Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlpgarden

Think I May've Killed My Agave On Accident. Can It Be Saved?

mlpgarden
10 years ago

This is a four year old agave cactus. I'm not exactly sure of the proper type name.
I got the baby from a huge mother out in the Mojave desert 4 summers ago, it was only 3 leaves and about 3 inches tall. I took it home to North Carolina and have kept it in pots ever since, moving it slowly to bigger sized pots over time.
I thought I was doing really good with it. Here is how it looked this past summer (in the back, with the peacock feather in the pot):

{{gwi:478429}}

I had met a fellow at the local farmer's market selling cactus and he told me that they would be safe to be put outside in the winter. I usually keep it inside by a big window. He said 'You can even put it in the ground now if you want to." (good thing I didn't!)

Well our temps recently dropped very low.. like into the teens, this past week. I also was not home for a day when it was sleeting outside, and wasn't able to bring it in.

It looks really sad now!

{{gwi:478430}}

I know it's normal for the bottom leaves to turn yellow or even orange when they're dying off, but it looks like it has spread further up the plant, not just those bottom ones. It only looks green and lively in the very middle leaf area. I've got it inside in a heated room with light, am not going to water it, etc..

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!

Comments (4)