Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying with food coloring

Posted by whiteeaglesue 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 15:06

Does anyone know how to dye succulents with food coloring. I would love to do this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying with food coloring

This begs the question...WHY?

Christopher

o

It is different snd i would like to try it

o

I believe most people on this forum are abhorred by the idea (including me). So, I don't think too many would be willing tell you how, even if they knew. I suppose you could experiment, if you're so inclined.

o

It's right up there with baby seal beating, in my book.

o

Is there a law protecting palnts against 'abuse'? If not, there should be..
It drves me nuts when they spray die those Phal orchids or glue objects to others..

o

I don't think it's possible to dye succulents with food coloring since they wouldn't take up water like a carnation flower would. You'd most likely have to use something that would coat the leaves like spray paint.

I think there are some craft forums here where your question would be better received.

o

Sorry tp have affended anyone

o

We're not offended - we just like to express our righteous indignation at the egregious plant abuse occurring with dyed plants.

o

No worries, Sue.  photo winkingsmileyface_zps3bd8c659.gif It is simply that most of the folks here grow and enjoy plants for what they are, the way they are. The plants are admired for the natural beauty or interest they possess. Injecting them with dyes, spray painting them, or gluing flowers on them and any other unnatural "beautification" attempts is not something that would be well received here. Doing so run contrary to that philosophy of enjoying what God (or nature for those not of a religious bent) has created as it is. (For that matter hop on an orchid forum and ask about dying orchids -- you'll get the same reaction.)

In addition there is the concern for how such "make-overs" may affect the plant's health. As folks here are not typically into cacti/succulents as "disposable decorations," again doing such things as you mentioned which are not in any way beneficial (and may in fact prove harmful) to the plant are not viewed as desirable. Once more, a different frame of mind.

Dying/painting/etc is rather like those poor fish one sees in the stores these days that have been injected with fluorescent dyes for the novelty effect.

As was mentioned, a craft forum might be a better place to make your inquiry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here