Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kedrostis africana babies

Posted by kaktuskris 6 NH (barharbor75@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 16:44

These germinated quickly...Anyone here familiar with this plant? It can develop a very nice caudex from what I have seen.

Christopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kedrostis africana babies

Chris, where did you get your seed. It does look like it gets a huge caudex from the references below.

Howard

http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/ked-afr-sub.asp

http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/ked-afs-sub.asp

o

Howard,

An acquaintance gave me the seed. I did do some online research, as this is not a common plant, also known as Baboon's Cucumber. Some plants had mighty fine caudexes, or is it caudices? I am hoping for some nice ones on these seedlings.

Christopher

o

Did you provide the seed with any special treatment? I have some seed it plan on sowing soon.

Mark

o

I did not treat these at all, germination within a week. Just kept it warm and covered with plastic until germination.

Christopher

o

Here is a photo of what a mature specimen listed, from the site Howard listed...

Christopher

o

Thanks for the info Christopher! I hope to get those started soon.

I hope I can get a plant as big as that one!

Mark

o

Update...Growing taller...

Christopher

o

Update...These babies are starting to put out tiny tendrils...

Christopher

This post was edited by kaktuskris on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 15:21

o

Beautiful!!

Great job, Christopher !!!

Laura

o

Thank you, my friend...These are new to me, not very common, saw some photos of gorgeous caudices on these babies...

All the best.

Christopher

o

Oh wow! They grow fast! My seedlings just sprouted a few days ago. I also have some Kedrostis leloja seedlings coming up.

Mark

o

Excellent job Chris.....I know theyw ill turn out great for you one day...Just time and patience along with your good care!

Keeping my fingers crossed for an early spring!

Mike

o

Thanks, looking forward to see how the caudex develops on thess.

Christopher

o

Here are my seedlings.. I finally uploaded the pic. I am starting to expose them to air. I hope to get some good growth this year.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here