Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Variegated Jade Forest (pics)

Let the New Year root-down commence!

This succulent project began last month when I received these most excellent cuttings.
I immediately set to work assembling a mix of screened Fir bark and assorted grit - Turface,
Pumice, Scoria, Perlite, and quartzite. Then I filled the long bonsai planter that I used to root
my last Jade Forest, arranged the cuttings, added a bit more mix to situate the cuttings.

After nearly a month of patience, I assumed the cuttings had sent out roots and were ready
for some moisture. So I gently lifted each cutting, then replaced in the container, and watered
to wet the roots and settle the mix. With a porous, loose mix one can check on cuttings without
worrying about damaging roots. Yet another advantage of a superior potting mix.

But enough talk! On with the pics, yes? ;-)

Here's the starting material. If I've mislabeled these, please let me know.
And if you're interested in the fine finger Jade 'Legolas,' talk to Gmaculata for details.

{{gwi:473053}}

Contemplating the layout for the cuttings:

{{gwi:473054}}

A close up shot of the motley mix:

{{gwi:473055}}

Cuttings situated and ready to put down roots:

{{gwi:473056}}

A couple weeks later, on a sunny window-sill:

{{gwi:473057}}

And then the proof in the puddin' -
'Maruba Nishiki'

{{gwi:473058}}

Lancaster variegated

{{gwi:473059}}

'Legolas'

{{gwi:473060}}

'Red Horn Tree' with lots of root activity!

{{gwi:473061}}

Josh

Comments (187)

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

Josh

my jade plant has another plant in it that I think maybe might be something similar to jade. do you know what it is?

Isaac

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know what it is. It's not a Jade...looks like a fleshy Echeveria or one of the many hybrids, Graptoveria, et cetera.

There is a "Name That Plant" Forum for plant identification at GardenWeb, and the participants are very good at ID.

Josh

• Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
    9 years ago

Isaac, it looks very much like Graptopetalum paraguayense.

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help :D

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think the plant at the top is alligator kalanchoe of mother of thousands

Original Author
    9 years ago

Please start a new Thread for those pictures :-) You'll get better responses for identification.
    This Thread is about variegated Jade plants.

Josh

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

OK :D

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

Is this tri color jade not to certain

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

Josh

Original Author
    9 years ago

Today was the day of the separation. The forest is no more....now they are all solo :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Maruba Nishiki in a pot that a former student made for me:

Original Author
    9 years ago

'Red Horn Tree' - sorry, not such a good pic.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Variegated Jade from Lancaster Gardens. This Jade is very vigorous, so I put it in a larger pot to help it put on size.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Then I grouped them in a shady area to rest for the afternoon :-)

Thus concludes the variegated Jade Forest....until next time.

• Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
    9 years ago

All beautiful ;) ...and they look very healthy, congratulations ! Legolas is stunning.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

How beautiful they all look ! Great work, it will be interesting to see if they speed up growth now.

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

Nice jades ,they look wonderful in the new pots

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Yes! I concur! They all look beautiful and 'Legolas' looks fantastic. I see a lot of green on that one branch so hopefully, it will grow faster for you.

• ehuns27 7a PA
    9 years ago

They all look great! They have really gotten some nice woody trunks on them. I love the canopy growth on the Lancaster Gardens jade.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all! I think they'll be much healthier now, and they'll grow faster. The roots were all matted together and very dry. With that many Jades in a single container, they were sucking a lot of moisture out of the soil.

The Lancaster variegate developed that canopy without any pinching or shaping....other than turning the container periodically.

I will begin fertilizing in a week or two.

Josh

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update josh ,nice to see how the jades are doing :)

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

This makes me think it may be time for mine to have their own pots!

This is 5 different plants. 4 regular and one variegated. They are getting a bit crowded and I think I want to get them in gritty mix.

Original Author
    9 years ago

They do look crowded, but they look good!

Josh

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

Thanks Josh. They are getting crowded. I'm going to send one bare root to a friend in Cali along with some other cuttings. Then the rest are getting their own homes. :-)

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

put my tri color jade into a new pot yesterday.

The old and the new pot comparison

The tri color jade in it's new spot

• myermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Oh Josh. I think you did a fantastic job. They will grow so nice now that you gave them such plenty of room. Fertilize fertilize. I noticed that color is coming on. By the way. I want you to know that the 'Legolas' never has to be trimmed to be full and short. It grows a great canopy without cutting anything back. The Maruba also never needs cutting back. You'll see. Except for the fact I shared a couple of cuttings. It has never been punched back.

I know you would do such a great job with yours and if I should ever lose any of mine, I have nothing to fear. Thanks for sharing pal.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

plantcollector75, I wasn't sure your plant was a tricolor jade but now I see it is. It's a lovely plant, I hope you'll post another pic later on.

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

I think this is a regular jade plant or maybe it might be a kalanchoe

More tri color jade pictures

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

That does look like a jade leaf, plantcollector. Are you ever tempted to top your tricolor?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

plantcollector

I agree with Marguerite that it is jade leaf, with a nice growth. There is a plant to the very left in first photo that looks like kalanchoe (net very clear in the photo). The leaves of jade are overall smaller & 'chubbier' (thicker) than kalanchoe.

Just wondering about your re-pot; did you feel it needed bigger pot?

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

Rina

The plant left of the jade is a red double flower kalanchoe. (Picture here is a cutting I took of the plant yesterday).

I sadly totally forgot about the regular jade plant till now my garden. Yes the tri color did need a new pot when I got it ,roots where starting to come out the bottom , (I forgot to take a picture of the roots sadly ).

plantcollector75

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago

Marguerite

yes sometimes I am tempted to top the plant and get other variegated jade or other different varieties :)

plantcollector75

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Small update on my jade plants

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

When you talk about your Tricolor jade, plantcollector, is it an ovata or obliqua type? To me your plant looks like a variegated Crassula ovata, in the earlier photos anyway. - but I find it very hard to tell the difference, to be honest, because both types of leaves seem to appear on both types. It is only recently that I found there was a Tricolor version of both types.

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

It is I think a obliqua jade from looks of it

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Yes, I think that now too, but for some reason in the earlier pictures the leaves seemed more ovate.

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

A update on my jade plant

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Josh, I saw a plant that looked like your Crassula Ovata Obliqua x Hummel's Sunset yesterday! It was 30% off with some scarring on its leaves (hard brown spots).

Still couldn't resist picking it up. New leaves are forming on the stems and I'm quite excited!

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Plantcollector, you can create your own thread for updates and information about your own plants. Typically it is considered hijaking someone's thread when you continually post something of your own. From now on please use your own thread for updates on your plants. Thanks!

-Erica

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

OK (:

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello!

Ewwmayo, what you have there are two 'Tricolor' Jades.

The Maruba Nishiki is a different Jade. Pattern of the leaves, shape of the leaves, texture and stiffness of the leaves, and the trunk characteristics are all different.

Josh

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Since the conversation has been started, might as well continue, eh, Erica? Josh, I'm interested in what you say re. Maruba Nishiki. I'm familiar of course with the Tricolor jade, but not with Maruba; what is the difference re, texture and stiffness of leaves, and the trunk characteristics? It would be very helpful to know in case I ever came across one.

Plantcollector, aside from any forum conventions etc., by your name you must have some nice plants. Do start a thread and let's have a look. I've hi-jacked a thread or two myself when carried away by enthusiasm. Being too rule bound can be stifling.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello!

The Maruba Nishiki has distinctly shaped oblique leaves that are not ridged, stiff, or twisted. The coloration is from green to bright yellow, not whitish, and not with multiple bands of color or variegation. The skin of the leaves is softer, not as "hard" feeling as 'Tricolor.' The stem is darker green, more akin to standard Jades, and does not have any "hairy" nodes, et cetera, which sometimes occur on the 'Tricolor' and the standard C. o. obliqua.

Josh

• ewwmayo
    8 years ago

Happy to see an answer to Marguerite's question. I was wondering the same thing. Wasn't sure if the yellowish colour was just due to sun/cultivar, but now I know. =)

Not disappointed in my purchase at all - this is my first variegated jade and one day I'll maybe get my own 'forest'!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Eww, your new plants are lovely, quite bright examples of their variety. Some tend to have a lot more green and are duller looking. Though I find them all beautiful.

Many thanks, Josh, for the explanation. Now I think I will know a Maruba if I come across one. When it's just a question of colour, it's hard to distinguish among the variegates.

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Marguerite, I am guilty of that as well. It seems most people do not really mind, I just don't feel like this is the place to post occasional updates about their own plants. I would love to see a thread from plantcollector as well.

I would also add that the 'Tricolor' often appears sort of a milky, or dull, color. The Maruba Nishiki is brighter with more vibrant colors that vary depending on the time of year, mostly due to sun exposure. In the summer the leaves completely color out losing most of the green and in the winter they turn almost completely back to green. It is my understanding that there is also a variegated Maruba Nishiki that keeps some of the green all year round.

-Erica

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

I suppose I felt that since it was Josh's thread, he might think one of us was hi-jacking it too to admonish one of the forum's contributors. Though perhaps he doesn't give a rat's pyjamas. There are so many rules and regulations in 'real' life, that the forum here can be a welcome and peaceful refuge. This is one of my favourite threads of all time on Cacti & Succulents, and it's great that someone brings us back occasionally for another look. Now more updates from Josh's jade forest will really be something to look forward to.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Marguerite!
    I don't mind the sharing and comparing of certain pics, but I do agree that I prefer specialized Threads that follow grower's progress with their plants. It helps keep things more organized.

My Jades, all separated into their own pots, are growing well. My 'Red Horn Tree' was utterly toasted by the sun, and so I've been waiting for new growth to come in so that it doesn't look so awful!!! 'Legolas' has scarcely grown, but that's not much of a surprise with this variety. The Lancaster variegated and the Maruba Nishiki are doing fantastic, although the Maruba is / seems more prone to edema. That said, it is not only branching but is also putting out two new branches lower down the trunk.

Josh

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update josh (: . I have started my own discussion on my garden plants here, the title name is : my garden plants .

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting