Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkilynn_gw

have you ever heard of a love plant??

nikkilynn
17 years ago

we are looking for a plant and we think it was called a love plant. have you ever heard of such a thing???

Comments (18)

• Denise
    17 years ago

Hm... "Love" plant. There's the heart-leaf philadendron. There's the Purple Passion Plant and Passion Flower. I'm not familiar with one simply called "Love" plant. Did you do a google search? Without a botanical name, it could be about anything!

Denise in Omaha

• javamilk
    17 years ago

Assuming you're not talking about the magic bean one...check out the link to Dave's Garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupid's Dart/Love Plant

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

There is a Hoya plant that has the shape of a heart. But will not grow from a leaf. Norma

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Nikki,
    I think what Norma is referring to to Hoya Kerrii. That has nice heart-shaped leaves. It is nicknamed "sweetheart hoya". And I keep rereading your post and it says nothing about wanting to grow it from a leaf, so I'm at a loss about what the above post means?? Anyway, I've attached a link to a pic of hoya kerrii.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya Kerrii

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Here's a link to a pic from Bob Smoley's pictures of a variegated Hoya Kerrii. It's the 7th pic down (click on it to enlarge it).....

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated H. Kerrii

• plantomaniac
    17 years ago

I have heard of a "love plant," but maybe my information is incorrect... I believe it is some coloration of anacamperosa variegata (forgive me if my spelling is incorrect...). I own a "love plant" I believe... a bit FICKLE if you ask me, maybe it is just mine though... it loses leaves constantly.

• milwdave
    17 years ago

I'm not sure about this but isn't there a Ceropegii with heart shapde leaves? That might be it.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Yes Dave,

That would be Ceropegia woodii (sort of rounded heart shaped leaves, but pretty small). I think commonly called 'string of hearts', never heard it called love plant.

• jenseeka
    17 years ago

I'm with Pirate_girl... I have that plant and it is so named, String of hearts. All my friends recognise it as that name but I asked 2 or 3 of them about love plant and they said they've never heard of that reference to this plant or any other plant.

• rjm710
    17 years ago

It seems that the plant in question turned out to be a Bryophyllum/Kalanchoe. Gotta love those common names!
    Rusm*!frusm#@$!

Here is a link that might be useful: It's a Bryo!

• plantomaniac
    17 years ago

Hmm... that was not the plant I was thinking of when I thought "love plant," as I thought the anacamperosa I had was called a love plant, but who knows... like you said rjm710... "Gotta love those common names!" Pfffttt! Pretty plant by the way! I like the varigated one with the pink on it!

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

The common name for this plant is Mother of Thousands or as some of us who've known it personally, Mother of Millions. I've never heard the reference to 'love plant'.

• space_turtle
    17 years ago

there's a kinda weedy viny plant grows in the back yard here that sticks to your clothes with thousands of tiny ...blades? spikes? blades. like little claws, all over its stems and leaves.
    my parents always called it the lover's plant, or lover's vine, or something, because you'd walk through a patch of it and it'd end up all up between your legs... heh

i don't know the real name of this plant..

• cactuslover
    17 years ago

I think plant Nikki looking for should be Hoya which has the heart shape. I'm unsure whether it can grow up by leave but I ever saw some people put its leave into the pot. Maybe you should search it through google or yahoo

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus Lover Blog

• bobby_plants
    17 years ago

Just found this - sounds like what you were talking about >

Cute either way :))

Here is a link that might be useful: heart shaped hoya

• flyrchld
    17 years ago

I was just looking it up online, because I bought one in August of last year. I keep the little plant care tags for future reference and this is what it says. Family: Portulaceae. Genus: Anacampseros. Species variety: rufescens. Common name: Love Plant. It is a succulent. Prefers filtered light. grows to 3", blooms in summer, hardy to 32F, water when dry. From South Africa is a small rosette which blushes royal purple in strong light, pink flowers apear in summer. Requires excellent drainage from a porous soil. Prefers ample air circulation. Water thoroughly when soil is dry to the touch.
    I'm horticulturally challenged, but I've managed not to kill it, so I'm guessing it's pretty easy to keep healthy.
    Hope that helps.

• tanyag
    17 years ago

I just bought one two weeks ago - my second actually. The name on the tag is anacampseros rufescens/love plant. It has green and purplish leaves. Mine is actually about to bloom. I am growing it in pure fired clay.

• emiliasgarden
    15 years ago

Hello! Love-plant is Kalanchoe pinnata, or better known lately, Bryophyllum pinnatum. This common name comes from the English-speaking Caribbean and it is given to this speices because the extract of the leaves of this plant is used in several naturist medicines and love brew.

Here is a picture of the plant:
    {{gwi:477037}}

Cheers,
    Jorge Joel...

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville