Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Jades

Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 21, 12 at 16:01

I wasn't sure if this would work in the middle of winter, but it did! The plants are in 2 inch pots.
The first one I believe is a compact form. These leaves are from a friends plant. They fell off, and that's why I tried to root it. Not sure the other one is gong to do any thing.
Photobucket
This one is a regular Jade. This one fell off and started to root in the pot with the mother plant.
Photobucket

Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Jades

Congratulations on your new "babies"! Isn't it so exciting to see those little roots grow on the leaves and then the anticipation waiting for the little leaves to develop. I am constantly amazed.
Beverly

o

Rob, do they get lots of light?

Congrats.

Mike

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 22, 12 at 18:43

Mike,
They sit in a west window. Until spring, that's the best I can do.
Bama,
There wasn't a lot of anticipation this time. I didn't expect much doing this in the winter. Thankfully, they seem to doing well.

o

this is what fascinates me most about gardening. the resilience to...how would you say it...to survive? to live? to reproduce? Nature is amazing. I have a similar leaf that fell off during a move, I found it randomly yesterday while making other adjustments. It fell behind a cabinet. I need a better camera to get a shot of it, but I was blown away with how quickly it developed and how many little leaves this ONE leaf produced. Amazing stuff.

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 19:31

The babies seem to be doing well. Here's one with growth from both plants.
Photobucket
In this one, I added another leaf I found, and both are growing here too.
Photobucket
I never really expected these to grow over the winter. With spring here, I can't wait to watch them grow!

Rob

o

It happens that Winter is prime growing time for Jades (Crassula ovata), they even bloom in Winter, Jan. & Feb. if I recall correctly.

o

Interesting all my jades do all their growing in the summer and bloom in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here