Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whiteeaglesue

dying with food coloring

whiteeaglesue
10 years ago

Does anyone know how to dye succulents with food coloring. I would love to do this

Comments (18)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

This begs the question...WHY?

Christopher

• whiteeaglesue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is different snd i would like to try it

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I believe most people on this forum are abhorred by the idea (including me). So, I don't think too many would be willing tell you how, even if they knew. I suppose you could experiment, if you're so inclined.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

It's right up there with baby seal beating, in my book.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Is there a law protecting palnts against 'abuse'? If not, there should be..
    It drves me nuts when they spray die those Phal orchids or glue objects to others..

• ahelaumakani
    10 years ago

I don't think it's possible to dye succulents with food coloring since they wouldn't take up water like a carnation flower would. You'd most likely have to use something that would coat the leaves like spray paint.

I think there are some craft forums here where your question would be better received.

• whiteeaglesue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry tp have affended anyone

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

We're not offended - we just like to express our righteous indignation at the egregious plant abuse occurring with dyed plants.

• paul_
    10 years ago

No worries, Sue. It is simply that most of the folks here grow and enjoy plants for what they are, the way they are. The plants are admired for the natural beauty or interest they possess. Injecting them with dyes, spray painting them, or gluing flowers on them and any other unnatural "beautification" attempts is not something that would be well received here. Doing so run contrary to that philosophy of enjoying what God (or nature for those not of a religious bent) has created as it is. (For that matter hop on an orchid forum and ask about dying orchids -- you'll get the same reaction.)

In addition there is the concern for how such "make-overs" may affect the plant's health. As folks here are not typically into cacti/succulents as "disposable decorations," again doing such things as you mentioned which are not in any way beneficial (and may in fact prove harmful) to the plant are not viewed as desirable. Once more, a different frame of mind.

Dying/painting/etc is rather like those poor fish one sees in the stores these days that have been injected with fluorescent dyes for the novelty effect.

As was mentioned, a craft forum might be a better place to make your inquiry.

• rifj2
    9 years ago

You people are absolutely ridiculous and rude, rude RUDE! Someone just comes on here and ask a simple question, probably after seeing some purple succulents on Pinterest that were photoshoped, and you jump down their throats. They're succulents people! Get over yourselves and show some kindness.

• Connie Crosby
    8 years ago

Wow.

• Rhamel (aka teengardener1888)
    8 years ago

Plants are pretty enough without dyes...

• Jon Knoff
    6 years ago

It is not recommended. Tried to inject one of my succulents with a different color than the rest, and omg. All the other succulents started to yell racial slurs at the poor guy, and I had to remove him from the rest. It was heartbreaking. I already had an orchid that I had colored from before and I put them together for comfort. They have formed a “colored-agains-my-will” support group called #meblue and are threatening to sue me.

Take my warning and don’t do it. Beat baby seals instead, at least you can wear those.

• SpanishFly - (Mediterranean)
    6 years ago

This thread is 4 years old - RIP.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    6 years ago

Pretty funny, Jon Knoff. I have to ask - how did you choose/find this old thread to introduce yourself and your humor to us? Thanks!

• Pagan
    6 years ago

I tried this too, but did it by watering with a food-grade dye. No banana. I think the grapto's roots have valves that asked for ID and only allowed dihydrogen oxide in.

• Jon Knoff
    6 years ago

My wife is a succulolic. She showed me some of the comments by the plant rights movement, and I just couldn’t help myself.