Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

Apparently I have NO luck with ANY type of aloe :(

LilBit7765
9 years ago

Ok guys, I need your help! One, for an ID, and two, why the h$!! do I KEEP KILLING aloes?!! I've had this one for two months. LITERALLY 2 months. It's in the soil it came In (I was afraid to repot in winter ESPECIALLY with my luck with aloes :( )
I FINALLY water it VERY SPARINGLY 3 days ago. I lost one of the pups to rot. I'll post a picture of the rotted pup Next. (Sorry STILL don't know how to post MULTIPLE pics)
Do you think most of the water went to this pup? Should I NOT WATER at all UNTIL spring?! (I know this sounds kinda crazy but I REALLY don't want to lose the WHOLE plant)
Oh by the way it was labeled "retro aloe" if that helps at all. Lol

Comments (19)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so here's the rotted pup.......please excuse the trash can lid I know it's tacky but well unfortunatley the pups going in the garbage :(
    I REALLY don't understand this though, because the heat is on, everything here has been drying out quicker, so I don't understand why or how this happened. So if you experienced aloe growers could help a girl out it would be MUCH APPRECIATED! :)
    Also I got a aloe blue elf recently as a gift, any special care for that one in winter so I DONT kill it as well? Thanks again!

Hmm.....looking at the pup one leave is WAY MORE ROTTED than the rest, could I have maybe gotten water on the pups leaf and it sat there? Probably so huh? :(
    Still, I would appreciate ANY tips on care (besides watering carefully lol)

• Colleen E
    9 years ago

It needs to be in the proper soil. Until you do that, you'll be very liable to lose them.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

You're sure that's an Aloe - my immediate thought was Hechtia / Dyckia, and as such you're likely cooking it (too much heat and not enough water)?

/pours another glass to see more clearly

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

my hechtia has smooth leaf margins, but could be dyckia.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmmm.......well it wouldn't be the first time a nursery labeled a plant wrong. I thought I watered more carefully, but perhaps I poured some on the leaf and it ran down and collected at the base of the pup. I felt the soil and it's dry already. It's not in a completely horrid soil. It looks to be half cactus-succulent soil and half perlite. So any care advice? I'll look it up to see if it looks like a Dyckia. Thanks for all the help! :)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well now I'm even MORE confused! Lol I googled pictures of Hechtia/Dyckia and yes there are a couple that resemble it but my leaves seam fleshier. Also I googled pictures of "aloe retro" and two pictures (out of the few that came up DID look like mine too) one thing the nursery did say is that in the beginning of fall the plant had turned red and they thought it was getting TOO much sun. (I happened to see it in the bathroom there and asked if it was for sale and had asked them why they would bring it inside next to a window INSTEAD of outside with the rest of the plants.) do dyckia a turn red in cooler temps like aloes? Do I have to wait for flowers to know for sure?

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

If the leaves are actually succulent it is probably an Aloe, though there are indeed some succulent Dyckias (and a few Hecthias)⦠looks like an Aloe to me, but not recognize that one⦠has HUGE teeth for an aloeâ¦. probably some hybrid.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Maybe it is Aloe dorotheae? Here is mine while stressed, so it is red. It returns to green, just like yours. The leaves on mine might be a little broader, and that may be the full sun and being PIG.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! And yes Crenda I believe it looks like yours too! Thank you SOOO MUCH EVERYONE!! So ANY care tips UNTIL I can get it into a better mix come spring? Thanks again!

• bahia
    9 years ago

Looks like your Aloe is A. dorothaea, part of the Retro Succulents offerings from Monrovia growers. This species is a bit more sensitive to rotting out even when grown outdoors here in northern California. In full sun, they are supposed to turn bright red, that isn't a problem. I suspect yours was too wet at some pot, got infected by a fungal rot, and it has spread. I'd suggest giving it as warm and dry as you can arrange, and withhold watering for several weeks. This Aloe can easily go a month or more without water in winter. Maybe dust the base of the plant with a fungicide as well. A heated greenhouse with very bright light and good air circulation would probably be better than indoors, as at your latitude, the lower light levels in winter aren't helping either. This isn't one of the easiest Aloe species to keep happy as an indoor plant, nor even outdoors here in northern California where winter rains and chill can rot it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monrovia Retro Aloe series

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the ID and words of wisdom! :)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooops!!! Sorry! Duplicate post!

This post was edited by LilBit7765 on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 20:37

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

FWIW - I really don't like the goofy names this Retro Series sales gimmick is giving the plants. It is difficult enough to ID some of them. They should stick to the Latin botanical names.

I'll take your word for it that these are more prone to rot, especially during the winter. My winters are quite mild, so I can't compare the experience. But as for water during the summer, mine did fine outside in the ground through our very soggy summer rains. I have dry, sunny winters.

I keep all my plants in a gritty mix. I even fill the holes with gritty mix when I plant them outside. I figure it gives them a leg up for drainage during those wet months, even though the area is elevated. I probably don't water more than once a month in the winter. If it has been really hot (like this year in the 80s) and dry, I will water more often.

I would take the plant out of the pot and look at the roots. They should be firm and whitish. Remove any that look slimy or dead. And while doing that, go ahead a repot in a good, well draining mix. Be sure to remove all of the old soil from the roots. It can cause problems later. Don't water for at least a week after repot.

If you wait until spring, it may be too late.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I just wanted to give you an idea on the size of this plant, too. This is a picture when I bought it last March.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I find that it pups pretty heavily and grows pretty fast. This picture is from this morning. It is has put up an inflo, so I'll be excited to see that bloom! That is a one-foot ruler at the bottom.

Good luck!

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Crenda! Yours is a BEAUTY!! I hope I can grow mine half as good! Thanks for the advice. I will do as you say and pull it out and take a look at whats going on beneath. Then I'll do the repot into the gritty. (I have plenty on hand lol) I was just a little Leary being winter and all but I suppose if I keep it dry for a week or two it should be ok! Thanks again! :)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh by the way, I TOTALLY agree with you on the retro series names! It does seem to make an already difficult task EVEN MORE TEDIOUS! Lol
    Have a great day everyone!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Here is mine a couple of years back. The winter sun can turn it really red . but it is bit cold sensitive so I do move it in and out.
    {{gwi:2124230}}

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing your pic wantonamara!