your birthday Josh!

Nancy

Comments (32)

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Very nice! Happy Birthday Josh!!!

~Erin~

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, Nancy and Erin!

Nancy, you finally have some color! I know how hard it is for you to wait all year to get these
    beautiful hues on your plant. But it was well worth the wait!

Josh

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Wowza, that's gorgeous!

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday,Josh

...Sharon...

12 years ago

Thank you, Sharon!

Josh

• emerald1951
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday dear Josh
    Happy Birthday to you.....and many more...

believe me be glad this is a e-mail....lol

Happy Bithday and I hope it was a very nice day....linda

12 years ago

Indeed, Linda! Thanks for the "song" ;-)

One of my good friends did leave me a voice-mail wherein he sang the full song to me.

I went to a concert over in Reno, Nevada, last night...and didn't roll back into California
    until 4:30 this morning, so I've been taking it pretty easy today...as you might imagine.

I'm getting ready to barbecue grill a tri-tip in a bit....

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love tri-tip Josh! Used to B-B-Q those when I lived in Lompoc. No one around here ever heard of it lol...

Glad you had a great day!

Thanks for the nice comments on my Hummel sunset.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Happy belated birthday Josh (been home & a bit out of it; under the weather w/ a bad knee).

Hiya Pug,

What a gorgeous coloration that Jade has developed, NOW I see what all the talk is about these, nice job, TFS!

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday, good Sir! I hope it was everything you hoped for. And a splendid way to be greeted, with a Hummel Sunset! :) Lovely!

I considered contrasting the Hummel with a photo of my Not-A-Sunset, but I think my recent thread dedicated to that beast pretty much does it for that plant. :) So instead I offer you some shots of one of my mother's other jades:

{{gwi:472745}}

{{gwi:472746}}

{{gwi:472748}}

{{gwi:472749}}

{{gwi:472751}}

{{gwi:472752}}

{{gwi:472753}}

{{gwi:472754}}

{{gwi:472755}}

{{gwi:472756}}

Happy Birthday, Josh!

*CG*

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Josh!!!!

I hope you have recovered from your concert!! : )

REMEMBER TO CELEBRATE YOUR "BIRTHDAY WEEK" LOL

Take care,

Sorry i was late to the party!!!

Laura

• hijole
    12 years ago

Josh, o my goodness your birthday and you didn't even mention it I'm glad I just happen to peek into this post to check out the party and then surprize It's Joshes birthday, so young man how young are you now?

And don't forget It's just a state of mind did you check out Betty White tonight she's still painting the town Red.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSH

GREG THE CONTENDER FROM THE WEST COAST SECTION OF THE MAP.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Just spied the post so...Greetings from me too! Hope you had a great day!
    Gill from the UK (; D)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Pirate Girl...Thanks so much! Hummel is definitely one of my most favorite jades especially this time of year when they get those pretty colors. In the summer they look just like the regular green variety.

CG, thanks as well and what a gorgeous Jade you have...SO envious of your pretty blooms!

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hello Nancy

That's beautiful!!! What a surprise to see when I opened this thread this am! Where was I?

Wonderful job Nancy! It only gets easier from here:-)

Hey Josh, I already got you privately but here again!:-)

Mike

12 years ago

Well good morning!
    Thank you, Nancy, Karen (hope you feel better), CG, Laura, Greg, Gill, and Mike! ;-)
    CG, thank you for the lovely green Jades....very thick and full specimens your mother has!

Yes, Laura, I am fully recovered from the concert! The birthday week shall continue until the weekend,
    when I meet up with my brother, sister, and my parents for dinner at a local steakhouse (I think).

Mike, I got the group e-mail last night, thanks! I read it, but didn't respond 'til this morning.
    So how cold was it for you last night?

Hey, Greg, I'm glad you happened to stop by!
    You know me, I'm not much one to promote my own festivities...but Nancy has a great memory and
    she's quick on the draw! ;-)

I am now officially 33 years young! Hallelujah!

Josh

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Happy belated birthday Josh. Sorry I don't have a memory. Don't even know what that is. I have had 58 birthdays and I am still 39 years old. (Like Jack Benny for all you old timers out there). I do have one jade in my collection and just found out it is not a jade. Just a jade cousin. Forgot the name already. It is very colorful and very slow growing. Two years and it grew 1/2 inch. It is in crappie soil. The soil they come in. So who's to blame. Bought it on clearance for only 50 cents.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Josh,

Having provided sage advice here for so long, I thought you were a little older than your reported age. Of course, if you're part Korean (and you are) you'd be 34. Many happy returns, my friend, and wishes for all of your C. o. to root, grow and flower.

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Josh: 33? That's all? Erin will be tickled - we kinda figured she and I were the youngest here (I'm 34 in March, and I think she's still in her late 20's). Well, I guess you got me beat, young whipper-snapper! :)

*CG*

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Mike my friend...thanks for the nice comments!

I wish I was 33 again,lol...Oh well, we all can't be young (darn it)!

12 years ago

Thanks, Stush, glad to see you, memory or not! ;-)

Kamsahamnida for the kind words, Jeffrey! I am honored that you have considered my offerings beyond my years!
    I am only Korean in spirit (Portuguese and Russian Jew by blood), but I will gladly take that extra
    year (for the moons that I spent in the womb). After high school, I worked for a while in an all-Korean
    dental lab, and there developed my love for the beautiful Korean people, their language, and their food!

Thank you, CG! Well if you'll be 34 in March, then it must be Erin that just turned 30! Unless I'm
    thinking of someone else! Either way, I definitely feel young despite my accruing years ;-)

We do have a few members who are even younger....Andrew of the Lemon is still in high school,
    along with Ryan Tree from Virginia. Also, Jonas Kragebaer from Denmark is finishing up high school
    or else off to college. We've got to encourage the next generation to continue!

Josh

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Happy late ol' (young) birthday! And I'm another young one, CG; about mid-twenties, and in terms of most personal interests, about 88. :)

• hijole
    12 years ago

Glad to see everyone getting along just fine no matter what your ages may be.
    So if I may a little joke for those who seem to tread another birthday .
    Don't worry about another B/D because the more you have the longer you'll live .

I can see there's a lot of young blood in the mix so just laugh.

Greg

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

I think it's fantastic that the youngins hang out around here too!

It's so rare to see such people take such an interest in these plants and now if only I could find one that does in my neck of the woods!

It's encourageing and a blessing. I plan on going to my nieces school to show a bit about succulents and what type of care they need. Maybe I can trigger interest in many young people as I was.

Many happy one to you Josh and it's so nice to know you all here. I will be turning another year younger soon, but not with a bang like this.lol

Have a great day to all

Mike:-)

• marquest
    12 years ago

Sorry I am late....

Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday Dear Josh
    Happy Birthday toooooo youuuuu

{{gwi:472758}}

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Wow! I had no idea we had so many younger people here! I guess I'm just not used to my peers liking plants as much as I do. Anytime I start talking about C&S, or chaparral and natives vs. exotic invasives, they start looking at me all funny. Although, I have had a few moments of vindication - when I go on hikes with folks from my old department and I'm able to talk about the specific plants and vegetation we're hiking through. :) Likewise, when I'm in a BBS and I start talking with folks about the C&S I'm buying.

Mike: I agree, spread the love amongst the young-uns! Keep the faith alive! That's pretty cool that you bring C&S to the kids. They are truly fascinating plants, and I can just envision the imaginations they'll capture. :) Remind me again where your neck of the woods is?

Josh: I, too, am not the least bit "Asian" (Greek & Lebanese on one side, English/Irish/French/German on the other), but I spent a year working in an "Asian" grocery store, where the majority of customers and employees were Chinese, Vietnamese, and...well, Mexican, which isn't Asian, either, but anyway. Not too many Japanese or Koreans - they had their own stores. I'd have to agree with you, though, Korean is a beautiful language. I enjoy Korean, Mandarin, and Japanese (food as well as languages). :)

*CG*

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Nice frog Marquest ;>)

For spreadin' the love among others (maybe not just the youngins') folks should check out their local Cactus & Succulents Societies.

I belonged to mine for 10 yrs., my Indoor Gardening Society (15+ yrs.); or check out your local Horticultural Society to perhaps be directed further. It can put a person in touch w/ other like-minded plant lovers. It can be wonderful, if one lives near a city or big town even (?) I encourage folks to check it out.

Right Jeff? (He did similarly in San Diego.)

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

PirateGirl: An excellent suggestion. I just got my application for the San Diego C&S Society, which I'll be mailing in shortly. (We don't have a CSS where I live. I suppose Yuma, AZ, would be the closest, but I go to SD far more than I go to AZ.)

*CG*

• chicagardens
    12 years ago

what a nice tribute. happy birthday josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Karen,

Right on, promoting the succulent lifestyle since 1998 is part of what I hold dearly.

CG,

The Central Arizona C&S Society (which meets at the Desert Botanical Garden) might be closer, no?

Here is a link that might be useful: CACSS

12 years ago

Mike, we'll roll out the jade carpet for you, too....my plants should have nice color by April ;-)

Marquest, thank you for the song and the unique Jade. Is that a small-leaf Jade with variegation?

CG, what a nice assemblage of ethnicities ;-) With any luck, we "youngsters" will inspire
    the next generation to carry on the tradition of succulent cultivation.

Chica, thank you! I agree, this Thread has been great!

Josh

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Cactus: Thanks for the tip. I mapped it out, and it's some 254 miles (roughly 4.5 hrs) from my place to their meeting place. I'll look into Yuma or Riverside, but I'm still thinking my best bet is SD. I really appreciate the suggestion, tho! :)

*CG*