Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Jade Forest (pics)

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 15:23

Let the New Year root-down commence!

This succulent project began last month when I received these most excellent cuttings.
I immediately set to work assembling a mix of screened Fir bark and assorted grit - Turface,
Pumice, Scoria, Perlite, and quartzite. Then I filled the long bonsai planter that I used to root
my last Jade Forest, arranged the cuttings, added a bit more mix to situate the cuttings.

After nearly a month of patience, I assumed the cuttings had sent out roots and were ready
for some moisture. So I gently lifted each cutting, then replaced in the container, and watered
to wet the roots and settle the mix. With a porous, loose mix one can check on cuttings without
worrying about damaging roots. Yet another advantage of a superior potting mix.

But enough talk! On with the pics, yes? ;-)

Here's the starting material. If I've mislabeled these, please let me know.
And if you're interested in the fine finger Jade 'Legolas,' talk to Gmaculata for details.

Photobucket

Contemplating the layout for the cuttings:

Photobucket

A close up shot of the motley mix:

Photobucket

Cuttings situated and ready to put down roots:

Photobucket

A couple weeks later, on a sunny window-sill:

Photobucket

And then the proof in the puddin' -
'Maruba Nishiki'

Photobucket

Lancaster variegated

Photobucket

'Legolas'

Photobucket

'Red Horn Tree' with lots of root activity!

Photobucket

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Jade Forest (pics)

Josh

Love the collection (especially 'Legolas').

Great roots, and in such a short time - for some reason I thought that variegates are little more difficult to root...
Your mix looks great too (besides being well-draining; are you mixing it in more or less equal parts?) - plants look so much better in 'nice-looking' mix.

Hope to see follow-up photos as they grow bigger.
Nice planter too.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 16:06

o

Great cuttings, and excellent work, Josh! Keep us updated on their progress.

Christopher

o

Happy New Year Josh,

Nice looking Jades, I have many but none of the variegated type, It always seems like we have everything until someone posts their collection.

Well I see whats on my list for this year.

Greg

o

Very nice job, Josh. The pictures add so much to your excitement - well done.

There's an old family nursery close by that has a boat load (okay, maybe, six - twelve) mature-ish common(?) var Jades. Guess I better to have another look.

If I remember correctly they could be "Lancaster". Are these easy to identify just by appearance?
Gail

o

Love that 'Legolas', too....and nice, crunchy soil mix!

T

o

Gorgeous! Lucky duck. Love that variegation.

o

New Years Resolution: Find Variegated Jades. Last years was variegated eureka lemon, and check.

o

Great job Josh!! Rooting Jades is NO easy task for me( nearly impossible actually ) here in very humid FL...so my hat's off to you! Looking forward to updates for sure!

o

Josh! Extremely remarkable!

I knew you could do it pal! The key was to get them to you as plump and at their peek growth.
I am sure they will be in good hands buddy!

I love how the 'Legolas' held on to it's white color without shriveling up. Oh, they look so full and healthy.

Pretty soon I will be cutting some more before I put them out for the spring.

Thank you for sharing with us. I am so excited to see they all made it for a great guy!

You know what I love about these? That all with retain their coloring right through the winter. All the main plants are as birght and vivid as the day I brought them in. Talk about bright plants at a most dismal time of the year. And, they will grow fast for you!

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 11:28

o

Mike, maybe in the spring, I could trouble you for a couple of cuttings. I might drive up to see if you if possible.

--Your Stalker

o

Thanks, Rina!
I think these variegates have enough green to make rooting easy.
Attempting to root variegated leaves, particularly mostly white ones, is very difficult.
I stuck a few leaves, as well, and the 'Red Horn Tree' leaf shriveled up within a few days.

The mix was not measured, just eye-balled this time - I took some rain-soaked recycled mix
of Fir bark, perlite, and white pumice, and added some dry Scoria, Turface, and fresh bark until
I'd evened the moisture out and had a balance of large and small particles.

Christopher, thanks sir! I will surely update with the success or failure of this planting.

Happy New Year, Greg! It's good to see you :-)
Indeed, I've been lusting after the 'Red Horn Tree' and the 'Maruba Nishiki' for a couple years now,
but the specimen from Lancaster Gardens and the 'Legolas' I learned about within the last year or so.

Monet, if you can post a picture it would be great.
There are quite a few variegated Jades - beside the 'Tricolor' that is common -
and I find them difficult to distinguish sometimes. The Lancaster cutting may have a proper name
already, but I surely don't know it - so I'm simply calling it by the nursery whence it came.

Mister Tom Termine, thanks! I love a crunchy mix that snaps, crackles, pops, and smells
like volcanic dust when watered ;-) Glen's 'Legolas' is a beauty...I hope he's propagating more!

Colleen, I feel very, very lucky! I don't particularly fancy the typical variegated Jade,
but who can resist these uniquely variegated Jades?! ;-)

Irrelephant, get you some variegated Jades! :-D
When I saw the variegated Pink Eureka Lemon, I had to have one. Mike helped encourage me, too.

Hey, Nancy, thanks for stopping by! I think we ought to have an "underground root-road"
where folks in northern States root cuttings and then send them south to you ;-)

Mike, none of this would be possible without you, buddy.
The cuttings were plump, well-packaged, and great-sized for rooting. Thank you so much.
I didn't mist or water during the process, so they are somewhat dehydrated, but that's all
going to change now that the roots are biting into the mix and able to take up moisture again.
As always, it will be an exciting experiment to see how the colors hold up/intensify in my climate.

Laura, if you do go up to stalk Mike, a bottle of wine will loosen him up ;-)

Josh

o

Thanks for the tip, Josh. He might find me hiding behind a bench in his greenhouse, perfectly still, holding an orchid in front of my face.

o

Hahaha, if you can find room to hide in Mike's greenhouse, I'll be amazed! :-)
Be careful, though...if he doesn't notice you, you might get watered and fertilized.

Josh

o

Josh,

Thanks for the detailed description of your process. I'll have to make use of it myself! :)

And lovely specimens - I love variegates on jades!

*CG*

o

Thanks, CG, I'm glad you liked it! :-)

Josh

o

Hey Josh...LOVE your great idea...might have to work on that :o)

o

Josh, in your close-up of your mix, I've circled some brown porous material. What is it? Since you live in CA, I am assuming you probably get your Pumice and Scoria, locally, yes? If not, do you have a source? Thanks

Howard

o

Hey, Howard!
You are correct, I buy my materials at a local nursery in Auburn.
The circled material is Scoria, red lava rock. This is an E.B. Stone product
sold in small bags as "volcanic pumice," and comes in white, grey, and red/brown.
It should be available throughout the state. It's one of my favorite ingredients.

Josh

o

Hi !
Beautiful plants.

Just one question about C.o.'Maruba Nishiki' : do you have a reliable source about the cross C. o. 'Obliqua' X C.o.'Hummel's Sunset' ?

Thank you very much.

Laurent

o

Laurent, thanks!
I do not have a reliable source on the cross information.
It is something that I read in association with this plant when first shown by Ben.
It is "thought to be" a cross between obliqua and 'Hummel's Sunset,' is what I read.
Whenever I receive more thorough information, I will update all my notes and images :-)

Thank you!

Josh

o

Thank you very much Josh !

Laurent

o

Wonderful weather we're having, and I thought I'd update on the small forest of cuttings. New growth and increased vibrance and color now that Spring is near. I have this container in some partial shade on the back deck.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Looks great, Josh! Good job. Just love the variegated Jades.

Here is a pic of a cutting of a cutting of Mike's Jade, in a south facing window.

Christopher

o

Thanks, Christopher!

I'll snap a pic of two other variegates from Mike tomorrow. I also have mine in a south window, and they sure do get thirsty with the sun light and the warmth. Nice to see the return of the red margins. This season, I'm going to fertilize more heavily...everyone's cuttings or plants from Mike seem to be growing faster than mine!!! Time to change things up ;-)

Josh

o

I missed this post first time around so glad I was able to see it now. They look great!!! Good luck with all of them......you will have a full-size variegated forest in no time!

o

Hey, thanks, Woodnative! I can't wait to get them outdoors full-time :-)

Josh

o

Very NICE Josh. You make rooting Jades seem so effortless,lol...wish it was that easy for me :o)

Great Job with them, thanks for the update!

o

Great job, Josh! Looks beautiful.

o

Josh, how are they looking now with the sun in your area getting hotter and hotter while the temps are still cool?

You are doing a great job buddy!

Mike

o

So where are those pictures, Josh?

I just took this yesterday of the most common variegated Jade alongside a cutting of a cutting of Mike's Jade for comparison...

Christopher

o

Hi Josh...love your new jades...good growing....linda

o

Hey, Nancy, Greta, Mike, Christopher, and Linda!
I'm sorry for my delay, and thanks for reminding me Chris to snap some more pics of the other variegates I have. I completely forgot! I have some time this afternoon to take pics, and I'll upload later tonight.

Josh

o

Good morning!
Another progress pic, and this time I've included two other variegates from Mike - up top, middle and right, are cuttings from Mike's well-traveled mother plant. Top-left, a different variegate entirely, with more yellow and white leaves, as well as some grey-blue coloration. Now that I see the pic in the message, I realize I'll need to take some additional close-up pics.

Josh

o

Josh, these looks so fresh and gorgeous!
I have one variegated jade that I just potted into gritty mix and it's happily lounging on the southern balcony.

What is that tall one of the far right? I want it! :-)

o

Hey, thank you :-)
The tall one on the right in the round pot is a cutting from Mike's un-named variegated mother Jade - if I recall, he got a piece from a dentist friend several years ago (eh, Mike?). This cutting had a cool curve in the trunk, and I've tried to grow it a bit more "bonsai."

I'd like to see a pic of your re-potted Jade.

Josh

o

A nice group shot of some very nice plants, Josh.

So how is the weather your way? Looks nice and green, from the photo. Here we might have another snowstorm heading this way tomorrow, so tired of it.

Christopher

o

Hi Josh!

Here's my only variegated Jade.
Variegated Jade Plant

In hindsight, the pot's entirely too big but it's what I had. I can't make up my mind with this one, whether to put it outside or inside so it's traveled back and forth, haha.

Variegated Jade

Do you have all of yours outside?
It's hitting 70 these days and lows of 50s overnight, give or take 2 degrees....and I can't make up my mind which situation is more ideal for the thing. I used to have a regular crassula in the light shade by the front door for several years that did really well, but I was always curious about having one indoors.

Love how that one has a nice trunk when it's still small. I wonder if I can train mine to trunk by pulling off leaves, haha.

o

Hi, Grace!
I think a lot of us are doing the plant shuffle this time of year ;-)
I've been taking plants out every day that I can, and bringing them in at night - today we hit 78F; yet tonight will drop to the upper 30F's. It's a lot of work, but also a great way for the plants to regain some of the vitality lost over the Winter. Be careful not to burn your plants with too much sun too soon, though.

I had a few out on the table yesterday...

o

Wowwwww nice beautiful "Legolas" lucky you. :) willing to share a leaf lol

G/l

o

Thanks ;-)
I think Glen (gmaculata) is propagating some 'Legolas'...at least I hope he is. I already failed to root a leaf - granted, it was an all-white leaf. I think this one will have a much higher strike rate if started from cutting. Full disclosure: there's a list as long as my arm of folks who've requested pieces of 'Legolas.'

Josh

o

Yeah I can only imagine an all white leaf being impossible lol

And I sure that lost will grow such a beautiful specimen that I hope I can add to the collection one day any how great progress and g/l

o

My mother plant has been cut so many times she needs a rest. I have tried from leaf cuttings and have only gotten one out of about 60 leaves to have any variegated markings. The leaf will want to root out of the tissue that has the chlorophyll and therefor is not likely to pass the variegation to the offspring. It is not a super fast grower but it is not a wimpy plant and has survived my cool damp greenhouse with no problems. To those that I have shared the plant with all I ask is that you only pass along the cuttings that have the traits such as you got it from me. Thanks!

o

You got it, Glen :-)

Any chance we could see a picture of the mother plant?

Josh

o

Pug, you are so right! They are an impossible plant in the humidity. And they do not seem too fond of a/c either. It's kind of funny that people in Canada have better luck with them.

Ya'll keep me amused you are so passionate about these little guys.
Tally HO!

o

Pug sure grows them well, though. And they even bloom for her.

Glad you're amused, though.

Josh

o

I gave up on them years ago. There is one on the backporch that came in a dish garden and is struggling. I don`t think they are really fond of salt air either. I know a lot of people in the drier parts of Texas grow them.

I`m easily amused what can I say.
Tally HO!

o

These grow a stone's throw from the ocean in Monterey, California. I remember, I was amazed to see large 'Hummel's Sunsets' growing in front yards.

Josh

o

Happy Easter! Here's an update on the cuttings. The first of the Maruba Nishiki leaves is sending up a plantlet. We'll see if the traits hold.

o

And a full shot....

o

Thanks for the update Josh. I wish I could get my hands on some of those varieties!

Nancy, what kind of jades do you have?

o

Love this thread! I fell in love with the Jade plant last Fall. I've used some of the tips I've read on some of y'alls Jade threads, and it has really helped! Great photos though. Really inspiring.

o

Thanks, Allan! I just saw your Jades, too, and they're lookin' compact and healthy.

Josh

o

It is because of tips I have seen you and others post in these threads!

o

I'm beginning to see some color finally!

photo DSCN2716.jpg  photo DSCN2715.jpg  photo DSCN2712.jpg

Josh

o

I've said it before... so gorgeous, Josh! I admire your plants and your talent! :)

o

Very awesome greenman28! I hope to add some of those varieties to my collection some day. Keep up with the pictures they are looking great!

o

Greta and American, thank you both!
I will take some new pictures very soon.

Josh

o

Your jades never disappoint Josh ;-) I love your collection

o

Thanks, Jessie, so kind!

We are entering that time of year, however, when the 'Hummel's Sunset' and other pale-leafed Jades get browned margins. I'll be moving them into some partial shade.

Josh

o

'Red Horn Tree' update pic...

photo DSCN2809.jpg

Josh

o

Looking good greenman!

o

greenman or anyone, do you use a special ceramic drill on those delicate-looking pots for drainage holes?
Pat

o

Hello.
All my pots came with drainage holes, so I'm lucky that I haven't had to do much drilling.

Josh

o

Josh...Dang they are all looking so good!

Mine are just starting to get much larger now...It's been a strange growing season to say the least.

I'll be posting the mother plants very soon pal..Should I post them here? They do have something in common..lol

Mine are coloring up very well...It's been cool here at night for a month now, cooler than normal and hot sun by day!+
I just transplanted the Red Horn Tree and the Maruba Nishuki into larger pots since the roots out grew the smaller ones and dried out almost every day..

Have a great night buddy!

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 19:32

Hello all! I just wanted to say those variegated jades look amazing!

o

Hey, guys!
It's hot and smoky here...wildfires burning throughout northern California. But we're surviving somehow ;-)

My variegates have really gotten sunblasted this Summer, and the birds pecked out two of the 'Maruba Nishiki' plantlets, along with some grit...so I'm bummed about those. Mike, I need to pot these into their own containers, too...I think they'll do much better.

Please post some pics, Mike, I would love to see the parent plants :-)

Josh

o

Have they been fertiized Obviously good sun but they could have put out more growth over summer. However, that is only to speed growth. Thanks forcthe updated pic.

o

Very, very little fertilizer...hot roots, too.
Time to re-pot them and treat them to more nutrients.

Josh

o

Josh, can we see the side shot or better yet several side shots of that big asymmetrical wavy pot? It looks interesting - almost as gorgeous as the Jades themselves.

Is it an actual planter or originally sold as something else? I am exploring using something funky like a fruit basket or a low/wide vase or a salad mixing bowl as a planter as long as I can drill a hole in whatever material it's made of.

o

Good morning!
I'd be glad to get some pics....I'll go out directly.
Yes, this is an actual bonsai pot with feet and two nice drainage holes. Twice now I've used it to propagate Jades, but I think it's too shallow for full Summer sun. This season my plants have gotten cooked! :-)

I've seen some very cool pots created from various ceramic and clay objects, baskets, coffee cups, et cetera. As long as the paint/glaze/material isn't toxic, you're good to go.

Be back shortly...

Josh

o

Here's a first pic...it's raining again, so I'll have to snap some other pics when the sky clears.

o

looks really nice!

o

Any updates? ?

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 12:58

Yeah, Josh...hope it stopped to rain - and before the snow! (but you lucky probably don't get any)...just joking.
It's a 'pick-me-up' to see such a nice plants!

Rina

o

Thanks for the continued interest! I'm having trouble with my computer lately, but I will update as soon as I can. These Jades are indoors now, and looking good.

Josh

o

Alright...an indoor update pic.
The plants are still growing, putting on size....and the Maruba Nishiki is even beginning to branch at the top! I couldn't be happier. The leaves that I propagated from the Lancaster variegated have turned out to be regular green Jades, so I will pull them at my first convenience.

Josh

o

Awsome thanks for the update lucky u g/l with them

Keep us posted

o

Oh, looking GREAT!

o

Very nice, Josh.
They are visibly bigger, great color and so healthy looking.
Thank you for brightening my day...(even if it's bright enough with some snow we had last night! And it got cold, around 12F, and forecasted only in low 20 for today...it looks like a long winter ahead).

Rina

o

Josh.....great looking jades where did you fine them...
there are never anything like that at any of the places I go...
good growing....enjoy and thanks for posting....linda

o

Quite the color fall foliage I see going on there and getting bigger too..Great work Josh..I knew they would be in safe hands !

Thanks for keeping updating us pal.

Mike:-)

o

Hey, everyone! Thank you very much...I'm enjoying these Jades immensely. Now that I've been watering and fertilizing them a little more regularly, they are growing well.

Linda, I received these cuttings from Mike (thanks, Mike!).This way, if Mike ever loses a plant, he'll have a back up here in California :-)

Josh

o

Good growth this Spring so far!
I'll try to get some good color without the leaves paling and turning brown at the edges. I've kept this pot in partial sun only and haven't left it out to the chilly and dewy nights.

Josh

o

Josh

The forest is looking great! Very 'fresh' green, nice variegation, and they look really succulent.
So what's the plan to achieve what you describe - keeping them in partial sun?
Rina

o

Thanks, Rina.
Yes, partial sun until they're fully acclimated, and then protection from the hottest sun of the day after that. Also, I need to fertilize more regularly this season....last season, they really paled out.

Josh

o

Very nice!

It's exacting that Spring is beginning to show. I miss seeing everyone's jades' updates.

o

Josh,
I read somewhere that strong fertilizer and bright sun will reverse variegation and plant will become green again. So if possible, watch carefully to see what effects it has on your plants.
Stush

o

Hello!
Stush, I'll keep a close eye on the plants. Typically, the sun bleaches out the plants, resulting in mostly yellowy leaves where the variegation is difficult to see. I have seen 'Hummel's Sunset' Jades with very little coloration on a high Nitrogen diet.

Josh

o

Looking really good Josh...thanks for the update!

Did you have to drill holes on the cool pot or was it already pre-drilled? It ooks great in that pot/container :o)

o

Thanks, Nancy! This bonsai pot came with holes, thankfully :-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here