Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have you ever heard of a love plant??

Posted by nikkilynn (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 19:37

we are looking for a plant and we think it was called a love plant. have you ever heard of such a thing???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have you ever heard of a love plant??

Hm... "Love" plant. There's the heart-leaf philadendron. There's the Purple Passion Plant and Passion Flower. I'm not familiar with one simply called "Love" plant. Did you do a google search? Without a botanical name, it could be about anything!

Denise in Omaha

o

Assuming you're not talking about the magic bean one...check out the link to Dave's Garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupid's Dart/Love Plant

o

There is a Hoya plant that has the shape of a heart. But will not grow from a leaf. Norma

o

Nikki,
I think what Norma is referring to to Hoya Kerrii. That has nice heart-shaped leaves. It is nicknamed "sweetheart hoya". And I keep rereading your post and it says nothing about wanting to grow it from a leaf, so I'm at a loss about what the above post means?? Anyway, I've attached a link to a pic of hoya kerrii.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya Kerrii

o
And the variegated form...

Here's a link to a pic from Bob Smoley's pictures of a variegated Hoya Kerrii. It's the 7th pic down (click on it to enlarge it).....

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated H. Kerrii

o

I have heard of a "love plant," but maybe my information is incorrect... I believe it is some coloration of anacamperosa variegata (forgive me if my spelling is incorrect...). I own a "love plant" I believe... a bit FICKLE if you ask me, maybe it is just mine though... it loses leaves constantly.

o

I'm not sure about this but isn't there a Ceropegii with heart shapde leaves? That might be it.

Dave
Milwaukee

o

Yes Dave,

That would be Ceropegia woodii (sort of rounded heart shaped leaves, but pretty small). I think commonly called 'string of hearts', never heard it called love plant.

o

I'm with Pirate_girl... I have that plant and it is so named, String of hearts. All my friends recognise it as that name but I asked 2 or 3 of them about love plant and they said they've never heard of that reference to this plant or any other plant.

o

It seems that the plant in question turned out to be a Bryophyllum/Kalanchoe. Gotta love those common names!
Rusm*!frusm#@$!

Here is a link that might be useful: It's a Bryo!

o

Hmm... that was not the plant I was thinking of when I thought "love plant," as I thought the anacamperosa I had was called a love plant, but who knows... like you said rjm710... "Gotta love those common names!" Pfffttt! Pretty plant by the way! I like the varigated one with the pink on it!

o

The common name for this plant is Mother of Thousands or as some of us who've known it personally, Mother of Millions. I've never heard the reference to 'love plant'.

o

there's a kinda weedy viny plant grows in the back yard here that sticks to your clothes with thousands of tiny ...blades? spikes? blades. like little claws, all over its stems and leaves.
my parents always called it the lover's plant, or lover's vine, or something, because you'd walk through a patch of it and it'd end up all up between your legs... heh

i don't know the real name of this plant..

o

I think plant Nikki looking for should be Hoya which has the heart shape. I'm unsure whether it can grow up by leave but I ever saw some people put its leave into the pot. Maybe you should search it through google or yahoo

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus Lover Blog

o

Just found this - sounds like what you were talking about >

Cute either way :))

Here is a link that might be useful: heart shaped hoya

o

I was just looking it up online, because I bought one in August of last year. I keep the little plant care tags for future reference and this is what it says. Family: Portulaceae. Genus: Anacampseros. Species variety: rufescens. Common name: Love Plant. It is a succulent. Prefers filtered light. grows to 3", blooms in summer, hardy to 32F, water when dry. From South Africa is a small rosette which blushes royal purple in strong light, pink flowers apear in summer. Requires excellent drainage from a porous soil. Prefers ample air circulation. Water thoroughly when soil is dry to the touch.
I'm horticulturally challenged, but I've managed not to kill it, so I'm guessing it's pretty easy to keep healthy.
Hope that helps.

o

I just bought one two weeks ago - my second actually. The name on the tag is anacampseros rufescens/love plant. It has green and purplish leaves. Mine is actually about to bloom. I am growing it in pure fired clay.

o

Hello! Love-plant is Kalanchoe pinnata, or better known lately, Bryophyllum pinnatum. This common name comes from the English-speaking Caribbean and it is given to this speices because the extract of the leaves of this plant is used in several naturist medicines and love brew.

Here is a picture of the plant:
Photobucket

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here