Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

New Jades - Hobbit and Crosby's (pics)

Good evening!

I'd like to share a couple pics of my newest Jades, a 'Hobbit' and a 'Crosby's Compact' -

both of these excellent plants were rescued by Meyer Mike from a nursery that was going out of business.

I've thanked him profusely, and I'd like to thank him again publically. Mike's a generous gentleman ;-)

I bare-rooted and re-potted these guys in a mix of fir bark, pumice, turface, gravel, and perlite.

Both plants had taken quite a set searching for sun, so I uprighted them as best I could and have them

turned 180 degrees from the sun.

Now I don't have to wait ten years to have some show-size Jades!

First up: Hobbit

{{gwi:477688}}

{{gwi:477690}}

Second up: Crosby's

{{gwi:477692}}

Josh

Comments (11)

• jade_man
    13 years ago

those look very nice!! And yes Mike is a very generous member of these forums!!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow Josh!! Those are super NICE!! Love the size and the beautiful colors on the tips...very, very pretty! I love both of those leaves. You will do an excellent job growing them so please update us from time to time. Yes, I agree...Mike is a super generous guy for sure! Nice rescue!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Doug.
    You've been missed...how's the Turface growing going?

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

Nancy!
    I just missed your post, so sorry!
    I couldn't believe my luck when I opened the package from Mike...nice big plants, and colorful!
    Also, a little Crown of Thorns had rooted in the soil of the 'Hobbit,' so now I have one of those, too.

Mike also sent me one of his Ponderosa Lemon trees with these Jades.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Cool, Josh. You have sort of a mother/daughter arrangement in the terra cotta pot that looks especially nice.

Mike also sent me a cutting of one of his favorite jades. The cutting itself is doing nicely, and several leaves that fell off in transit are now sitting atop the soil, also rooted.

Thanks, Mike! Everyone appreciates your generosity.

Al

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Al!

That pair is nice, isn't it?
    I'll encourage a bit of foliage separation once the season's further along,
    but I'll definitely keep mother and daughter together.

Are you growing a cutting of Mike's variegated Jade?
    It's become one of my favorites, too.

Josh

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

Great plants! I especially love the Hobbit!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Generous you have been too Josh!
    You deserve them.

I couldn't think of a better person, well maybe a few more, to send them too.;-)

I know they will be well cared for by you, since you certainly have a way with these plants.

They look so awesome Josh, and I thank you for taking good care of them! What a great job planting them. I love that mother daughter one especially..

I appreciate all you, all those here whom have been just as kind and generous to me too. Pay it forward.

Mike:-)

Original Author
    13 years ago

It's a pleasure to steward these fantastic Jades, Mike.

I'll be sending something your way very soon.

Josh

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,
    You certainly got asome nice plants there! Mike really did send you some nice jades. Good luck with them.

Hi Mike,
    Seems like I don't ever hear from you anymore. I hope things are going good with you!
    Andrew

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Andrew, I agree!
    These are a major score...and the price was truly ridiculous! (Ask Mike....)
    It would take me years to grow plants of this size and quality.

This takes the pressure off my other Hobbits and dwarf Jades.

For those trying to contact Mike - he's been working hard, snowed under (literally),
    and lately he's been sick as a dog. As soon as he gets a day off, he'll check e-mail.
    Drop him a short message...it'll get through.

Josh

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor