Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Hello Everyone,

I have had this in some of my C&S containers and found that it grows everywhere... I'm still finding it in every crack in my greenhouse... Can't you please identify so I can tell a friend what this is?

The main container is now gone but it still grows in every corner and then some in the greenhouse.. Ugh!!

Thank you in advance!!!

Laura

Comments (18)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Hi Laura,

That's one of the Mother-of-Millions clan, Bryophyllum nee Kalanchoe, maybe B. diagramontiana, unless it's been renamed. It's annoyingly invasive, but it does make pretty, long-lasting flowers.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jeff!

Thank you so much.. I have another plant that has bloomed and it is called a Hawaiian Air Plant that might be in the same kalanchoe family{{gwi:807}}?

We were just wondering about this one and I googled it .. It makes people think it should be a real air plant and not one that should be planted in soil..

Mine is doing well in a well draining mix, so thank you!!

Here is a picture of this one blooming..

Have a great New year!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 19:37

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeff.. I guess it is from the same family?

Pic from google...

Thanks!!

Laura

9 years ago

Laura,

This subset of the Kalanchoe family is characterized by their pendulous flowers and plantlets forming on the edge of the leaves. I can't say I've seen your flowers before on a Kalanchoe/Bryophyllym - could you show us a picture of the plant?

• ehuns27 7a PA
    9 years ago

I'm fairly positive this is Kalanchoe tubiflora (Maternity plant). They spread easily when the pups that grow on the larger leaves fall off and root wherever they end up.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jeff,

Here is a picture of my plant. It did have lots of littles ones around the main container this summer, but I never saw signs of seeds until this sprouted in the greenhouse...

Someone asked about the Hawaiian Air Plant and that it was supposed to have a purple hue. So I googled the mentioned plant and it sure looked like mine but mine is plain green. I wondering if it is because of it blooming this late in the season and doesn't have the same color like some flowers blooming late in winter? I know that my Plumeria blooming in winter will not have the true coloration like they would have in the hot summer months.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Laura

Original Author
    9 years ago

The whole container in the greenhouse.

Laura

Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture from google. " Hawaiian Air Plant"

Thanks!!!

Laura

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

The plant in the first photo is Kalanchoe x houghtonii. The other plant is Kalanchoe pinnata...as you surmised (using its common name). :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!!!

I do appreciate your help!! Rosemariero...

Have a great day!!!

Laura

9 years ago

Laura,

What she said. But I wanted to mention that now that you have this one, you should grow B. / K. gastonis-bonnieri - that's a sweetie.

Original Author
    9 years ago

That sure is a beauty, Jeff.

Looks like something that I would really enjoy!!!!
    I will look into this as soon as the weather warms up so I can purchase one!!

Thank you for the advise.. I.will post when I have some blooms or when I receive it. I searched some places in California. We shall see...

Thanks again !

Laura

9 years ago

I'm pleased to help you fill in those pesky empty spots in your greenhouse. It really is my pleasure entirely.

• hablu
    9 years ago

One of the nicest is K. pumila (imho)
    greets Harry

• zzackey
    9 years ago

The "air plant" kalanchoe grew wild on one property I owned in Central Florida. It wasn't invasive. I really enjoyed seeing it bloom. I think it would have to be an indoor for the winter plant here. I'd love to have a few cuttings if you could spare them. I could trade you some rosemary cuttings for some.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

The "air plant" kalanchoe grew wild on one property I owned in Central Florida. It wasn't invasive. I really enjoyed seeing it bloom. I think it would have to be an indoor for the winter plant here. I'd love to have a few cuttings if you could spare them. I could trade you some rosemary cuttings for some.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeff, Thanks again so much!!!

Harry, quite beautiful. !!!

Zackey.. If you would like some of my little ones, I would be happy to share. Send me an email so I can get the info and send when the weather isn't so cold. Glad to help!!! :-)

Take care,

Laura

• shannonplant
    9 years ago

Hi Laura the plant is also called mother of thousands, flea plant, baby tears, alligator tears lol and trust me where ever the babies fall from the leaves they will sprout be it soil, carpet, anywhere there is a water source. I have saw them growing where there was no soil just drainage from the pot

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz