Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

Happy New Year!

hanzrobo
9 years ago

Hello, friends. I've been absent for quite some time. I can't promise that I'll be more present, or even that my responses will be prompt, but I want to catch up with y'all. My plant activity has been reduced to maintenance with the occasional "gotta get this done!" moment. It's fun to find out just how much neglect succulents can take. It's a lot. If I had a New Year's resolution, it would be to find time to get rid of some of these goldurn plants! I really need to free-up some real estate, for reals. Anyhow, ok, here are some plants.

Haworthia pygmaea var. argenteo-maculosa seedlings
{{gwi:2124813}}

Adromischus marianae herrei - grown from seed
{{gwi:2124814}}

new crop of A. herrei
{{gwi:2124815}}

Conophytum angelicae tetragonum Rosyntjie Burg
{{gwi:2124816}}

Haworthia pumila 'Donuts'
{{gwi:2124817}}

Gasteria 'Blue Ox'
{{gwi:2124818}}

Aloe hybrids
{{gwi:2124819}}

Lithops swirly pot - 1 year
{{gwi:2124820}}

Dinteranthus microspermus ssp. puberulus - Onder Namies
{{gwi:2124821}}

Dinteranthus vanzylii
{{gwi:2124822}}

Haworthia comptoniana - Japanese hybrid, seed grown
{{gwi:2124823}}

So much opportunity for growth in 2015!

Comments (14)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Ryan, I can't begin to tell you how nice it is to see you here!!!! I've written you and thought maybe you'd dropped off Mother Earth...LOL I'm sure work and family make it difficult to find time for extracurricular things! Anyway, a most Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours.

Oh, and any time you want to find room, there's always room at my Inn for Haws!!!! Where did you get the Haw seeds? Steve???

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 23:01

• Colleen E
    9 years ago

Aweeesome Adromischus marianae. There's a "definite want" plant, though I, too, naively dream of decreasing my collection, or at least hindering its growth. Nice to see you! My interactions are sorely lacking as well.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Ryno,

I'm glad you posted those pics, because I can check on their progress in about six weeks and likely find that they've doubled in size.

And I miss Colleen and you here, like many others, but you have to do what....

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Happy and a Healthy New Year to everyone and your plants, wherever you and they may be!

Gill UK

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

LOOKY HERE!! A much beloved and missed MIA. Shame on you for letting your life get in the way of the all important garden addiction. Where are your priorities?

I let winter cold fronts clear my shelves. It keeps me guilt free. Poor, poor central Californian does not have blistering cold fronts to clear his shelves and gardens. Reminds me, Another killer freeze is coming up and my freeze cloth was a summer time home for field mice so it looks like lacey swiss cheese.I need to get out there in the 37 degree fog and move pots.

I love the hybrid aloes. Any of those from the seed I sent?Beautiful donuts you have and the wrinkly things, just delightful. If you need to clear anything of those , look my way. Only problem there is my last "Trade" was stopped by the cute Cal customs dogs. Someone should teach those dogs some manners. Maybe I should pack things in dirty socks next time. I know this egocentric greedy anarchist needs to obey the laws.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Happy New Year to you and everyone here on the forum.

Good to see you post, if only for a cameo appearance, as you have some fine plants. One might say your Dinteranthus are spot on. ;-)

tj

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Nice to see you here, Ryan. You certainly have not lost your magic touch with your seedlings. Wonderful plants!

Christopher

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Happy New Year to all...
    Nice to see see a post with photos from you Ryan. Great looking plants as always.

Rina

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Happy New Year! Great plants and babies!

• cardiovascular
    9 years ago

Happy New Year! Ryan, the lithops swirly pot is amazing. Can't wait to see it continue to grow in. I always enjoy the photos you post.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So nice to hear from all of you!

Howard, thanks, it's good to be back even if only momentarily. Sorry if I missed an email from you, my hanzrobo address hasn't been the same since it got hacked. There's also the chance that I completely missed it; things have been crazy these last few months. Yes, the Haw seedlings pictured are seed from Steve. I have many more Haws coming along but they're not much to look at yet. I have a few pots of an H. 'Sizunami' hybrid (produced here) that are coming along nicely. I also made lots of H. maughanii seed this year and had great germination with that.

Colleen, nice to hear from you. I hope all is well up there. I'm glad I'm not the only ill-communicator. You know, A. herrei is a small plant that can be snuck in anywhere. They're not rare in my backyard as I've been leaf-propping them for 2 years so...

Emcee Cactus, I've been feeding with collected rainwater so your estimates may be correct. On the other hand, I've been providing all the neglect of a real desert so... yeeeeahhh boieeeeeee!!

Gill, right back atcha! Auld Lang Syne and such.

Mara, yeah, you're right. Gotta get my priorities straight;)
    Nothing like a good description of some Texas weather to make me feel like a big, lazy wuss. But yes, nothing dies here. I have to make a real effort to kill them. I've actually reached the point where I just leave cuttings and unwanted props out by the curb, just to get them out of my face. No, those hybrids are mostly KG crosses, though I do have your seeds going. I'll send you some pics but they're still small. Interesting that your box was stopped in customs. I wonder if the dogs are just sensitive to plants, or were you sending some Plectranthus neochilus?

tj, Thanks, good to hear from you. Yes, yes, and those 'Donuts' are on point. Amirite? :D

Christopher, Thank you. I hope you and the young man are doing well! I bet it's cold right about now. Has my little friend adjusted well?

Hi Rina! Thanks. Happy New Year!

Thank you, Camelia.

Thanks, Movenpick. I should add a new photo of the swirly pot. It's about 15 months now. Still need lots of thinning out.

Thanks, everybody! This has been nice. I'm hoping to have a little breathing room this year, maybe enough to start participating again. No promises though, k? Love ya'!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Ryan, when you have time, which sounds like there isn't much, I personally, would love to see what you are doing with your Haw seedlings, even if they're not much to look at. I was having some success at pollination but lately it ain't happening. Not sure if it is the season, timing, my technique or what.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Ryan:

The young man is doing better than his old man, thriving as a junior at Hahvud.

Your little friend is growing, albeit slowly, with some nice new yellow growth. This is what it looked like a little while ago.

All the best.

Christopher

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

"...Yes, yes, and those 'Donuts' are on point. Amirite?..."

LOL Those are the quick barbs we need to see.

tj

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm