Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngbehht

How to know 'when' to repot my CC

Sharon Zone 6b
10 years ago

Can someone please take a look at my CC and tell me if I need to repot it? I received it in November in full bloom, a few weeks later, all the blooms fell off and I've been watering thoroughly, but only when the soil feels dry. Well now, the soil feels like cement, very hard so I can't even get my finger into it. The leaves look sort of sucked in and they have little brown tips, they're not plump like I think they should be, maybe I'm wrong.

I thought I was supposed to let it completely dry out, so I've been watering about every 2-3 weeks or so. When I water, I bring it to the sink and flush it with tap/room temp water, then let it sit for about 30 minutes to let all the water drain out (it doesn't take that long!). Then, I put it back on it's tray with pebbles in it that I keep a "bit" of water in for humidity (no, the roots aren't sitting in it).

It sits about 4 feet from a south side window and receives bright light all day, the sun just touches it for about an hour before it sets in the afternoon.

I can get some really good gritty mix to repot it (similar ingredient's to Al's mix) but I'm not sure if I should wait until Spring or Summer and just hope it doesn't die from under watering, since it seems the water just runs down the sides of the hard-packed soil it's in now. Also, do they like to be pot bound? Because this plant is definately pot bound.

Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks.

Sharon

Comments (6)