Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danesnpits

I need help sowing Albuca namaquensis

danesnpits
10 years ago

I got some seeds in the mail, but no instructions on how to sow. Can someone point me in the right direct, like soaking seeds, what soil to use, heat or light required and any other pertinent information? Thanks guys!

Comments (9)

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

If you're in the northern hemisphere, now would be the best time to sow them since they're winter growers. Or, you can wait until next fall (I've read that they don't stay viable very long but I've stored their seeds for a year and still got very good germination). Use your regular cactus/succulent potting mix, sprinkle the seeds on top, cover with some coarse sand or gravel, then water well and keep cool. Put the pot in a bag to keep it moist if you feel you'll forget to water it, but unbag when the seedlings start appearing.

• rredbbeard
    10 years ago

I'm probably ordering the same seeds, and wondering how much difference really exists between a.namaquensis and a.spiralis, which I already have growing and blooming here. Would getting nam' seeds be redundant? Please keep us posted about how you do with your seeds.

Happy growing!

--Rick in CT

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I'll have lots of A. namaquensis seed soon. I bought 2 last year and they're blooming like crazy. I've been keeping up with pollination and getting lots of pods. The seed you've purchased is likely from last year's crop. I don't know how long this particular seed is viable but I plan to sow mine soon after it's ripe. Like salt_creep, I've stored other seed that's best when fresh, (Aloe, Haworthia) for over a year and still had very good results. If either of yours don't work out, let me know. I'm sure I'll have way more than I can use.

Also, I'm going to sow some Haworthia seed sometime this week and I plan to take pictures and do a little tutorial that can apply to many types of seed. I haven't found a way to simplify the process into a paragraph - details too important. If you want good results with seed, there are many factors to consider. I'll do my best to cover what I know. Give me a few days.

These flowers smell SO good!

• rredbbeard
    10 years ago

An experienced PBS member just told me that my plant is a.namaquensis, so now I'm trying to find a pollen donor via PBS, but I may just buy another nam'on eBay, since there are a couple available there with racemes started. I ordered seed of a.spiralis from England, which will hopefully be true to name, and I'd be happy to send you a few if you'd like to do a swap. I just saw that my a.setosa bulbs are starting their own racemes (pictured), so there should be a lot of these available too in a few months. These were my first albucas, which got me hooked, given to me by another GW buddy.

--Rick in CT

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

Hanzrobo, how do you go about pollinating Albuca flowers? The flowers do smell great!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

SC, Yes, the flowers seem to be extra aromatic in the heat of the afternoon. I just use the same type of brush I use for Aloes, cheap plastic kids brush, small soft bristle. The Albuca flowers need a little pinch to open up for the brush. I either do that or just wiggle the brush in, then pass the pollen between the flowers on both plants. I haven't taken any special care and the results have been pretty good.

• debsdc01
    7 years ago

I purchased 3 bulbs on line. One is an Albuca Circinata x Spiralis. It was already sprouting. The other 2 are Albuca Namaquensis. I planted them about a week ago and nothing has happened. Is that normal, if it is how long until they sprout?

• salt_creep
    7 years ago

I've had them take a few weeks to wake up, especially if newly transplanted. Water them well to stimulate the roots.

• debsdc01
    7 years ago

Thanks!