Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pls. clarify when "pot does have drainage at the bottom"

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 15:47

"pot does have drainage at the bottom"

Please explain what you mean by this phrase:

does it mean (1) there's a hole in the bottom (at least one)?

does it mean (2) pebbles or stones at the bottom (in the misguided hope this provides drainage, as used to be advised yrs. ago)?

I posed this in response to a specific question, but have caught myself asking myself this question at least 5 times in the last 2 wks when reading other peoples' posts. Frustrating when one is trying to help on a post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pls. clarify when "pot does have drainage at the bottom"

It's a vague phrase for which I'd ask for clarification also. You well know most don't consider a hole-less pot full of pebbles to have any kind of drainage, quite the opposite.

o

Civilians / new gardeners who haven't learned better think it does Purp, that's EXACTLY why & to whom I'm asking.

o

Might sound silly but would't the phrase. Drainage hole at the bottom of a pot be understood as. A pot with with one ( or more) holes at the bottom of a pot ?

o

Yes, I get drainage HOLE, but often that is not what they say, they just say drainage, w/ no mention of the hole, that's exactly why I ask.

o

I read it as the combined effect of the character of the soil and the pot combined. But I know it means different things to different people. To me it is all about how fast water moves through soil AND pot.

o

Asking folks to define it here won't put this knowledge in the heads/hands of anyone. I rarely am able to offer anything in the realm of advice without asking questions. Like you say, usually the facts needed to know what's going on are missing. When I ask for help, I usually get questions. Asking for help means you don't know what's going on, just the first step in trying to figure that out, so then a possibly appropriate solution can be suggested.

And if someone thinks they have 'good drainage' by about any definition by putting some rocks in the bottom of a pot with or without a hole, that should be discussed. Like, as an emergency, almost certainly the cause of any symptoms of distress.

o

UM... I would think that any container that has some type of outlet for water to drain out of would qualify wether the holes were on the bottom or the sides. Seems like most containers at nurseries have them on the sides.

Although most of my clay pots have them on the bottom which work fine.

Greg

o

I've not used rocks as a form of drainage but have used rocks to allow better water flow or movement.
I dont habbit asking for details regarding bottom drainage to anyone. Common sence to me is how a containerized root system would need some form of water movement and can usually benifit with some form of additional drainage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here