Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To brighten winter spirits, your Dyckia pictures

Posted by teatree zone 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 17:20

I personally don't see many Dyckia around, and I've only come across one Dyckia in person (which I snatched up), and I know there are some lovely ones out there among individuals here. And I would love to encourage more sharing of Dyckia pictures. I'm just infatuated with the purples and, more so, the silver hues... I can simply share my one green Dyckia brevifolia.

-- Colleen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To brighten winter spirits, your Dyckia pictures

Dyckia 'Cherry Coke'

I almost bought one just like it at a bromeliad show, but at $25, I passed. The next week I snatched this up for $10. It has two pups sprouting underneath.

Not the best shot, but it's the only one I have.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

I've been curious about these plants. What are they? Are they a succulent?

~Erin~

o

Dyckia are in the Bromeliad family, but you'll see them pop up around here, here and there, usually to many compliments. :) Otherwise you can always search out the Bromeliad forum.

o
oh and--

ChemGardner, I adore that plant. I can only hope to run into a few $10 Dyckias in the spring.

o

I have several of these slow-growing compact silver-grey beauties. Most are potted alone, but one has been allowed to grow as a clump for about ten years now. From the central highlands of Brazil, they are among the few plants I allow inside for the winter. They are spectacular living sculpture:

Dyckia marnier-lapostollei

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Brad

o

Brad, those are spectacular. If I had my pick of any Dyckia, that'd probably be riiiiight up there on the list, if not the top dream pick.

o

Sweet plants. That first one doesn't even look like a brom. heh

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 16:39

Not the best photos of some of these to do them justice, but anyway gives you an idea of some of the hardier ones that do well in landscapes here in the SF Bay Area, a zone 9b situation. The ones in these photos include Dyckia 'Cactus Ranch Red' from San Marcos Growers, D. 'Morris Hobbs' from Suncrest Nursery, D. platyphylla and a couple of others. D. platyphylla is probably the most cold tender, but the others would probably all work just fine in zone 8b settings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Set of Dyckia's in the garden

o

Heres the one I've shown before..not much..

Photobucket

o

Paracelsus: Wow. Those Dyckia marnier-lapostollei are stunning! Another must-have going on my list - thank you so much for posting your photos!

*CG*

o

Beautiful, everyone. And FlowerPotTipper, I think yours definitely is more than not much. The color is lovely.

o

Paracelus, wow very nice I've never seen that one before it looks like it dwells in cold country.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here