Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpaz_gw

New non-commercial web site

jpaz
10 years ago

I have just installed a new non-commercial web site Cultivating cacti of eastern Brazil (Arrojadoa, Micranthocereus, Coleocephalocereus, Discocactus, Melocactus, etc.) which includes Taxonomical & Cultivational Information, along with numerous pictures. I will be adding many other species in the next few weeks. I will appreciate any comments and observations.

Please substitute your own preferred taxonomic nomenclature

JP

This post was edited by jpaz on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 17:28

Comments (15)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

"Please substitute your own preferred taxonomic nomenclature" What do you mean by this?

Why not just upload your pics to Dave's?

• jpaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Please substitute your own preferred taxonomic nomenclature" What do you mean by this?

The taxonomy and nomenclature for several eastern Brazilian cacti genera (most notably Discocactus and Micranthocereus) has been, and still is, in a state of flux and sometimes quite controversial. The note is my way of acknowledging that fact.

Why not just upload your pics to Dave's?

I maintain all of my images on my own server in order to exercise copyright control. I will also be adding numerous notes relating to the pics on individual web pages.

JP

10 years ago

Plants are given new names when genetic testing is done, and over time, many have been discovered to be identical, in which case one of the names is relegated to synonym status. But there are no plants for which one can simply decide which name they prefer. Binomial nomenclature isn't something each person interprets as they desire, though it has become necessary to learn multiple names for plants as they go through changes. It might be better to say the names used are the most current to your knowledge, or something similar. Including other names by which the plant has been known would be very helpful too, and save viewers the effort of checking something you've already checked, or thinking it's a different plant from the other name they know.

Your pics are great, BTW! Added a couple to my wish list I didn't already know about. I love to be able to see all diff kinds of angles, times of year, sizes, etc... of a plant.

Phrases like this, "never fails to flower at Christmastime" detract from the reliability, IMO. Anecdotes about plants have little meaning to me without knowing the location of the experience. Many plants can behave very differently in diff locations, especially the blooms.

Spellcheck before you publish.

• jpaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried to make these web pages compatible with smart phones - they display OK for me using my Iphone Safari browser. If you have a smart phone, please check my pages and post your viewing experience here. Thank you.

JP

This post was edited by jpaz on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 10:34

• jpaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback purpleinopp.

JP

• jpaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have just added the very long named, but very beautiful, species Siccobaccatus (Micranthocereus - Austrocephalocereus) dolichospermaticus

JP

• jpaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have just added the very beautiful, and much in demand, species Uebelmannia pectinifera

JP

• jpaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coming up over the next several days will be more Micranthocereus, Discocactus, Uebelmannia, Arrojadoa, Melocactus, Pilosocereus, etc. pages ......... and greatly expanded notes for all species.

JP

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

James,

Yes, but let me know when you post Akersia, now that will really be impressive.

/finds hole to hide in

Tiffany,

You may not know how rare this experience being offered is- while your view above of nomenclature and culture is a little singular (and that's OK), you might also not have noticed that James is a master of these plants whatever they're called. Your multiple suggestions seem genuinely out of place here - it's not how nomenclature works, and they certainly weren't solicited, e.g. 'Spellcheck before you publish' .

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Because

{{gwi:474011}}

'It's not personal, it's strictly business'.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 22:28

10 years ago

If anyone's dreaming about C/S heaven, I guess that's it in that pic!

TY, Josh, you're right, I don't know who Jpaz is. I was responding to this solicitation, "I will appreciate any comments and observations." No offense or disrespect was intended, you know that's not my style. I most sincerely apologize if any was perceived and appreciate you letting me know my post(s) read that way, that's a fail.

I would appreciate any corrections to anything incorrect that I said about nomenclature. It's my goal to not say incorrect things, just to call plants by the correct names, according to the info out there about what the correct names are, and how they are sometimes changed. Very mysterious stuff. Without the most generous help you and others on this forum provide, this would be virtually impossible. Thanks for your comments.

- Tiffany

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Purple: FYI: Cactus McHarris is Jeff, not Josh; of this I am certain.

• jpaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Tiffany. You wrote:

.......... I don't know who Jpaz is ..........

I am a lover and grower of cactus & succulent plants, Tiffany - just like you.

I was responding to this solicitation, "I will appreciate any comments and observations'

That is correct.

No offense or disrespect was intended, you know that's not my style. I most sincerely apologize if any was perceived ..........

No offense taken, Tiffany, and no apologies necessary..

I would appreciate any corrections to anything incorrect that I said about nomenclature. It's my goal to not say incorrect things, just to call plants by the correct names, according to the info out there about what the correct names are, and how they are sometimes changed. Very mysterious stuff ..........

I like that last observation of yours, Tiffany, for many mysteries do seem to sometimes accompany the assignment of names in cactus (especially) and succulent taxonomy. The trouble is there is no central "clearing house" or authority to determine what is the official nomenclature to be universally adopted and used by the cactus & succulent community. Over the years I have seen so many classification systems (that often involved drastic name changes) - each with passionate advocates - come and go. Sometimes that advocacy has led to deep divisions (I particularly remember Britton & Rose versus Backeberg) among C&S enthusiasts, even in the same clubs. Rather sad I think. As for me, I adapt to the nomenclature being used by any fellow enthusiast I am conversing with - life is much simpler that way, besides, the plants don't care what we call them.

Leave it to Shakespeare:

"What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

BTW, Jeff is an old friend of mine

JP

10 years ago

JP, thank you. It's my pleasure to cyber-meet you properly. (Dyslexic mixup of Josh/Jeff again? Tricks to avoid don't always work.)

Your statement about nomenclature is eloquent. Many times I've faced the same issues, almost daily. Just yesterday, I spent half hour checking 8 sources to see if they all agreed about a synonym. The C/S plants aren't the only ones under-fire by plant renamers, not by a long shot. No matter what realm of plants, the renamers have visited. Usually one decides on a name by which one has more supposedly authoritative support, few names get all.

Opinions about this aside, except to say that I think sad is a gross understatement, I see we are all in the same struggle, and I appreciate your well-expressed explanation very much. The hoops this requires people to jump through are ridiculous. If trying to provide an ID, often a string of names is needed or you know someone will come along with one of the ones you left out, saying it's that instead. If you provide 'the newest' one to someone, it looks like you're on a mission to find wrong things to correct. If you're looking for info/pics, you have to find all of the names to search to get it all. I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

Much more pedestrian than Shakespeare, but to quote my DH:
    "These plants are all named Steve."

As someone much newer to this C/S scene, I say thank you for such generous sharing, of info and pics. Boring are the days when something new can't be found to learn.

There's nothing like a good friend to jump in there without being asked, you've got a good one in Jeff!

I look forward to more pics of plants I've never heard of and would probably never have a chance to see in person (vacationing notwithstanding.)
    - Tiffany

• jpaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today I uploaded a new page devoted to Micranthocereus streckeri and updated the Discocactus placentiformis page.

I won't post any more new additions or updates here - instead I will identify the pages as and on the Directory page.

JP
    Cultivating cacti of eastern Brazil (Extensive photo galleries)

This post was edited by jpaz on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 12:02