Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likedigitsofpi

mold or fungus on cacti/succulent roots and soil? help!

likedigitsofpi
10 years ago

Short story: There is mold as pictured on some of my plant pots, soil, and root systems. It's spreading. What should I do to get rid of it?

Longer story: I've been a happy keeper of cacti and succulent plants for about fifteen years. In the past two years, one of my gollum jades has had small fuzzy balls of mold on the bottom of the pot, the dirt, and even clinging to the roots. I let it dry out, not watering it for months, but whenever I would start watering again, the mold would proliferate. I repotted in a clean pot and soil, washing the roots in water, but the mold returned. I eventually threw out the jade and grew a few new ones from cuttings of that plant.

Now other plants have the same mold problem. One of the affected cacti fell over the other day where the base had rotted! I am growing them all in some kind of generic "cacti & succulent" potting soil heavily amended with perlite. I water when they're dry, maybe about once a week varying seasonally. I read some posts from Tapla/Al about water in soil (example: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0914024623640.html) and am convinced I've been doing it all wrong. I want to repot them all but don't know where to find the materials he recommends. Also, I'm very worried about the mold spreading -- repotting does nothing to eradicate it. Should I use a fungicide? Which one?

I really appreciate your help -- I have about 50 cacti and succulents in my room and don't want to lose them!

This post was edited by likedigitsofpi on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 18:17

Comments (19)

• likedigitsofpi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dzitmoidonc, thank you so much! It's hard to believe these inert things are bugs, but the pictures online look just like my problem. Treating with Bayer's Tree & Shrub. We'll see what happens.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I was checking the bottoms of my pots as I moved them back into the sun this morning. The bottom of one Aloe vera pot had the same little gray "pebbles" clinging around the drainage holes. I remembered this thread and now I know what to do!

I have 3 Aloe vera plants, and this one has never thrived like the others. Now I know why. And yes - he has been isolated from my other plants for now.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I finally got a picture of the bottom of my pot. I haven't unpotted to see what is going on with the roots, but the plant really doesn't look all that bad. Just not as healthy as the other Aloe vera.

I am seriously considering pitching the plant and the potting mix. You can buy an Aloe vera everywhere down here for about 3-5 bucks. My biggest concern is the other plants in the same area. I have about 40 pots on the same surface. This one has been removed, but how can I tell if the others have been infected? Should I do a preventative treatment on the others? What do you recommend that I use? These plants are destined to be PIG out front. I don't want to spread the root mealies to my other plants.

Thanks!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Crenda,

I've had something similar in my outdoor potted plants. I think it was the soil because every plant that experienced this "anomaly" was potted in the same soil. I was using Miracle Gro, but that may not be what you are using. What soil are you using?

I'd say just remove all the soil, rinse the roots real well, and plant your Aloe in another type of soil. If it comes back, then chunk it. If it is indeed soil related, I'd think rinsing the roots real well and removing that soil will keep it from returning. At least, that's how it worked for me. I bought Sta Green (mind you, these were outdoor garden plants potted in containers, not succulents) and I didn't have that issue again. Keep us updated (if you decide to do that) as to if it returns.

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

This plant is in a gritty mix - bark, turface and perlite. I initially thought this may be residue from not adequately rinsing the perlite, but the little "beads" or eggs changed my thought.

I'm willing to try rinsing the roots and changing the mix. If nothing else, I will learn something from the experience.

I do have ants. It's Florida and I am never free of them. My bug dude treated today and I also have white footed ants. (Who looks at their itty-bitty feet?) So maybe I'll have a respite while I clean up the roots of the Aloe.

Will keep you updated!

• rredbbeard
    10 years ago

Root mealies-- I'm glad to finally know what these are.

Thanks.....I think...

Rick

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Sorry to take so long with an update! After turning the Aloe out of the pot, the roots look healthy. I did find that the spot looked more like green algae than mold. I have green algae growing on a lot of things and it runs around with the ever present mold as well. I found no larvae or mealies in the mix or on the roots.

So I gave it a good rinse and I even sprayed with a dilute copper solution that I have used on other plants. After drying and resting, I gave it a new soil mix and new pot.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Here's a close-up. I don't know enough about the life cycle of algae - or mold, for that matter - to know if the little beads are indeed eggs or spores.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Crenda,
    Thanks for the update. I've never seen green... whatever that is lol. I hope whatever that is doesn't return. I believe cleaning it and giving it a new pot and soil was a good idea. Did you use the same mix as before or a different kind this time? Be sure to update us again down the road to state whether or not it has returned. Here's to hoping it doesn't.

Your Aloe looks pretty happy (root wise).

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Yes and no on the soil. I made up a new gritty mix with fir bark and new supplies of perlite and turface. I think the last was pine bark. And I did not throw in any of the miracle gro soil this time.

And as you suggested on the jade thread, I elevated the pot. I should have done that sooner. When my foggy mornings look like this, you just know the pots are sitting on water. (Pea soup! You can't see the other side of the canal.) It's just something silly that I overlooked.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Crenda,
    Sounds good to me. I'll be interested in seeing how it does down the road. I had the same issue with potted plants that were potted in Miracle Gro soil, so maybe there's a possibility that it's something in their soil. Some people have no issues with their soil, I've had several bags and all the same issues. :/ If it doesn't return... I'll begin to wonder if it really wasn't MG soil afterall.

Thanks, but I wasn't the one who recommended elevating your Jade (if you were giving me credit).

Wow, that looks like some dense fog for sure!

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 19:33

• Danielle Franklin-Langham
    8 years ago

I came across your post because I was searching mold on aloe plants. I just bought an aloe plant last weekend at lowes with an assortment of succulents that came potted together. I seperated all the succulents and divided my aloe plant into three little plants. I used clear plastic drinking cups to start off all the plants and repotted with miracle grow potting soil making sure to put holes in the bottom of all the cups a least 5-7 holes) All my other plants are doing great but I noticed, being that the cups are clear that the same green mold on your aloe plant is growing in all three cups of my aloe. None of the other plants have it. Only the aloe... Right now anyway. Since these have been divided and don't have much root development will the suggestion in your feed about the peroxide harm the plant or do you think it should be fine to use this method? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

• Bre Renee
    7 years ago

does anyone know what this could be? Its all over the soil which is rock hard. Its been there for months. I have several aloe plants all in the same light with the same soil and watering schedule but this is the only one with this problem.

• kwie2011
    7 years ago

Bre Renee, start your own thread. This one is 2 years old. You'll get way more help with your own thread.

• Bre Renee
    7 years ago

How do i do that

• kwie2011
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Go to the top of this page and click on "cactus & succulents." It'll open the main page for the cactus and succulent forum. Near the top of that page, click on the green box that says "ask a question." That will open your own thread. Give it a nice descriptive name so people will know what it's about at a glance.

• Bre Renee
    7 years ago

Thank you!

• Goda Gedminaitė
    7 years ago

Same thing happened to my cacti, and I have no idea what this is, It's only on cacti that my dad gave to me and I think he was keeping them outside, 4 of those cacti died they just turned into smelly goo, I think it's some kind of mold or fungus, I'm worried because I recently found this on my succulent that was being kept near these cacti.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County