Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celeste_jackson1792466

Ponytail Palm advice

Celeste
9 years ago

I bought a ponytail palm for my boyfriend thinking it would be an easy houseplant for him to take care of. However, when he watered it he let the water drip down the side of the trunk of the plant and within a week mold started to grow. What should we do? Take a cloth and just rub the mold off. Also, any other general tips for this plant are appreciated!

Comments (12)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I don't grow this plant, but many people have them outdoors here in SW Florida with the summer rains. So I can't believe that getting water on the trunk has caused the mold problem (if that's what you were thinking).

And I could be wrong, since it is a house plant. Someone will chime in with advice for you. In the mean time, use the search feature at the top right of this page. I am sure you will find a lot of good information there.

Good luck!

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Mold⦠or moss? Mold is odd, on any healthy plant. Must be super damp where it is. Not a plant you really want to keep damp. Still, if the caudex is nice and firm, likely it will not hurt anything.. but might want to clean it off.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes, if it is mold, clean it off. Perhaps a peroxide + water spritzing.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

So let me ask....Does the pot the plant is in have a hole in the bottom for drainage?

Christopher

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    9 years ago

hi cljcksn
    I'm not sure if this is what you are referring too.
    I've hade this plant for two years and the green does not hurt the plant in any way.

Richard

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

that looks like moss⦠is it, or mold?

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    9 years ago

HI lzrddr
    I'M not sure it has been there since I got it and has never grown or changed, plant is healthy and it does not seam to afect it in any way,

Richard

• Celeste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's really not kept in a damp place, it's inside for the winter & the heat makes everything pretty dry. It's not moss i think it's a black mold or maybe just discoloration. The pot does have drainage holes & it's kept in ports soil. The causes feels firm still, my biggest fear was rot but it seems fine. Here's a few pictures.

• Celeste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's like a dark patch that I'm assuming water ran down

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Nah, that'll be OK, though I hope you plan to repot it within the next month or so - it's ready for upgrading, and getting it repotted soon will allow its roots to take full value of the spring/summer, which is less than 70 days away says the calendar. I hope to put one of mine in the ground in May and see how well it grows.

• Celeste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah we rescued it from Home Depot, it's tilting really far sideways in those pictures but we've since repotted it

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    9 years ago

Jeff,
    I have 2 pony tail palms. I put one in the ground last summer, and it was noticeably bigger than it's potted counterpart.

To the OP, when the weather warms up, slowly acclimate it to the sun. It will thank you. The sun may also get rid of the black groth. It can handle temperature dips above freezing, so nights in the 40s or 50s won't be a problem. They don't like wet roots, so make sure you use a well draining soil, and don't water if it's going to be cool.

Rob

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio