Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

My Adenium obesum pods exploded!

I've been waiting for months... and I mean months for these guys to mature. Earlier today I was out in the greenhouse and nothing. This afternoon two pods had opened! As you can see, I have several more still to mature. Now what? Well, the obvious, plant them up but my greenhouse is usually in the low 60's at night and not much more than 68 ~ 70 during the day. I'm going to give it a shot... keep posted!

{{gwi:473319}}

{{gwi:473321}}

Comments (18)

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Did you pollinate or did Mother Nature take care of it for you? I have a couple of adenium obesum that I grow outside during the summer and they have never developed a seed pod.
    Beverly

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Beverly, Mother Nature must have done her due because it wasn't me.... not this time!

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Congrats Bikerdoc....you have better chance if you plant these seeds in the warmer months. They still fresh from now until April of 2012. It is harder to take care of baby plants when they are little, because they don't like the cold. Good luck anyway, if you decided to plant them now.
    Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Bikerdoc..How lovely to get seeds on your own plant, congrats! I will settle for a flower. Can I ask you...

What colour is it?

Do you get a lot of seeds per pod?

Have you got another/more DR's or is it self pollinated?

I've seen the odd pic of Adenium seeds on here before, and grow my own plants from seed, but on looking at your pic, does one seed have a 'tuft' at each end? Or is it a double seed, like end to end, with each seed having just one 'tuft' as all the seeds I have bought have always arrived 'tuftless'.

Sorry for all the ??'s but I'm still trying to learn more about these beauties!

Gill from the UK.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Gill, never too many questions. The pictures of the plant in flower were taken this past summer. I only have the one plant and since I had no hand in its pollination, I assume my friendly insects did the job! I do not know for sure but do not think they are self-pollinating. From what I've read when you sow the seed, you remove the filaments on each end and soak the seed for two to four hours prior to planting. I'm just not sure what media to plant them in. I plan on ordering more seed of different varieties this spring from Taiwan.

Where in the UK are you located?

{{gwi:473322}}

{{gwi:473323}}

{{gwi:473324}}

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Hi there, its me again! Thanks for the further pics, they are really good and clearly show the one seed with tufts at each end...amazing detail so thanks for the clarification! The other pics of your plant in flower make me even more determined to succeed in getting one of mine to flower. My experiments with DR's all started when we saw one in flower in the gardens of the Royal Palace in Bangkok in 2005...now I'm hooked! Your plants exposed roots are a really interesting shape too. Seems like the insects found another DR in the area if self pollination wasn't an option...it will be interesting to follow the progress of your seedlings and see what they look like. As you could end up with a fantastic previously unseen colour combo there I see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!

When I've germinated my seeds I've used a non peaty mix made up of a bought cactus mix, perlite and small grade horticultural grit. However, it has more of the cactus mix than in the media that the older plants grow in so as not to be so fast draining whilst they germinate. As you rightly say, de-tuft and soak them lightly. Some do need encouraging to sink and need prodding back under the water, but occasionally one will not be viable and refuses to go under! Then plant just under the surface of the media. Keep them warm and constantly moist till they pop. I've had them germinate in 5 days from sowing. Just don't let them dry out, but don't drown them either, it's a delicate blancing act I can tell you! I unfortunately have a tendancy to boil mine to death as we have such a short growing season here in the UK for starting such plants so I have to start them really early and have to rely on the boiler cupboard or heated propagator. I grow them on till they have a few sets of leaves then they get potted into the faster draining mix which is 33% cactus, 33% perlite and 33% grit. I currently have 11 in various stages of growth including 4 arabicum seedlings.

You asked where I am located... in the Midlands actually, a very rural area called the Staffordshire Moorlands to narrow it down further. It's a small hilltop village of around 100 houses, 1 pub, 1 church and 1 chapel, now unforunately with no school, shop or petrol station, but it has got 11 adeniums and a nutty woman who grows them!
    Hope the above may be of help.
    Regards, Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Hi again Bikerdoc, just wondered if you had got round to planting any of your home grown seeds yet? The posts have been flying off the first page at a very fast rate of knots just lately haven't they? Nice to see so many threads up and running as it makes it far more interesting, some of the other forums are so slow so keep on postin' folks!
    Gill from the UK.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Gill,

Nice to hear from you. Yes, the posts have been in high gear! I planted about 16 seeds and sent out all of the rest to people who asked for them. I have a new pod opened currently with larger seeds and two more ready to pop! So far (4 days) the sown seed have not germinated but my greenhouse is a bit cool for them so we will see. Thanks again.

• paul_
    12 years ago

Don't forget, if you need them, I have heat pads available.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Bikerdoc, if the g/h is not warm enough I would be very tempted to bring them inside. Lots of places should be warm enough, top of the PC, TV or fridge for eg. Not sure if you have your c/heating on but it would be a shame to loose them to the cold, they may struggle pop without some heat. Good luck! Keep us posted on how they do please?
    Gill from the UK.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just to play catch-up, here is a picture of my plant today. As you can see two more pods have opened with one more waiting in the wings! Got lots of seed and can't use all of them, so if you have a warm (70F or better) to grow them, my email is: LASSERH@HOTMAIL.COM

I planted several this past Monday and even in my cool greenhouse (64F nights/68F ~ 70F days) several have germinated.

{{gwi:473325}}

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    12 years ago

Bikerdoc
    I sent you a e-mail
    Sharon

• Avista
    9 years ago

3 pair of fully grown horns on my adenium. And it seems another little horn is going 2 grow. Shall i cut off the another new growing horn like pods.?? I got too many seeds. If i cut i feel like the plant will give more flower than spending its energy and nourishment for the seed pods. what shall i do..?? Shall d pods be made 2 grow..or shall i cut off..before it grows big..??!!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

certainly, it's your call. If you have six pods that have opened, you have more than enough seed. Keep in mind many of those seed will not produce plants. I use only the largest seed, discarding all the others. Next, depending on WHAT you plant them in, you may lose more to dampening off. In any event, congrats and good growing.

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

That's good to know Howard. I had been given some seeds last year and none of them germinated. I was so bummed :(

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Camellia, keep in touch next summer. If my Adenium goes to seed, you'll have an ample supply to try to grow your own, again.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Howard how are the Adeniums?

do you still have these seedlings?