Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanzjade

Variegated jade branch from a green jade tree?

nanzjade z5 MA
9 years ago

Has anyone had a green jade produce a variegated branch like this?
It came off of a large green jade... it fell off during a repot. I was so amazed by it, he let me have the piece. I've never seen one with a yellow/light green hue before.

Nancy

Comments (47)

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

I haven't had that happen on my green jade plant.

Very nice and exciting indeed!

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Well all those variegates started at some point from a "sport" or "mutation" like this but it doesn't happen often! That is a VERY lucky find!!!! Keep it growing and it will be up to you to determine if it is very similar to an existing cultivar or something very new. How exciting and enjoy it!! Awesome!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

as wood noted.. all variegated plants.. came off a green plant.. somewhere back in time ...

viability is an issue of how much variegation ... and whether there is enough green for the cutting to THRIVE ... as compared to struggle ..

in the hosta world.. we see a lot of this ... and the all white ones are called terminal whites... as once you cut them off momma.. there is not enough chlorophyll for it to survive ...

somewhere between enough.. and not enough ... is where most are .. and all you can do.. is enjoy the show ...

have fun watching it.. its all very exciting ... congrats

ken

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Just as Wood said, Got to come from somewhere. Well the older we get the more we variegate. Look at us. My hair is 1/2 brown, 1/2 white. Soon it will be all white. A similar event happens to plants. Coming from the old center sprout or some times a new sprout.
    Also as Ken said, I have grown seeds that came out all white. Once it used up it's food supply in it's seed pod, it dies. The more variegate it is, the weaker it is. Much easier to die of most problems that the all green can live thur.
    Stush

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

How exciting is that, what a wonderful find! I have been on the lookout for a variegated Jade for some time so I would just love to find one on my plants....somehow I don't think that will happen, but then I guess all those other folks who have discovered the lovely variegates we see also said that!! I hope it does well for you :)

Gill UK

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies and kind compliments. So far it's in just Repti bark & chunky perlite (was potting up holiday cacti that day... and thought it was better in this mix than sitting out in the air to dry up). Was contemplating adding a little diatomaceous earth. Once I see some growth I'll do low dosage Foliage Pro.

Camellia1... I'm beyond thrilled, I should say it's about time for the mother plant to do something exciting, lol. Have taken a few plain green cuttings thought the years.

Woodnative... heh, maybe I'll nickname it pretty mutant, lol. I have no idea if it exists & have a scientific name. It probably does... so I'm not throwing a party for it.... yet.

Ken... I agree on the chlorophyll issue makes them more tricky & slower growers. I suppose I'll treat it like my other 2 variegated jades, basically a 1-2 feet in from a southern window and make sure dry before next watering.

Stush.. yup the mother plant is at least 10 yrs old, and guess it decided to have a highlight. Maybe it'll put out more crazy ones, I'm on speed dial if it does, lol. Sometimes I get bored of my plain green jades that aren't coloring... but I guess one never knows what the future holds for them.

Gill... thanks for the well wishes. I hope I take care of it well too (ohh the pressure!) Hope you find a variegation someday!

I will post an update if any major changes (another view below)
    Nancy

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

How lucky can you get? I have variegated Jades and non variegated Jades, but not both on one plant. This is one of my variegated ones.

Christopher

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

NanzJade_z5
    Please show a pic of the mother plant.
    Your Jade looks as my Chinese Ovata variegata.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Christopher, that is a beautiful variegated jade, love the almost white top section! Do you grow that one in a sunny southern window like the green ones? I nearly scorched mine, maybe I forgot to water it then... just scared of hurting them. Any tips? your looks great!

Hi Oks2n2, thanks for your pic comparison. I don't have the best photo of the mother, this is after it was repotted. I did ask him to look to see if there was a pic of the variegated branch on the mother plant. (I do have 3 year old offspring that may show the leaves better & will post in a moment..incase it helps) Would love to know more on the variety, if you happen to know... thanks!

Nancy
    p.s. This mom plant had a sister plant... I had a thread on it about basal stem rot... cuttings turned to mush & I couldn't save it :(

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is an offspring...if it helps for variety ID

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Nancy, I have most of my Jades in south facing windows. When I moved to my current place, I found that some got sunburn in the new window, but they soon adapted.

I keep mine all in terra cotta pots, and do not water very often.

Good luck with yours, and take plenty of cuttings when the plant is large enough, to keep the variety going.

Christopher

This post was edited by kaktuskris on Sat, Jan 10, 15 at 13:55

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Nancy, that is a wonderful sport/mutation!
    I love the strong variegated bands. You have a real gem :-)

Josh

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy!
    mother plant and offspring look as an ordinary Ovata. Have this plant bloomed ever? If so, what color were the flowers - white or pinkish?
    Oksana.

This post was edited by Oks2n2 on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 3:25

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New to the bark based mix...so I hope it roots okay! I gave it a light watering today & will check it later in week.

Chris, that jade is incredible...love the purple waves!
    Thanks for your growing tips, I will get all my jades prime south locations...have plenty of southern windows... just a little shuffle of furniture... will try to do this week.
    Also...will try to make clones someday :)

Josh, thanks for the kind compliments & calling it a gem :) Your collection is beyond amazing. I wish I had your weather to grow my jades... but with what I'm learning & implementing they should improve.

Oksana, thanks for feedback, unfortunately never seen a bloom, I live in a cold zone/Massachusetts. Even if it's not a new type, I'm very okay with that... each one has their own style/character.

Thanks for chiming in all.
    Nancy

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Nancy,

Thanks.

I am in Massachusetts now also...

Jade cuttings root for me easily, I have a 'Hobbit' cutting that is ready for planting that I just left in an empty bonsai pot on my plant cart, I let all my cuttings just root without soil before planting.

Christopher

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Even if a similar/same mutant exists this sport is beautiful and seems to have very nice variegation!! I love it!!! Keep us updated!!

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, regarding the larger variegated jade cutting... the very most bottom set of leaves has a some wrinkles... hoping it's using it as storage to make roots. The bark media is quite loose, so yesterday I took it out, and there was zero roots. The tiny cutting has just a couple tiny roots 1/4" or less.

Christopher, hey neighbor :-) nice knowing another jade enthusiast! Thanks again for the help. I did have the variegated cutting out on a empty tray for 2 weeks and the bottom was just drying up, (knocked off anything squishy) so that's why I tried planting it sooner than later. My house is very dry, I don't know if that's part of it... run the heat a lot. For now it's still in the bark (which I think is just about dry already, no water since weekend.)
    If you want me to take it out of the bark mix today/tomorrow & take a pic of the cuttings, I'd be happy to, just let me know.

Woodnative thank you for the compliment & enthusiasm!

here's a new pic for update

Nancy

This post was edited by NanzJade_z5 on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 14:26

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic to see the little cutting

9 years ago

I don't typically root or grow Jades in bark mixes...I prefer something with a little more grit. Your mix looks a bit open and may not hold moisture, so I might recommend more Perlite or some form of porous grit (turface, DE, pumice, scoria) to ensure more contact for the roots.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Nancy:

I agree with Josh. Your mix looks better suited to certain orchids than to succulents.

This is a "Hobbit" cutting I took a while ago, just put in my empty bonsai pot on my plant cart. You can see the roots forming.

Christopher

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

As Josh & Christopher pointed out, I also grow them in gritty mix (I read lots of posts by Josh!). Here is the photo of Gollum grown from the leaf in gritty mix:

and large photo is more recent (I had 2 leaves started at the same time).

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 21:37

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Josh, Christopher & Rina for your time, pics & info...

I have plenty of the perlite and DE... so do I use each as a third?
    I took a picture if it helps, each separate product & then mixed together about 1/3 each. Pretty sure I need to downsize the bark.

I did sift a small amount of each with kitchen strainers (like a window screen). I will rinse it before use too.

Absolutely will read more asap on the gritty's / jades /holiday cacti... my head is spinning sometimes when I'm done.

As for the Al's gritty mix that's great for jades, I couldn't locate turface. I did find a source for the granite grit just haven't been to that town yet, not far though..can do. I did want to make it & try it out on a couple of jades before converting the collection. However with the perlite mentioned above maybe it's not needed...I believe neither holds water. .. I can read more on that later today.

thoughts?
    thanks again,
    Nancy

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Nancy
    Try searching this forum for 'substitute for turface'. Or google it, they list distributors.
    You may be able to find source in your location or close by.

I think you are getting great materials. Eventually, you'll 'relax' - nothing is absolutely set in stone. As long as you well understand purpose of the mix, you'll be able to mix it without worries. You can work well with what you already have.
    (Btw, in that photo of gollum leave, I made mix with aquarium gravel since I didn't have any granite. Now I use chicken gravel from farm supply store.)

You var. jade is very nice, hope it grows well for you.
    Rina

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Nancy, you can get Turface at John Deere stores. I bought some outside of Worcester last year.

9 years ago

The DE is a fine substitute for Turface, so feel free to proceed! I like the look of the mix you made in the recent image, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it immediately. You are right, as well, about the bark being overly large in this equation; but with the amendment of Perlite and DE, it should work fine until the next re-potting.

Josh

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Rina, I forgot to say how pretty your gollums are, and very cool you grew them from the leaves! (I've only done the ovata's) Thanks for the follow up about the medium....more on that in a sec.

Hi Laura, thank you!!! Not sure if I'll be out that way anytime soon, I'm in western Ma., but I have family near Worcester that frequent John Deere & visit me... so that may just work :)

Hi Josh, thanks for the insight.... I mixed it up as stated 1/3 each (switched out some of the huge bark pieces with some smaller ones that were nearby... they were annoying me, lol).
    I rinsed the mix & let it drain a moment.

So far only planted the small cutting. It has tiny roots that are higher up on the stem, so I planted it lower. As far as the larger cutting, no roots, I was thinking of just letting it leen on top of the medium... for now it's on a small plate, was worried dampness would make it rot. The bottom 1" is a little soft. I think in the morning I'll move it to on top on the grit in the pot.

One loose leaf fell off..maybe it'll grow, it's in the pot.

Well, that's where it's at...

thanks again everyone!!
    Nancy
    p.s. I may replant my holiday cacti cuttings into this mix (maybe a little extra bark) they don't seem happy in the mostly bark mix. I may update that thread tomorrow.

9 years ago

Great!

Re: Holiday Cacti - how often are you watering the mostly bark mix? In that mix, you need to keep it moist most of the time.

Josh

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Josh,
    I was watering every 3-4 days with a teaspoon to just get the area around the cutting. However, yesterday realizing it was wicked dry, I watered them well, held the drainage hole for a few secs to help it soak. I just checked them, the bark looks dry again, I'll water it again now. Here's a pic before watering.
    Thank you, now I'll try to keep them moist :)
    Nancy

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

I found a tiny variegated tip on my green jade, and detached it. I have nursed it for two years, and at last it is beginning to look like a plant. It has good roots; the leaves are fairly thick, which is not so apparent in the photo.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hello Marguerite. That looks lovely, you are fortunate to have found a variegated tip on your plant, it appears to be doing well for you. They do seem to grow at a slower rate than regular coloured ones. It has the beginnings of a great looking tree for you, well done!

Gill UK

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Thank you, Gill, maybe some day I will be able to send you a cutting.

9 years ago

Wow, so many unique variegates showing up!
    Marguerite, did that mutation appear on an Ovata or an Obliqua? I ask because the shape of the leaves looks like the obliqua form with the pointed tip (and the thicker, stiffer leaf overall).

Josh

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

I know exactly what you mean, Josh. I thought it was an ovata type, but the variegated plant does look more like an obliqua. The mother is in a glass box in the tunnel at the moment, I'll try to check in the next few days and get back to you.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marguerite, thanks for sharing, it's a very cool find... congrats!
    Here's a pic of one of my other variegated jades that has similar leaf shape. It's blushing pink from lots of sun. I wonder if yours will have the same gold/tan bark color, it may be too young to tell though. Yeah, they are slow growers, but they make up for it in beauty. Maybe it'll grow faster this year by giving it Foliage Pro in the spring.

Anyways... enjoy your beauty and let us know how it grows up :)

Nancy

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Thank you, Nancy. That graceful jade of yours, is that Crassula obliqua 'Tricolor'? I lost mine inexplicably, but will soon start another from my sister's plant.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Marguerite,
    Good question, it may be a tricolor, I had a tag... not sure where it is though... will try to see if I can find it. I also gave my brother this variety, will ask if it has a tag. I'll let you know if I find out.... now I'm curious too!

9 years ago

Nancy, yours is definitely a 'Tricolor' :-)

Josh

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Josh!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was wondering, Nancy, how your little coloured sport is doing now? I will post a picture of my little one in a day or so.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for inquiring Marguerite!
    Well, it's been a struggle...
    The large piece finally seems to have rooted and drank some water, it hasn't gown at all and it lost a couple bottom leaves. I added the fine sand as there were roots poking out.
    There was a tiny little variegated piece, it shriveled and died. A couple months ago there was a tiny solid green jade cutting that needed a home, so I stuck it in. I just started to use weak dosage of Foliage Pro, so hopefully it will put out new growth soon.
    Nancy

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Such interesting leaf coloration! A slow grower but worth the wait.

-Erica

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Nancy, it seems to be doing well, and is really beautiful. Congratulations on bringing it on so well. The variegation is very distinctive.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Erica & Marguerite! I really love this jade's unique colors. I'm growing it in bright but indirect sun, I hope I can increase it to some direct sun soon. Will let ya all know if it grows!

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

I am so jealous! I have a couple of pothos, a beautiful anthurium, an African violet, a croton that I split, which is suffering from the split, but still alive, a bonzai pachira tree, a dracaena marginata, and a baby spider plant.

I have been drooling over succulents lately. Anyone want some pothos cuttings in exchange for some jade clippings? I'd love you forever!

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    8 years ago

Any updates on the variegated jade?

Grantgarden2

• nanzjade z5 MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Grant, thanks for asking...bad news though. I had it outside, there was unexpected rains and rot set in. I tried to cut it higher up but it just kept shriveling up. I was so upset with myself for its failure.

C. Ovata variegata (was sold as 'Akai') looks similar so it helps ease the disappointment.

-Nancy