Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solaris32

Need help figuring out what's wrong with my Aloe Vera

solaris32
9 years ago

Updated Feb 3:
Thanks for the advice you guys, but I've got another problem. One of my plants has gotten better, the other has not gotten better, maybe even a tad worse. And I've done nothing special to one that I didn't do equally to the other.

After making this thread I moved them both back to under the porch out of direct sunlight as I prefer them looking nice and green like the right one does now in the following pic.

http://puu.sh/fr0er/6cd5831f27.jpg

I have no clue what's going on with my left one :(.

Original post:
http://puu.sh/f7qPR/f6f1af6878.jpg
http://puu.sh/f7sQh/98309078f3.jpg
http://puu.sh/f7qEt/7321e3a1bc.jpg
http://puu.sh/f7qLd/a50d5b52a2.jpg

If you notice from the pics they're kinda brown, especially the left one, and their leaves are curling inward.

I've had these for about 8 months now. I'm in Arizona and right now it's winterish time (it never gets below freezing and rarely to 40 degrees even at night). I've got them in a spot in my yard where they only get direct sunlight for maybe 4-5 hours a day at this time of the year. The Aloe are in the proper soil meant for succulants. I haven't watered them much at all, I'm wondering if that's the problem? Or are they getting too much direct sunlight? Or not enough? (Prior to a week ago they were on my porch and getting no direct sunlight). I originally had them in the direct sunlight and they got sunburnt so I moved them to the porch where they got no direct light and they improved. But now they are getting bad for some reason, and the curled leaves has me worried.

I hope it's not the cold (it really doesn't get "that" cold here anyway) because bringing them inside isn't really an option as there's nowhere to put them where they can also get even indirect sunlight.

This post was edited by solaris32 on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 10:03

Comments (16)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

They're too dry I think. Maybe those pots are drying them out faster than you think. I'd give them a lot more water at first until the pots absorb some moisture.

• solaris32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is my assumption as well. I will continue to water them more frequently. I was hesitant to do so because I read that over-watering is the most common and easy way to kill these, but I guess I was much too sparse.

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with Cooper. Water them until you see water coming out of the drainage holes (why not get rid of the drip trays?), don't do little sips.

You should be able to put them in full sun this time of year, but you have to acclimate them, you can't just put them out in direct sunlight. They will turn a reddish brown color, and there is nothing wrong with that; it's like us getting a tan. If you don't like it, simply move them back into indirect light and they will green back up!

Hope this helps!

Nancy

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Well also with unglazed ceramic pots they soak up water at first. Some people soak them before they use them because they're like sponges. Once they're damp then you water less.

• solaris32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice you guys, but I've got another problem. One of my plants has gotten better, the other has not gotten better, maybe even a tad worse. And I've done nothing special to one that I didn't do equally to the other.

After making this thread I moved them both back to under the porch out of direct sunlight as I prefer them looking nice and green like the right one does now in the following pic.

http://puu.sh/fr0er/6cd5831f27.jpg

I have no clue what's going on with my left one :(.

This post was edited by solaris32 on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 17:00

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Could be anything. Maybe even old age. I doubt you did anything wrong.

• solaris32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought it at a store only a year ago, along with the other one.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Did it say Aloe Vera? That's pretty big for an Aloe Vera. Sometimes they get taller but those leaves are pretty long.

• solaris32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes there's no question they are the standard variety of Aloe Vera. Look up pics and you'll see, but it's not normal for them to droop down like that.

Should I prune those drooping leaves on the brown one?

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I probably would but it could end up with some sort of infections or rot or whatever. It's up to you. It also could heal up and be much better too.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

My Aloe vera plants grew similar to yours, rather flat or droopy as you say, when they were in pots. Not sure if that was a factor, but once I planted them in the ground they have taken a more upright shape. Honestly, they probably got watered better after I put them into the ground.

I did not cut off any leaves. When the lowest leaves are hard and crispy, I give them a tug and remove them when they are ready.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

They both look like they are shriveling from lack of water. How often have you been watering and how much?

Planto

• solaris32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Up until a week ago very little. But a week ago they both got quite drenched in the rain and the soil is still moist. What I don't understand is why, in the updated first post, one plant is nice and green and the other isn't.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Planting them in the ground is actually not a bad idea. Although if it were me I'd probably just get another one. Losing a plant's no fun but it happens. Don't blame yourself- I can't count the number of succulent and houseplants I've lost. Probably thousands.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I see in the last picture link that bag of cactus soil. Did you amend this soil when you potted your Aloes? It doesn't look like you added much perlite or gravel to the mix, but maybe you did. This soil can compact and dry out. Once it is dry, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get it hydrated again. Water will run around the hard dry soil, but not through it. So then your plant is not getting the water you are giving it.

I have had plants appear to have nice moist soil, but the soil around the roots was compacted and dry - meaning my plant was very thirsty. The leaves on your aloes look thin, making me think your plant is not getting the water. The recent rain may have soaked through any dried soil. Let's hope so!

The color doesn't concern me as much as the thin leaves. These 2 plants had pretty much the same growing conditions. The one on the right did receive more of the evening sun. That one stayed brownish, but both had the plump leaves one expects to see.

• solaris32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No I didn't add anything to the potting soil. When I check the soil for moisture I do shove my finger in deep, but now I will keep an extra eye out for the soil compaction you describe. So far I'm pretty sure this isn't this case though.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21