Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael1846

hen and chick plant problem

michael1846
10 years ago

All my hen and chick plants are fine except for this one its weirdly shaped. It used to be normal but not now. What's wrong with it and how can I save it. (Please note I just watered it's not soggy)

Comments (13)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hard to tell. The pic would appear to be upside down.

Josh

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Is it indoors? It is winter so they probably are dormant. Which means water them every 2 or 3 weeks at the earliest.

I think thats not the problem still, its that its indoors. I have 2 small semps, a little smaller than urs, that look the same. I hardy water them. But all my semps outside in the -20c weather look very happy. Semps dont do well indoors it seems.

Still, Im not sure whats the real cause. Lets wait for a pro to answer :)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

When people say "hen & chicks", I think of Sempervivums. But Echeveria are sometimes called that as well. Your plant looks like an Echeveria to me, perhaps E. derenbergii (or 'Dondo', maybe). It is normal for the lower leaves to dry up. The soil you have it in, looks mostly organic. It would probably do better in something that would drain well. Even though it's winter (I see you're in zone 6--wherever that is), it still could use a bit of water. People who live in the same climate as you can chime in here as to how they care for plants.

Sempervivums are more hardy than Echeveria. I would give it as much sun as possible (or lights).

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have never had this happen I have some semps I think this was one once Opon a time but now it's deformed :( want to see the entire succulent aria?

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Yes, please show us more.

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my temp terrarium for the winter in the summer I'm going to pot these up or plant the harty ones in the ground.(more succulents I have are alo, jade, and a few sans)

• dirt_farmer
    10 years ago

The plant in the bottom right of the pic appears to be a cactus to me.

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it is a cactus

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Michael, you said you had other Sempervivum. Are they in this pic? A few of those look like Echeveria. Do they have any cilia (hairs) on the sides of the leaves?

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm i don't know I thought I only had 1 echeveria in this and the rest were semps stonecrop panda plant or aeonium

• dirt_farmer
    10 years ago

How did the cactus get into your terrarium?
    Was it a volunteer that came in the soil ?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Okay, I see all those plants you mention, but I'm thinking the ones you think are Sempervivum may be Echeveria as well. Maybe not. I would need to see closer pix of those to determine if so.

This is your temporary home for them for the winter, right? I think all would've done better in separate pots. I still think your 1st plant pictured needs a bit of water.

Are there hairs on the edges of the leaves of the ones you think are Semps?

• michael1846
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i agree they all needed to be in seperate pots but most of the plants i got on an impulse at different times so i stuck them in the terrarium like the cactus. i will get you a close up picture later k :)