Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
succulent? please help!!

Posted by ssams808 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 15:39

Hello everyone! I just joined this site after searching the web in concern of my plant... my mom bought me this around Christmas time from a Korean restaurant, the lady only told her that its easy to care for and likes alot of light. Being a gift from my mom and the price made me want to take care of it exceptionally well!! So the blooms look like tiny orchids and the plant itself is fat and bulby at the bottom so I guessed it is some type of succulent, can anyone confirm this? Also maybe the name of it would be great too!! I have only watered it twice using a shot glass of warm water. In the last few days all of the blooms have dropped off and the bulby bottom area is looking kind of like a prune, like its shriveling :( Im not sure if it needs more or less water or how to care for it. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: succulent? please help!!

Kind of hard for me to tell what the flowers look like as they blend right into the wall.Could you hold something dark behind the flowers so the picture of them shows up better.I kind of think it's an orchid of some kind though.
Kathi

o

• Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 17:12

An orchid in flower. Congratulations. Yale

o

This is an Oncidium orchid, I have one myself. This type likes a lot of light. The bulb is shriveling either because it is too dry, or it has received too much water in the past, and the roots are dead. Only way to tell is to check the roots. If they are viable, I would water it thoroughly and see how the plant responds.

For more specific advice, check the Orchid Forum.

Christopher

o

Thanks everyone for your help! I searched the orchid name Christopher mentioned and got some great plant care tips. It did mention that the shriveled bulbs indicates not enough water so I will give that a try...here is the link if anyone else is interested :) http://www.proplants.com/guide/oncidium-orchid-care-guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here